DreamMOVIE #7-The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyption Movie Theater of Marvels

Meh, I'm not going to get this done as well as I wanted to. A pity. Oh well, I'll pitch you what I have for

ALL THE MADMEN

First off, here's the opening I envison

The world is lit by a single light, pasty and yellow that glares with ill-conceived notions of strength in the darkness. Slowly, slowly as we move away, we find ourselves not confronting the primal heart of a universe, but a lamp that sits on a desk that sits in an office at which sits a man, the subject of our story, seemingly knee-deep in a Messiah complex and scribbling furiously on unlined pages. Alan Moore.

We twirl around him as he bends to his work, hands scrawling notes and doodles that would seem to be the base atoms of some story, eyes fixed and wild, caught alone in his solitary light.

And suddenly, he stops.

He looks shocked at his hands as they stop moving, questioning the pen he holds with his silent eyes. He puts the nib back to paper, and it does not move. He scratches a black slash feverishly, as if trying to draw forth creativity with the ink, and still nothing comes. At last, he simply leans back in his creaking desk chair, shaking his head from side to side with a shocked expression on his face, not knowing what has happened. He looks around and finally turns his chair to face the solitary window, and the starlights that beam through them. Our camera follows the gaze out, out through the window, out into space, spinning gently on some celestial breeze. . .

A great whale of silver eclipses our view, rushing past with silent brevity and causing our camera to follow it as it reveals itself to be a titanic craft, a spaceliner we would guess, giving it is descending from the general direction of the moon towards a swirling bastion of light below that we fall towards.

London. Not any version of it that we know. This is a London out of its time, some thirty centuries into the future. It is indescribable, a megalopolis that we know to be our familiar city but advanced beyond our years, where crystal and chrome are the predominant colors and everybody wheres bright fashion that could be holograms. All we can do is wander aimlessly through it, hungrily devouring details, of floating palaces and clocks that strike midnight the galaxy over, and causeways where the masses of this place wander.

It is here perhaps that we realize we have been drawn towards something. Slowly coming into focus, idling along with a robotic pooch at her side. A girl in blonde and tights with her back to us that turns around, and smiles.

In the dim and mundane cabin of an airplanes coach section, a young man awakens with a start. He looks around with shock, still not able to shake the lucidness of the dream, still lost in that London of the future. At last he shakes himself of the feelings that he was somewhere else, and leans back into his seat, opening the notebook computer in front of him and beginning to type furiously. There is the bing of an intercom and a bland feminine voice begins speaking.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, it is currently 5:23 a.m. on November 4th and we will be beginning our descent into London in approximately five minutes. . ."

The voice fades into the static of keyboard keys clattering as the camera pulls forward towards the laptop screen being quickly filled with words.

The camera cuts into a new shot of a blank word processor document, on which the title, cast, and credits are typed.

Anyways, my story is about how Alan Moore's imagination ran away from him and began a love affair with a young writer visiting London. Because of the all that unbridled creative power (or magick, going by Moore's philosophy) running around, the lines between fiction and reality start to get really blurred, and we learn that the one (supposedly) behind it all is Glycon, who wants to use that power to become a true God instead of just a fiction. In the end, everything turns out for the best, the boy gets the girl, the bad guy gets defeated, Moore gets his imagination back, Glycon's cult gets revived (making him happy), and a movie that Alan Moore actually approves of gets made. Anyways, here's my cast list.

Gary Oldman as Alan Moore - An author and media personality of some renown. We find him in London when our story begins, nominally doing research for a new performance piece, but actually looking for his imagination that he believes has ran away. He is suffering from an extremely bad mood that is probably a result of realizing that all the strange goings-ons are partially due to him. It turns out that the story he had been working on in the beginning was the story that is taking place now, where a man's imagination runs away because his dark side is attempting to kill it. John Constantine slaps some sense back into him, and he destroys the work which sets things back to normal.

Drake Bell as Mick Anisette - A Young writer visiting London for whatever reason, who finds himself drawn into an incredible day by a a girl named Anna. He is quiet, reserved, very intense, and very creative, and has a profound love for the works of Alan Moore. In the end, he plays the part of the hero, venturing into a fantastic realm called The Other to rescue the damsel and save the day. His reward is to finally get to meet his idol.

