Dreamcasting: Adaptations #9 - The Wizard of Oz

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Don't ever let it be said that Doom doesn't give the people what they want.....

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) Participants may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film/TV ones.

3) After the time period set by the moderator, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

With all that said....you are hereby tasked to remake:

The Wizard of Oz

If you do not know the story...go kill yourself. Or click here.

You are to cast the following roles:

Dorothy
Scarecrow
Tin Man
Cowardly Lion
Glinda
Wicked Witch of the West
The Wizard

........BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!!!

Instead of casting the film....for extra credit (1 point given by me to all who cast) you can fill the roles from the cast of Wicked!!!!

Elphaba Thropp – An intelligent, fiery, but misunderstood girl with green skin, a result of her mother drinking a green elixir while carrying her. Shunned from society because of her appearance, she finds a friend in Galinda, and a lover in Fiyero. Her pro-Animal motives and rebellion against the Wizard cause her to be branded the Wicked Witch of the West.

Galinda Upland (later Glinda) – Beautiful and ambitious, she initially seems conceited and vain, though her friendship with Elphaba reveals more depth to her character; Glinda's maturation is perhaps the most prominent one in the show. She later changes her name to "Glinda" in honor of Doctor Dillamond. Glinda's main priority is her ascension on the social ladder, and thus she seizes her opportunity to join the Wizard, setting the stage for her to be known as Glinda the Good.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz – The illegitimate dictator of Oz.

Madame Morrible – The power-hungry headmistress of Shiz University.

Fiyero Tiggular – A handsome Winkie prince with a "scandalacious" reputation. Fiyero tries to act shallow and self-absorbed, but his encounters with Elphaba cause him to reevaluate his way of thinking. He is the love interest for both Elphaba and Glinda, which leads to a rift in their friendship.

Nessarose Thropp – Elphaba's spoiled, crippled younger sister. Though heavily dependent upon Elphaba, Nessarose is embarrassed by her sister. She also develops an obsessive attachment to Boq. Nessarose becomes the governor of Munchkinland and immediately abuses her authority, giving her the title "the Wicked Witch of the East."

Boq – An abnormally large Munchkin who has eyes for Glinda, but is instead attached to Nessarose against his will; he does not have the heart to tell her his true feelings. He is eventually enslaved and forbidden from leaving Munchkinland when Nessarose strips the Munchkins of their rights.

Doctor Dillamond – A Goat, and the only Animal professor at Shiz University. Doctor Dillamond is the story's primary example of Animal suppression. Elphaba takes a liking to him.

The latter is mostly for theater nuts or bookreaders. I honestly don't expect to see any castings for this bonus. But like I said, if they do cast it---I'll grant them 1 additional point to be added onto their final vote.

I'm the moderator and I'll allow it.

Round ends noon, 5 Oct 07. Voting begins then and closes at midnight Saturday. Winner announced that Sunday.

Last edited:
The way I'd do The Wizard of Oz is a dark Tim Burton-like revamp. This movie is ****ed up and it should look like it.

amy_lee_bottom.jpg

Dorothy - For some reason, I think of Amy Lee for this. Though I'm not really sure about her acting skills, I think she'd be suitable for a darker revamp. If not, probably an unknown.

DougJones_Grant_11939046_400.jpg

Scarecrow - Doug Jones. He's tall, skinny, and he's good with prosphetics. He'd be great for this.

247999~Christian-Bale-Posters.jpg

Tin Man - I know I cast him in a lot, but Christian Bale. The Tin Man would probably be CGI with the voice of Bale anyway, but he has a good, sinister voice. I think he'd be great for the Woodsman who chops animals heads off while looking for a heart.

fry_narrowweb__300x441,0.jpg

Cowardly Lion - Probably a real lion (such as the one that played Aslan) but with the voice of Stephen Fry. I think this would be really neat.

bryce_dallas_howard.jpg

Glinda - Bryce Dallas Howard. She has a similar look (I'm judging from the book versions) and a quite, sincere feeling. I would like to see her play the Good Witch.

