Exiles series discussion (spoilers)

Nurhachi

Is there anyone here who gets this? If so, would you recomend it? Hows the stories like? I read some stuff on it on uncannyxmen.net and it looks pretty cool.

I have read issues, pretty much from the start, i like the whole idea of taking an original story eg Phoenix.
And changing it around, but recently they have been more focused on building the characters up.
So i would suggest reading the ealier issues, i enjoyed them

It used to be fantastic, but as writers kept changing who wanted to do -their- What If? ideas it ended up being a little too repitative for me.

This is just about my favourite title. Its as good as the Ultimate line easy. Its slipping a little under Bedard but he's improving all along. There have been some classic stories (and a few slightly dodge ones) and I'm going to tear the internet apart to find out what happens in the Timebreakers story arc coming up.

Oh yea...

The exiles is a great title. I started reading it back when it and X-statix started. (by the way that was a great read i was really digging x-statix) But of course x-statix ended but exiles is still going strong. it's kinda like those old what-if lines but with the same team going in and out of each one trying to fix it. If anybody knows what i'm talking about, kinda like Sliders the TV show. Did anybody else noticed that besides me? anyways i like it.

!!!Hollerrrr!!!

Its a lot like sliders.

To get the style of writing, read these 3 issue summaries. They don't give away anything of the overall plot (not that there's a lot) and they were some fantastic issues. Its one arc. Basically, Weapon X is a group of displaced people like the Exiles who do more violent missions.

So read these 3 and they might help you make up your mind
Part 1 http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/showquestion.asp?fldAuto=1151
Part 2 http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/showquestion.asp?fldAuto=1212
Part 3 http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/showquestion.asp?fldAuto=1267

To my mind, there are very few people who woulnd't be impressed by that story. It should help you make up your mind cos this is Exiles at its best

It's a light, fun book. Some of the characterisations are surprisingly well done too. It's become a little less enjoyable since the weapon X arc ended, but it still works. Oh, but the danish issue was just appalling, it was supposed to be funny? Maybe if you're 6.

But yes, the timebreaker arc should be interesting.

Danish issue sucked, Timebrokers better rule

With an Iron Fist (the one i linked wiht Summaries up above) however is one of the best comic stories to come out in the last few years. Winick's run on this title was just......mindblowing. The Fantastic too was a great 3 issues.

Yeah, the iron fist one was very good. In fact, rather touching.

I just wish they'd make their mind up on a decent set of characters. Sasquatch was pretty rubbish, same with Namora, same with Illyana. In fact, I want John Proudstar back. I am happy with the addition of beak though. And that he has become the one people mock and ignore instead of Morph, who dismisses beak himself. It has a nice dynamic with him in the group.

Still, I wish the art was better. It's pretty pedestrian.

Yeah, the art is a bit dodgy.

Sasquatch is ok but *Spoilers*she isn't with the team for more than the next couple of issues*End*

Namora is annoying because Bedard introduced her and she hasn't done ANYTHING except vomit. Once. Beak annoys me but mostly cos I liked Nocturne and she was dumped for the only character who's done less than Namora. He even managed to swing his baseball bat. Once.

Mimic, Blink and Morph however as so well developed and interesting as to be very very rare these days.

Yeah, I know what happens to sasquatch. And what happens after that. Could be interesting.
And I think although beak himself has done little, he's changed the group dynamics, and that is interesting to me. I think it's working pretty subtly right now. Better than having another 'live wire' like namora that is supposed to shake things up. And nocturne i think had done her run, the character was well developed, and I think it reached as far as it could go. At least she lives on in 616. Not that I read any 616 stuff really, in general it's a mess.

And as for the other characters, yeah, I agree. Especially morph, at first I was expecting to get tired of him because it seemed as though he was just there for light relief. But he does have a pretty well defined personality too.

Guijllons said:
At least she lives on in 616. Not that I read any 616 stuff really, in general it's a mess.

Quick fill in. No she doesn't. She joined the Brotherhood semi-undercover and ended up sucked into Xorn II's head with Juggernaut and Black Tom and so on in Austen's final revenge. Her first 616 arc and she died. Thats why so many TJ fans were PO'ed

Hehe, man, they really messed that up. Sheesh. They take one of the most popular marvel characters in years and have her killed off straight away? See, this is why I don't read 616 stuff.

Is there anyone who's actually against the concept of Exiles for some reason? Or anyone who doesn't like the book?

I started to get EXILES in TPB's. I only have the first two, but soon I shall have all. This series is great, and I like the concept. :)

Exiles Speculation (possible Spoilers)

I have followed this from the start, and they have dropped hints throughout the series stating that, if they think the timebroker is a collective consciousness of each of the member of the exiles.

In the arc after the AOA one, its about the timebroker, i was wondering if anyone had an idea about whats going to happen, like if they being trained, or if the timebroker is messing with them.
Maybe Beak will prove himself in this timebroker arc.
Do you think the series could go on after the time broker?? if it turns out hes a bad guy?

And is Mimic gona die?????

Shihad said:
I have followed this from the start, and they have dropped hints throughout the series stating that, if they think the timebroker is a collective consciousness of each of the member of the exiles.

In the arc after the AOA one, its about the timebroker, i was wondering if anyone had an idea about whats going to happen, like if they being trained, or if the timebroker is messing with them.
Maybe Beak will prove himself in this timebroker arc.
Do you think the series could go on after the time broker?? if it turns out hes a bad guy?

And is Mimic gona die?????

Ok, I'm pretty certain that the Timebroker has gone loopy. The missions have been getting darker and more dangerous since they found out about Weapon X and then there was the Celestial's warning about the Timebreaker in the Ego arc. If you've seen the covers for the Timebroker arc, you'll see that the most recent one especially focuses on Béak. I'm so looking forward to this its not funny.

Beak has been used probably a little too subtly so far, be good to see him get a good story, I really like the character. As for the true nature of the timebroker/breaker, I honestly couldn't hazard a guess. As we've seen so far, even when they've had to do bad things, things work out for the best. So I'm not sure that they are being trained up exactly, though it's still a possibility.

But, I'll say this, and as much as I like mimic, and he has proven himself to be a great character over the long haul. I think maybe it's time he went. And the possibility is that he will, given that he chose to remain out of time, and in that sense actually breaking the timeline that the exiles are part of themselves.
I just wish they'd find a way of managing to not have a naff 6th character all of the time. And this is my major concern of morph getting canned, is that he'll be replaced by something not great.

But really, it's kinda hard to speculate on the exiles, it's a good fun comic, but i'm pretty sure they just make it up as they go along. and that is fine for this kinda thing. Continuity schmontinuity:)

Latest posts

Back