Dreamcasting Adaptations #16: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Ellen Page is my favourite Julia yet.
I was worried that no one would like that choice. It's just that she's so close to how I thought of her in the book. But even I have to admit that her and Daniel Day Lewis would be a bit weird. I think it's easier to forget the 20 year age difference between Julia and Winston when you're reading the book.

I was worried that no one would like that choice. It's just that she's so close to how I thought of her in the book. But even I have to admit that her and Daniel Day Lewis would be a bit weird. I think it's easier to forget the 20 year age difference between Julia and Winston when you're reading the book.

She's quite close in many ways to how I pictured her too.

As I said, I pictured Julia looking just like a girl I knew in high school, who was 17 at the time. This girl was STUNNING though, and Ellen Page is just regular beautiful.

Julia - Ellen Page

1984-2.jpg

This was an odd one to cast, and I wanted to go with someone unconventional. Ellen Page may be perpetually cast in teen roles, but I think her strength as an actress is her maturity. I imagine Julia as having a very young, naive sort of appearance that masks a lot of wisdom and cleverness. I can clearly picture Ellen Page pulling this off. (Plus it would be an opportunity for Ourchair to finally see her nekkid.)
You had me hard even before you said, "Nekkid".

moonmaster said:
Big Brother - Donald Sutherland

1984-4.jpg

Reputable actor? Check. Sharp features? Check. "Piercing gaze"? Check. Donald Sutherland is Big Brother.
This is brilliant. Donald Sutherland is sorely under-used in Dreamcasting.

All right folks. Now that all of our casts are in I think it's time to start voting. You'll have your winner at a tommorow.

Julia - Ellen Page

1984-2.jpg

This was an odd one to cast, and I wanted to go with someone unconventional. Ellen Page may be perpetually cast in teen roles, but I think her strength as an actress is her maturity. I imagine Julia as having a very young, naive sort of appearance that masks a lot of wisdom and cleverness. I can clearly picture Ellen Page pulling this off. (Plus it would be an opportunity for Ourchair to finally see her nekkid.)

Ellen Page is kinda young. She's only like, 20. And she looks a lot younger. I don't know if she could play a sex-obsessed woman. Actually, I just remembered her role as the predophile in Hard Candy. But still.

And you should have used one of these pictures:
ellen.jpg

ellen_page.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly who the character of Julia was in 1984. Cudos to Moonmaster on that choice.

Planet Man you might want to fix your links. The one for your cast goes to Marvelman's so just warning you.

Ellen Page is kinda young. She's only like, 20. And she looks a lot younger. I don't know if she could play a sex-obsessed woman. Actually, I just remembered her role as the predophile in Hard Candy. But still.
The thought of Ellen Page as a pedophile both disturbs and arouses me.

NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR

07-1984.jpg

• Stephen Rea as Winston Smith.
    This Irish-born thespian is blessed with working class intensity and what All Movie calls "dark, hangdog looks of someone who has been run over by life one too many times." Perfect traits to play Winston Smith.

Rea has recently been seen in films such as is known for his downtroddenly pensive characters from recent films such as V for Vendetta and The Reaping. He is best known for his Oscar-nominated turn in The Crying Game.

[*]Clemence Poesy as Julia.
    This French lady brings her ingenue good looks to play as Winston Smith's thoughtcrime accomplice. Most viewers will recognize Poesy as the haughty Fleur Delacour from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,

I best remember Poesy her supporting role in the hostage comedy Bienvenue Chez Les Rozes as a dangerously oblivious teenager with a sexually curious temperament. She will soon be seen opposite Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes in the action-comedy In Bruges.​

[*]Sean Bean as O'Brien.
    The roguishly handsome performer known for his ambiguously heroic and ambiguously villainous roles, such as the ruthlessly unpredictable Richard Sharpe, the fictional Napoleonic soldier from various British TV movies.

Bean brings his predilection for playing both sides of good and evil with uncanny ambiguity (such as Boromir from The Fellowship of the Ring and Spence from Ronin) to use as the charming yet treacherous O'Brien.​

[*]Martin Landau as Mr. Charrington.
    The Academy award-winning character actor best remembered as makeup expert Rollin Hand from Mission: Impossible and his multi-award winning portrayal of Bela Lugosi from Ed Wood.

Landau brings his decades of experience playing a variety of dodgy-eyed paranoiacs, doomed paternal figures and duplicitous charmers in shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits to play the deceitful shopkeeper.​

[*]David Bowie as Big Brother.
    The trend-chasing multi-talent of film, art and sound maybe remembered for his outlandish getups, cheesy dance tracks and oddball videos, but now, in his 60s, he's transformed into an aging introvert of cool.

Bowie brings his current status as fatherly hipster to fore by playing a different kind of Big Brother: A paternalistic fascist with a lovable exterior and a deceptively genial disposition.​

Last edited:
Yeah I know this round was declared 'closed', but I had to go for a completely new tack since one or two actors were taken already.

I was originally going to go for Ellen Page as Julia with different actors, or Gary Oldman as Winston Smith but with different actors (without Ellen Page)

Yet for some reason, I'm glad that happened because I think I've chosen a cast I'm proud of. I believe in every single actor I picked, and didn't just fib on any of them.

I'm even totally behind on Clemence Poesy as Julia, even though I know no one else will care.

Hopefully people will consider voting for it.

Last edited:
NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR

07-1984.jpg

• Stephen Rea as Winston Smith.
    This Irish-born thespian is blessed with working class intensity and what All Movie calls "dark, hangdog looks of someone who has been run over by life one too many times." Perfect traits to play Winston Smith.

Rea has recently been seen in films such as is known for his downtroddenly pensive characters from recent films such as V for Vendetta and The Reaping. He is best known for his Oscar-nominated turn in The Crying Game.

[*]Clemence Poesy as Julia.
    This French lady brings her ingenue good looks to play as Winston Smith's thoughtcrime accomplice. Most viewers will recognize Poesy as the haughty Fleur Delacour from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,

I best remember Poesy her supporting role in the hostage comedy Bienvenue Chez Les Rozes as a dangerously oblivious teenager with a sexually curious temperament. She will soon be seen opposite Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes in the action-comedy In Bruges.​

[*]Sean Bean as O'Brien.
    The roguishly handsome performer known for his ambiguously heroic and ambiguously villainous roles, such as the ruthlessly unpredictable Richard Sharpe, the fictional Napoleonic soldier from various British TV movies.

Bean brings his predilection for playing both sides of good and evil with uncanny ambiguity (such as Boromir from The Fellowship of the Ring and Spence from Ronin) to use as the charming yet treacherous O'Brien.​

[*]Martin Landau as Mr. Charrington.
    The Academy award-winning character actor best remembered as makeup expert Rollin Hand from Mission: Impossible and his multi-award winning portrayal of Bela Lugosi from Ed Wood.

Landau brings his decades of experience playing a variety of dodgy-eyed paranoiacs, doomed paternal figures and duplicitous charmers in shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits to play the deceitful shopkeeper.​

[*]David Bowie as Big Brother.
    The trend-chasing multi-talent of film, art and sound maybe remembered for his outlandish getups, cheesy dance tracks and oddball videos, but he's now in his 60s.

Bowie brings his current status as fatherly hipster to fore by playing a different kind of Big Brother: A paternalistic fascist with a lovable exterior and a deceptively genial disposition.​

I've never even read the book and even I declare this to be the winnah! :shock:

Latest posts

Back