Emma Watson as Anna Patrice Northio - A young and pretty girl who very forcefully introduces herself to Mick and begins to woo him. They spend the day together in London, all the while she is having bad images of a dark man she is sure wants to get her. She is kidnapped by Kenny and Linus and taken to Glycon's realm, The Other, where her power is going to be used to shift the world into one that worships Glycon. In the end, she is rescued and the Dark Man, Jack, is annihilated when Mick reminds her that he's only a fiction and fictions only have as much power as you let them. In truth, Anna is NOT the incarnation of Moore's imagination, the power simply took up home in her because her name can be anagrammed in a very special way.

Greg Kinnear as Greg Kinnear playing Tom Strong - Yeah, that's right, Greg Kinnear. ****ing Greg Kinnear. Anyways, he's playing Tom Strong but can't seem to get his head around the character, so he constantly wears the costume around London (and forcing his co-star Emily Blunt to do the same). He acts like Greg Kinnear typically acts in movies, very smug and smarmy, but shows some worth by going with Mick into The Other to help rescue Anna, and by fighting against the much more powerful and dangerous Jack.

Tim Roth as Neil Gaiman - A writer and old friend of Alan's in town for a book signing. He notices strange things beginning to happen when at the bookstore, people begin to transform into the characters of the books they are reading. He later finds a paper airplane with the word "Kimota" written on it and is transformed into Miracle Man, arriving soon afterwards in The Other to help in the fight against Jack. At the end of the story, he is beginning production on his first directorial efforts, a movie based on the movie we've just watched.

Ralph Fiennes as David Jay - A musician and friend of Alan's who is accompanying him around London in search of his imagination, mainly for the conversation and free pints. He does prove himself a very capable figure though in the end, defending Alan and himself from several werewolves with a gun loaded with silver bullets. Of course, right afterwards he asks, "Who killed Mr. Moonlight?"

Simon Pegg as Kenny/Cap'n Bitten - Your typical wannabe punk and soccer hood who is the lead guitarist and singer of the two-piece band "The Furies" under the stage name "Cap'n Bitten" with his good buddy Linus. His behavior and appearance are patterned on my idea of a human D.R. Kenny is a general smart-alec, brain-dead, glue-huffing drunkard, with delusions of grandeur who takes his friend along on all kinds of dead-end schemes which include working for an ancient snake deity. He can be a decent guy though and winds up finding religion (of a kind) at the end of the tale.

Martin Freeman as Linus/Jimmy Jazzpers - Kenny's good buddy who plays drums in The Furies as Jimmy Jazzpers and is generally just as much a waste of life as his other. Appearance and behavior are patterned on Quinch. The two indirectly serve Glycon by kidnapping Anna and taking her into The Other. In the end, there really wasn't any ill-will meant by the act and they actually help out in the fight against Jack. Along with Kenny, they begin a revival of the worship of Glycon that takes the form of a neo-free-love movement.

James Marsters as John Constantine - The magical trickster extraordinare who takes in the story from a distance, before finally stepping in to slap some sense into Moore and get him to reign in the mess he is making. He reminds Moore that fiction is magic, but magic is pretty much belief and little else, and tells him to stop believing this fiction he has been spinning that his imagination has ran away.

Gary Busey as Walter - A vagrant in London who is seemingly schizophrenic (constantly hearing the voice of Fate) and obsessed with drawing blotches and spots on any surface he can. He plays a minor role, though it's important in that he seems to have a fourth-wall awareness, and in that the blotches and spots he has been drawing are really one large piece of pointilist art that depict land of The Other where Glycon resides, allowing one world to exist within another. The doorway to this world is on the movie set of the Tom Strong movie set, drawn on a blue screen on which the cameras are rolling. To get in, all you have to do is knock.

Emily Blunt as Emily Blunt playing Tesla Strong - A young English actress cast as Tom Strong's daughter in Bloodsucker's adaption of the series. Unlike her co-star Greg Kinnear, who appears largely clueless about the property, she seems to have read and have some respect for the series and her character. Which is probably why she takes such an issue to her costume being altered to a flashy piece of sex symbolism. She goes into The Other with Mick and proves herself to be a very capable adventurer.

Alan Moore as Maven Bloodsucker - a film director patterned on Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay. In other words, a real ****-astic hack who cares little for the property he is adapting (in this case, Tom Strong). He gets devoured by Glycon, which makes the world a happier place.

