Dreamcasting Adaptations #16: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR

07-1984.jpg

• Stephen Rea as Winston Smith.
    This Irish-born thespian is blessed with working class intensity and what All Movie calls "dark, hangdog looks of someone who has been run over by life one too many times." Perfect traits to play Winston Smith.

Rea has recently been seen in films such as is known for his downtroddenly pensive characters from recent films such as V for Vendetta and The Reaping. He is best known for his Oscar-nominated turn in The Crying Game.

[*]Clemence Poesy as Julia.
    This French lady brings her ingenue good looks to play as Winston Smith's thoughtcrime accomplice. Most viewers will recognize Poesy as the haughty Fleur Delacour from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,

I best remember Poesy her supporting role in the hostage comedy Bienvenue Chez Les Rozes as a dangerously oblivious teenager with a sexually curious temperament. She will soon be seen opposite Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes in the action-comedy In Bruges.​

[*]Sean Bean as O'Brien.
    The roguishly handsome performer known for his ambiguously heroic and ambiguously villainous roles, such as the ruthlessly unpredictable Richard Sharpe, the fictional Napoleonic soldier from various British TV movies.

Bean brings his predilection for playing both sides of good and evil with uncanny ambiguity (such as Boromir from The Fellowship of the Ring and Spence from Ronin) to use as the charming yet treacherous O'Brien.​

[*]Martin Landau as Mr. Charrington.
    The Academy award-winning character actor best remembered as makeup expert Rollin Hand from Mission: Impossible and his multi-award winning portrayal of Bela Lugosi from Ed Wood.

Landau brings his decades of experience playing a variety of dodgy-eyed paranoiacs, doomed paternal figures and duplicitous charmers in shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits to play the deceitful shopkeeper.​

[*]David Bowie as Big Brother.
    The trend-chasing multi-talent of film, art and sound maybe remembered for his outlandish getups, cheesy dance tracks and oddball videos, but he's now in his 60s.

Bowie brings his current status as fatherly hipster to fore by playing a different kind of Big Brother: A paternalistic fascist with a lovable exterior and a deceptively genial disposition.​

Aw, come on dude!

It's pure jealousy.

Indeed. After only reading the summary on wikipedia, seeing this cast has caused my mind to officially be blown.

Figuratively and literally. I was gonna go to work today and get a head start on a big project coming up....but now after imagining a trailer with Ourchair's cast---I can't focus on anything else.

Back to the couch for me.

Indeed. After only reading the summary on wikipedia, seeing this cast has caused my mind to officially be blown.

Figuratively and literally. I was gonna go to work today and get a head start on a big project coming up....but now after imagining a trailer with Ourchair's cast---I can't focus on anything else.

Back to the couch for me.

I thought I might actually have had a chance at winning this round....I thought my Gary Oldman, Orson Welles, and Eva Green were brilliant....But this has just....for lack of a better term, pwned the rest of the competition.

You guys haven't even read the book.
I have actually read the book several times since I was thirteen.

Planet-man said:
It's a pretty good cast, especially Winston and Charrington, but an O'Brien who's barely the same age as Winston doesn't make sense.
I took liberties, I know. I originally wanted a severely older O'Brien to a youngish-looking Winston, but I was just as receptive to the idea of making everyone ambiguously 45-60.

Still, I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for it to STILL be faithful to the books ages since Stephen Rea gets away with looking 50 even when he's 60, and Sean Bean is almost 50, though would probably need to look haggard --- which I expect he would given the setting of this book, and the makeup/costume design and art design that a modern adaptation would use --- to look more "definitively 50".

Planet-man said:
I think DARKKNIGHT's cast is better.
It would be unsportsmanly of me to not admit it is a good cast.

Plus points for using Rose Byrne. She's instantly appealing, but I find her difficult to use and I'll be damned if I didn't admit I'm a little jealous that i didn't think of her as Julia.

Last edited:
I did actually read the book several times since I was thirteen.

Heh, of course I know you've read it, I was referring to the people blasting taft on the previous page.

I mean, the one's blasting taft about the people your cast.

I mean, VVD and Langsta.

Not you!

I took liberties, I know.

Though I think it's not out of the realm of possibility since Stephen Rea gets away with looking 50 even when he's 60, and Sean Bean is almost 50, though would probably need to look haggard --- which I expect he would given the setting of this book, and the makeup/costume design and art design that a modern adaptation would use --- to look more "definitively 50".

Personally, I think O'Brien being an old, starting-to-crumble beast is crucial. I think Sean Bean would have the acting part completely right otherwise.

Heh, of course I know you've read it, I was referring to the people blasting taft on the previous page.

I mean, the one's blasting taft about the people your cast.

I mean, VVD and Langsta.

Not you!
How can you tell when they haven't read it or not.

Are you psychic?

OMG you can read minds?!

Can you read my mind?
Do you know what it is you do to me?
Don't know who you are
Just a friend from another star

Here I am, like a kid at the school
Holding hands with a god or a fool
Will you look at me, quivering,
Like a little girl, shivering,
You can see right through me.