244.carter.helena.101606.jpg

Wicked Witch of the West - Helena Bonham Carter. She's very creepy and dark. I'm thinking of her small role in Big Fish combined with her bad mouth in Fight Club.

bowie181006_243x244.jpg

The Wizard - David Bowie himself. He was brilliant as playing the Wizard Nikola Tesla in The Prestige, so give him another one to play. This would be brilliant because it'd be so unexpected (I probably wouldn't even list him in the credits).

Last edited:
Dorothy.jpg

Dorothy - Anna Popplewell

She played a girl lost in a fantasy word in Narnia, I think she has the look and chops to play the famous Dorothy.

Scarecrow.jpg

Scarecrow - Jim Carrey

He would play the brainless dope that Dorothy first meets. He would add humor to the epic movie that I'm going for.

Tinman.jpg

Tin Man - Clive Owen

The heartless Tin Man. Owen could pull of the cold metal man.

Lion.jpg

Cowardly Lion - Johnny Depp

Deep would play the perfect coward. He could look menacing like the Lion should, but could be the whimpering cat also.

Glinda.jpg

Glinda - Julie Benz

Glinda should be gorgeous and magical. I think Benz has that feel and she was a hell of actress of Angel.

Witch.jpg

Wicked Witch of the West - Helena Bonham Carter

She is playing a wicked witch in Harry Potter, but this would give her more of a chance to shine and to be a *****.

Wizard.jpg

The Wizard - Hugo Weaving

The menacing voice.

And the humble look of the man.

Last edited:
The Wizard of Oz?

:gripe:

I pass... maybe.

X2... man... seriously, Amy Lee? You've gotta be kidding me.
A darker, Tim Burton-style remake of this story would be a travesty. I know that's the in-thing to do, but all I can envision is more hordes of fat, acne-ridden goth kids flocking to Hot Topic to pick up Tim Burton's "Wizard of Oz" gear.

OK. I was planning on not doing this but you've convinced me otherwise.

Last edited:
Graci, Don Doomlioni. This is going to be the best round ever.

The Set-Up:
This is a clear path for me. I'd want the movie to be much more serious than the original, while still being very uplifting and magical. This one would not be a musical(the original did that part perfectly anyway), and the tone would be darkly beautiful without going for full-blown Burtonesque macabre. For the director, as much as I disliked Pan's Labyrinth as a whole, the fantasy parts(all 15 minutes of them) had almost the exact look I want for this, so I'm giving the directoral reigns to Guillermo del Toro(I considered Alfonso Cuaron too).

Okay, so...

natalie_portman.jpg

Dorothy Gale - Natalie Portman

This is a retardedly cliche choice, and she's probably a bit too old by now, but I can't really think of anyone who would fit the part quite as well at the moment. Natalie would not, however, be playing the scared little girl the way Judy Garland's Dorothy was most of the time. She'd be naive and all that, but she'd still have that spirit of adventure that made her want to go over the rainbow in the first place. I might change this later, but I'm happy with this for now.

lost%20henry%20tied%20up2.jpg
bf90e7441b9cfcceb2a1a269e356ea38.jpg

The Scarecrow - Michael Emerson
For the moment, forget all that cold, calculating stuff we've grown to love him for over the past year and remember what he was like back in Season 2 in the vault, terrified and shy without being cowardly, because he still had that edge of confidence and wit to him. That's what I want the Scarecrow to be like in this. Emerson certainly has the right voice and facial look too, but I think they might want to use CGI to make him taller and thiner, or even get del Toro-favourite Doug Jones to be the body and Emerson just be the head and all that. Doug Jones was one of my first choices for the part because physically he IS the Scarecorw, but the bottom line is I've never seen him act. Then I remembered how awesome Michael is. Oh, and speaking of Michaels....

showalter_flowers.jpg

The Tin Woodsman - Michael Showalter
For those of you blessed enough to see Wet Hot American Summer, you know that Showalter is actually pretty great at playing the straight(er) man in a comedy act(not that this would be a comedy or anything). This would be a great role for him to stretch his talents even farther. He's also one of the best physical actors out there.