Andrew W.K. as Jack - A killer who has been stalking London, disemboweling people and carving a hideous smile in their face as they die. He is actually the true monster and villain of the story, another escaped piece of Alan Moore's mind (and a simulacra of Jack the Ripper, The Joker, and Miracle Boy) from the darker part who wants to kill his "sister" so he can be the dominant imagination. He is the dark man that Anna keeps seeing. In the end, he is held at bay by Tom and Tesla Strong and Miracle Man while Anna gives back the power to Moore, who promptly erases Jack. Note, he never speaks in the movie.

James Earl Jones as Glycon/Thulsa Doom
- An ancient Roman snake deity that lives in a place called "The Other" whose cult has long gone extinct and who thirsts to be worshipped again. He intends to use the power of Anna to make the dream a reality. Unfortunately for him, he bears FAR to much of a resemblance to James Earl Jones portrayal of Thulsa Doom in Conan the Barbarian and lacks the ability to be taken seriously. However, at the end of the story, after being convinced that being a fiction is better than being a God and letting Anna go, his cult is re-established as a neo-free-love movement by the reformed Kenny and Linus.

On a further note, the story takes place on the Fifth of November, lots of people are running around in Guy Fawkes outfits, along with tons of other assorted oddities and characters that Moore has used before being unleashed because of Anna and Jack's presence in the world and Glycon opening the door to The Other.

Overall, the film would be an examination of not only Alan Moore's works (many of which are referenced) but also on his philosophy and themes of the relationship between the author, fiction, and reality. Oh yeah, and lots of David Bowie would be used. Because I like David Bowie.

So there, my (somewhat) entry.

P.S.

Oh, and for fun, here is the scene in which Anna would meet Mick.

Inside of an everyday coffeehouse, there sits a young man at a table, alone and typing away at on a notebook computer, several undrunk cups of coffee beside him. There is the grinding of a chair, the click of elbows on tabletops, and the unmistakable presence of a woman across from him. The camera looks at her looking at him.

She is pretty and blonde, with a strawberry bandana tied bonnet-like around her flowing hair and green eyes that sparkle a bit too much. He doesn't notice her, too enthralled in whatever beguilings he is spinning. She looks around, tapping fingernails to teeth, before rising and walking away. The camera does not follow her.

A few seconds later she returns with a rather thick book, sits back down and opens it, perhaps reading it, perhaps just trying to be coy as her flirting glances up would suggest. He still hasn't noticed her. She closes the tome and leans back studying him. Then, holding the book up high over her head, and lets it plummet down with a clattering clash to the tabletop. He jumps in surprise and looks at her.

"So, what are you doing?" she asks, voice conversational.

He is perplexed.

"Excuse me?"

"Doing. What. Are. You. Doing?"

"I, uh, what do you--?"

"Look, it's a simple question and, truthfully, the answer's blatant. I just want to make you own up to it. So, I'll ask again; what are you doing?"

"I'm. . . writing."

"Oh, terrific, I love writers. Do you want to tell me a story?"

"Who are you?"

"Why, I'm Anna Patrice Northio," she says with a wounded tone, as if he should have already known. "And just who are YOU, you rude little man?"

"I'm. . . I'm Michael, Michael Anisette. You can call me Mick, though."

"Oooh, that's a scary sounding name Michael, Michael Anisette but I'll call you Mick. Do you writer gangster stories, Mick?"

And at last, he laughs.

Last edited:
Oh my.

Both me and Entropy took a similar idea and came out with completely different outcomes.

I love it Entropy.

YOu got my vote.

Whew, thanks Houde. And since I finally got it posted, I was able to read yours, which I loved and will be voting for. I love your concept of infusing the everyday life with the supernormal and how you pulled it off. Also, your Constantine scene was perfect. And speaking of which.

Thee Great One said:
You stole my Constantine

:lol:

Sorry TOG, but if it makes you feel any better I've been saying that Marsters should play Constantine for about ten years now. Anyways, Zooey Deschanel was my first pick to play Anna, and you used her, so I guess it's tic for tac :).

Last edited:
You can start voting now, by the way.

And the winnah is...

ENTROPY!

Congratulations, friend.

Latest posts

Back