Can you read my mind?
Can you picture the things I'm thinking of?
Wondering why you are
All the wonderful things you are.

You can fly - You belong to the sky
You and I could belong to each other.

If you need a friend,
I'm the one to fly too
If you need - to be loved -
Here I am, Read my mind!

Planet-man said:
Personally, I think O'Brien being an old, starting-to-crumble beast is crucial.
I understand. I don't feel that way, but I wouldn't make a contention out of it.

I know exactly who I'd want to play decrepit old O'Brien, my problem is he's just so damn evil that I'd have to recast Big Brother as well. I was going for a totalitarian government that is also charming and seemingly benevolent, and chose Bowie... then Bean.

Allow me to digress:

As someone who was born at the twilight years of a dictatorship in his home country, my perception of dictatorships is one that charms its citizens just as it continues to violate basic human rights.

Our first dictator was a guy who used propaganda and staged acts of 'terrorism' to justify martial law all while courting the affection of foreign interests. Our present dictator is someone who stole the election and basically orders hits on journalists while trying to wow everyone with dazzling statistics of economic development, yet none of it trickles down as prosperity for anyone below the upper class.

This is the way I view such a political dystopia. Wherein Western media, such ascension to power is portrayed as fear-mongering and then a swift self-installment into the seat of power, I think of it as a smooth progression where the dictator charms his way up and the people are partially complicit to the result.

Last edited:
You guys haven't even read the book.

So wait----just because I haven't read the book, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on someone's cast? I'm not allowed to base my excitement off the idea of seeing Stephen Rea and Sean Bean interact? I'm not allowed to get excited to see Martin Landau?

All because I haven't read the book? Isn't that...I don't know....close minded and judmental of you?

What if I had never heard of the book before and was thinking about reading the book until I read the summary online and decided not to since I figured it wasn't for me? Keep in mind that I'm not just refusinging to read the book blindly for the sake of typecasting or making random generalizations like Mole has with "Watchmen" or The Harry Potter Series. I'm saying that I checked it out and decided that it sounded like something I wasn't in to.

Last time I checked, familiarity with the round property wasn't a requisite to particpate in the game. Granted, without reading the book, I might not have the same level of appreciation for someone's cast like you might.....but by what you're saying----I'm not even allowed to have an opinion about this.

How can you even justify a statement like that?

How can you tell when they haven't read it or not.

Are you psychic?

They said so...

But yes.

I understand. I don't feel that way, but I wouldn't make a contention out of it.

I know exactly who I'd want to play decrepit old O'Brien, my problem is he's just so damn evil that I'd have to recast Big Brother as well. I was going for a totalitarian government that is also charming and seemingly benevolent, and chose Bowie... then Bean.

That, I think, would be an improvement.

I just think his physical decay is a lynchpin, and and even bigger one is that he has to be old enough to have helped craft the society they live in. Someone Bean's age still would've been a kid during the post-WWII revolution.

Allow me to digress:

As someone who was born at the twilight years of a dictatorship in his home country, my perception of dictatorships is one that charms its citizens just as it continues to violate basic human rights.

Our first dictator was a guy who used propaganda and staged acts of 'terrorism' to justify martial law all while courting the affection of foreign interests. Our present dictator is someone who stole the election and basically orders hits on journalists while trying to wow everyone with dazzling statistics of economic development, yet none of it trickles down as prosperity for anyone below the upper class.

This is the way I view such a political dystopia. Wherein Western media, such ascension to power is portrayed as fear-mongering and then a swift self-installment into the seat of power, I think of it as a smooth progression where the dictator charms his way up and the people are partially complicit to the result.

Wait, are you referring to Bowie or Bean here? Either one would fit this bill(assuming the "real" Big Brother used to be the actual architect of Oceania), just one is too young.

If this is your reasoning for why Bowie has to represent Big Brother, you don't have to convince ME he's capable of charming a nation.:wink:

So wait----just because I haven't read the book, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on someone's cast?

Yep, that's exactly what I said.

I'm not allowed to base my excitement off the idea of seeing Stephen Rea and Sean Bean interact? I'm not allowed to get excited to see Martin Landau?

All because I haven't read the book? Isn't that...I don't know....close minded and judmental of you?

Where? Where did I say any of this, about you not being allowed to get excited or have opinions? I'm sorry if you took it that way, but that's not what I meant.

What if I had never heard of the book before and was thinking about reading the book until I read the summary online and decided not to since I figured it wasn't for me? Keep in mind that I'm not just refusinging to read the book blindly for the sake of typecasting or making random generalizations like Mole has with "Watchmen" or The Harry Potter Series. I'm saying that I checked it out and decided that it sounded like something I wasn't in to.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is this what happened with you? I don't care if you decided the book wasn't for you Doom, that's fine. If you were dying to read it, but still hadn't yet, I would've said what I said all the same.

Last time I checked, familiarity with the round property wasn't a requisite to particpate in the game. Granted, without reading the book, I might not have the same level of appreciation for someone's cast like you might.....but by what you're saying----I'm not even allowed to have an opinion about this.