Also worth noting is that I'd have Showalter wearing a green-screen suit with telemetric sensors the whole time, leaving only his face exposed, because the look I'm thinking of would require extensive CGI. He'd be a rusty clockpunk robot with plenty of exposed gears and springs, kind of similar to this but even rougher.

By the way, you have no idea how hard it was for me not to just go ahead and use all three 'Stella' members as the leads in this once I had the idea for Showalter.:-D

51306382_10.jpg

Jeff Daniels as the Cowardly Lion
This role was definitely the hardest for me to choose, mainly because it's so hard to think of a way to have the character not be silly and comedic. Not only is he one of the best, most versatile actors on the planet, I think Daniels' got a good look for this(even though I still don't know how much of him would be CGI), and is great at portraying timid and nervous/neurotic, which is exactly how I want the character to be in this. Instead of being a blubbering little boy, he's a horribly underconfident and unsure nervous wreck, who stutters and draws into himself, mentally backing away all the time the way the Lion physically tried to do all those times in the original, while slowly gaining some handle on his worries and finally learning to steady himself and stand up to his fears. I'm thinking he'd be a little bit of his Harry from Dumb and Dumber mixed with George McFly.

I seriously considered about 8 different people for this one, from Paul Giamatti to Sean Astin. I was halfway through typing the paragraph about Tony Shalhoub when Daniels sprung into my head and became one of my favourite choices in the movie.

grandmamaafv2.jpg

The Wicked Witch of the West - Carol Kane
Those of you who have seen The Addams Family Values will probably understand where I'm coming from here. There's been a recent trend in movies of casting former-bombshell-now-middle-aged women as the icy *****goddess, to comedic affect and critical acclaim(Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada, Michelle Pfeiffer in Stardust, soon to be Susan Sarandon in Enchanted). I don't want to go that way for this part. I don't want an over-the-top psycho tyrant(I considered Tilda Swinton and Helena Bonham Carter too) either. I think for my vision of this movie, what would work best is a genuine, vile, sickening 14th-Century Pagan-type witch. She was creepy and repulsive enough in The Addams Family Values. Now imagine that without the black comedy.

22CarolKane.jpg

Glinda the Good Witch of the North - Carol Kane
Because it would be a crime not to let Carol show her sweet side too. The fact that she'd be playing both parts, however, would be almost incedental. I originally had her picked just to play the Wicked Witch, but after while racking my brain for Glinda the image of Carol in Scrooged(before she starts in with the crotch-kicking) came up. Just have her play it actually nice, and light her to look like an angel, and you've got it.

jim_broadbent7.jpg
jim_broadbent8.jpg

The Wizard - Jim Broadbent
I've had this locked in for a long time, well before I knew he was officially playing Slughorn(allow me to again mention how awesome that is). Broadbent is always great, and his acting style is ideal for how I want the Wizard to be in this. I'd also want him to base a bit of his performance on H.G. Wells(try to find some video of him if you can, it's so cool to watch him talk). Don't forget though, this is the REAL Wizard I'm talking about. He's only the man behind the curtain. There's still the matter of the illusion of himself the Wizard creates, and for that I'm thinking...

GIANT CGI ORSON WELLES
wellesbig.gif

Damn right! I think this would kick so much ***. Use the same technology they used to do this with Marlon Brando in Superman Returns and Sir Lawrence Olivier in Sky Captain, only, you know, better, to create a huge transluscent green and purple hologram of Welles' face. Use preexisting audio and computers to create a booming, echo-y, synthesized version of Welles' awesome cinematic voice, and there you have it, the perfect throwback to the Golden Age of 20th Century Cinema and at the same time a new, astonishing presence.

Last edited:
Planet-man's cast is awesome. I'm way too lazy to do a dreamcast for something I care so little about, and now that I have an image of Natalie Portman as Dorothy, I can't imagine anyone else.

Wizard of Oz

There is no way of doing this as a serious movie any more so my cast is based on it been a comedy. A little serious but still comedy.

Cast

Dorothy – Amy Acker – She had that quality on Angel as Fred of the small town girl which Dorothy needs , So She was my first choice based on that which I think works.