How can you even justify a statement like that?

How can I justify a statement I didn't make? Gee Doom, I don't know.

As for what I did say, a simple "you guys haven't even read the book" in response to you saying OMG OURCHAIR'S CAST WINS AND IS PERFECT, I think I'm perfectly within right to think that's a silly thing to say if you're not sure what you're talking about. It'd be the same if you said Ourchair's cast was horrible and he should just quit right now.

All I was going on was the fact that, like you said right up there, "without reading the book, I might not have the same level of appreciation for someone's cast like you might". How can you say it's so amazing and should win without knowing that much about the book?

Of course you're allowed to participate and give feedback. I encourage that as it's one of the more interesting parts of this game, and outsider perspectives are often very good(Langsta had some great pics this round) but I've always thought it doesn't make sense when people unfamiliar with the source say a cast is "perfect" unless it's accompanied by the type of complete, detailed pitch like we do sometimes so you can see why each character would work the way they do as if it were a stand-alone movie.

That's all.

Saying that someone doesn't get a say so in something because they haven't read or particpated in something is so ignorant of you. That's like saying the teenagers of the world don't deserve a say so in the political status of the world since they've never voted. To that effect---since you've never made a movie before, your opinions of any film are completely wrong and do not matter whatsoever.

IMO, that was probably the most brilliantly ignorant thing I've probably ever heard you say.

I simply refuse to even debate this any further.

I agree with Planet-man on this , that's why if I don't know the comic/movie/book we doing a cast for I don't vote as I wouldn't able to say that the cast is best as I'm not familiar with it enough to say it is a good casting of that particular thing.

I'll try and do a cast sure as that's fun but e.g this one I've not read book and have no plans too so I wont vote

Saying that someone doesn't get a say so in something because they haven't read or particpated in something is so ignorant of you.

I didn't say that Doom. I didn't say it at all. I've made this clear. I'll do it again: Of course you have the right to an opinion, input, and feedback on something like this. Of course you get a say so. Everyone does. I just think it's unjustifiable to say one of the casts is completely perfect and should win if you don't know that much about who they're playing. That's one aspect of the game that yeah, someone who hasn't experienced the source can't really judge to that extent.

Wouldn't you think it was just as ignorant of me if I went into the "Y The Last Man" thread(a title I don't read) and said your cast was ridiculous and should lose?

That's like saying the teenagers of the world don't deserve a say so in the political status of the world since they've never voted. To that effect---since you've never made a movie before, your opinions of any film are completely wrong and do not matter whatsoever.

You've blown this completely out of proportion. It's nothing like either of those things and you know it and you know it.

IMO, that was probably the most brilliantly ignorant thing I've probably ever heard you say.

This? This comment about people unfamiliar with the source material not having concrete opinions about dreamcasting rounds is the most ignorant thing I've ever said?

I should certainly hope so!

Last edited:
So I've definetly only gotten two votes for this. I need you people to vote. And Ourchair's is too stunning not to count. (Plus it's one of the only votes). Vote people now!

I'm not a big fan of Ourchair's cast, but I think it's just that I'm so in love with the book that I want a perfect translation of it and would rather not have any liberties taken.

And I'd have to say I agree somewhat with Planet-Man, mainly because this is a book, not a comic or something else. If this were a comic, a picture of the character and a good summary might give you an idea of who you're casting, but it's difficult to understand a character from a book unless you've read the book.

Plus, I just dislike when people just automatically start proclaiming someone to be the winner.

Wait, are you referring to Bowie or Bean here?
Both.

I was basically saying that all the figures representative of authority --- O'Brien and Big Brother --- are charmers. It's the reasoning behind choosing BOTH performers.

moonmaster said:
Plus, I just dislike when people just automatically start proclaiming someone to be the winner.
I also dislike it when people start proclaiming the awesometitude of their own cast at the expense of other people's casts.

I've never shied away from being proud of my own choices (when I am), but I try to make it a point to provide substantial commentary on at least one person's cast every round, and point out not only "OMG I'm teh jealous" but explain why. I wish more people would do the same. :D

As for the whole "you haven't read the book, you're opinion is devalued," I totally agree with the fact that it is crucial to validating your own opinion, but as far as I'm concerned, everybody's opinion counts.

For better or worse, that is how democracy works. Even presidential elections count the vote of the ill-informed. Doom's opinion counts. Doom's vote counts.

That it may not be as reliable as the opinion or vote of those who have read the book is a moot point.

In other news, Clemence Poesy is still hot.

Last edited:
I tend to be with both sides on this. While it would be best for someone to have read this to judge it, your vote still counts just as much. I recomend the book to VVD but he's just as justified in liking Ourchair's cast so much.

I tend to be with both sides on this. While it would be best for someone to have read this to judge it, your vote still counts just as much. I recomend the book to VVD but he's just as justified in liking Ourchair's cast so much.
Like I said, democracy!

I'm democrazy! :crazy:

Latest posts

Back