Scarecrow – Mike Myers – I think this will fit the role perfectly and I can actually see him as the part in my head and I love it. I wanted someone who play dumb but not too dumb , funny but not too funny and serious but not serious , Mike Myers was my guy.

Tin Man – The Rock – I think honestly the tin man needs to be a strong , "Hollywood tough men" So I was going to go with Vin Diesel but thought no , he needs to be funny as well as there will be comedy moments and the rock is perfect for that

Cowardly Lion – CGI – voiced by Woody Allen , Now Woody Allen's voice is just perfect for the shy and cowardly lion of oz , The only way to get that perfect voice and have a big muscular lion was either cgi or having another actor play body I picked cgi.

Glinda – Alyson Hannigan – even though she was in buffy and my Dorothy was in Angel I think this is the perfect choice , there is something innocent and nice about her which I think Glinda needs and so she was my first and only choice

Wicked Witch of the West – Katey Sagal I needed a serious actress who could actually seems to be evil and a bit intimidating , To me she can be both

The Wizard – Patrick Stewart – Has a powerful sounding voice for the fake wizard part (until he comes out from curtain) He has done comedy things before now so when he does the funny scenes they will be funny , Plus he looks like I always imagine the wizard would

WIZARD OF OZ DREAMCASTING

zooey_deschanel.jpg

Dorothy Gale - Zooey Deschanel

Martin%20Sheen-748718.jpg

The Wizard - Martin Sheen

1146685668404-marcia_cross.jpg

Glinda The Good - Marcia Cross

michelle-1.jpg

The Wicked Witch of the West - Michelle Pfeiffer
This was the hardest part for me.

what-are-they-up-to-Alan-Tudyk.jpg

The Scarecrow – Alan Tudyk
Do I really need to come up with an explanation, he's ****ing perfect!

RDjr.jpg

The Tin Woodsman – Robert Downey, Jr.
I was thinking about going into the big three's lacking bits more than the original musical, maybe more than the original book... For some reason RDJ seems like he could totally play someone without a heart. He also has this great sadness in his eyes that'd tie right into the character.

John-C-Reilly-Biography-2.jpg

The Cowardly Lion – John C. Reily
This was another easy one. I thought of him and Tudyk before anybody else on this cast.

I'll finish the reasons later.

Last edited:
michelle-1.jpg

I ****ing called this in my head. Literally 5 minutes ago I was going through choices for the witch in my head and my train of thought, word for word, was "Hmm.... Susan Sarandon.... Meryl Streep.... Michelle Pfeiffer.... heh, bet DSF will pick one of them.... Miranda Richardson....etc".

I own you.

These are my favorites so far. I'd have Doug Jones play Scarecrow and Tin Man (just cuz he's awesome like that). I don't think there's anything wrong with it having a dark, Tim Burton feel....I kind of envision it as being similar to Pan's Labyrinth....

Scarecrow - Doug Jones
Tin Man - Doug Jones
Cowardly Lion - John C. Reilly
Glinda - Bryce Dallas Howard
Wicked Witch of the West - Michelle Pfeiffer
The Wizard - David Bowie

I'll put up my own cast later, but those are my favorites so far.

Last edited:
WIZARD OF OZ DREAMCASTING

zooey_deschanel.jpg

Martin%20Sheen-748718.jpg

The Wizard - Martin Sheen

1146685668404-marcia_cross.jpg

Glinda The Good - Marcia Cross

michelle-1.jpg

what-are-they-up-to-Alan-Tudyk.jpg

The Scarecrow – Alan Tudyk
Do I really need to come up with an explanation, he's ****ing perfect!

RDjr.jpg

The Tin Woodsman – Robert Downey, Jr.
I was thinking about going into the big three's lacking bits more than the original musical, maybe more than the original book... For some reason RDJ seems like he could totally play someone without a heart. He also has this great sadness in his eyes that'd tie right into the character.

John-C-Reilly-Biography-2.jpg

The Cowardly Lion – John C. Reily
This was another easy one. I thought of him and Tudyk before anybody else on this cast.

I'll finish the reasons later.

...****. ************. Half of that was going to be my cast and I hadn't figured out who the other half was yet, but they're not better than that. ****.

Latest posts

Back