Fables series discussion (spoilers)

Zombipanda said:
sexy trouble

He better hope she doesn't have an axe lying around somewhere, not after what she did to Bigby in full wolf form... Goldie was one of the most powerful Fables, remember. It took a full hit by a huge truck to take her down (apparently not OUT, because here she is...)

Of course, whatever it is that The Revisionary does to Fables might have brought her down a bit.

Rhyo said:
He better hope she doesn't have an axe lying around somewhere, not after what she did to Bigby in full wolf form... Goldie was one of the most powerful Fables, remember. It took a full hit by a huge truck to take her down (apparently not OUT, because here she is...)

Of course, whatever it is that The Revisionary does to Fables might have brought her down a bit.

This is pure speculation, but I'm betting Mr. Revise doesn't do anything that actually increases their power. My guess is this. The retirement home serves to weaken the fables, until they're no longer recognized by the public and they're malleable for revision. Once they're weak enough, they're basically a blank slate, that can be rewritten by Revise and sent out into the world. Whether that's the case or not, I'd guess it's a fairly hedged bet to assume that Revise's talents are used after the camp's already weakened the fable.

And yeah. Goldie's a hoss. I bet Golden Boughs found her and nursed her back to health.

The basic premise here, though, is that Jack has just had a string of (was it 3?) succesful movies hyping up him and his legends. Willingham's always hinted that the more people who believe in a Fable, the stronger (and harder to kill) the Fable is, so Jack should be at the height of his powers - witness how he sets his own broken arm.

Jack could be there a long, long time. And Jack can be a sleezebucket, and an opportunist, but he can also have a bit of courage when he needs it. Kinda. Maybe he'll organize a breakout, despite all the good advice not to...

Rhyo said:
The basic premise here, though, is that Jack has just had a string of (was it 3?) succesful movies hyping up him and his legends. Willingham's always hinted that the more people who believe in a Fable, the stronger (and harder to kill) the Fable is, so Jack should be at the height of his powers - witness how he sets his own broken arm.

Jack could be there a long, long time. And Jack can be a sleezebucket, and an opportunist, but he can also have a bit of courage when he needs it. Kinda. Maybe he'll organize a breakout, despite all the good advice not to...

It was 3. And yeah, Jack's definitely going to plan a breakout. We've already seen that from the solicits. But I don't see how that contradicts my assessment of Revise.

I've spent all day reading Fables and now am all caught up. This series is very very good. Easy one of the best ever.

I love all the characters. The comparisons with the arabs were genius. The genie was cool. Fuer Totenhimer is one stone cold *****. I love her. When she handled the fake Red Riding Hood and the thing with the genie. She's easy of my top favorite fables.

I was actually geniune happy to see Bigsy and Snow back together and married. I love them as a couple and hope to see great things.

I want more. I'm addicted.

Iceshadow said:
Reynard is from a french fable, but I don't remember what its called.

I believe Reynard is just from a French poem or something.

And funnily enough, out of my window there's a street called Reinaert de Vosstraat, which is the Dutch translation of..... you guessed it.

Have a look at this website for more on where the characters come from:

Mean Seasons

What happened to this thread? Well, whatever.

Alright #53 was out this week, and from what I heard its really good, so anybody pick it up?

And don't be stingy on the spoilers.:wink:

Basically it begins with the Snow Queen telling the others there is a plan to destroy the mundy world, involving first ten plagues, followed immediately by a plague of fire for one year, which is then followed by a plague of winter for three years, then Earth becomes nothing more than a prison camp for all people who challenge Gephetto.

Gephetto then goes to Hansel, one of his generals, and kept him away from the plan. He tells Hansel he has three years to find, and rescue his wooden children and Baga Yada the witch, before they institute the plan. Hansel will be going as Gephetto's official concillor to the Mundy Fables, much like what Bogby suggested Gephetto do.

After that is focuses on Cinderella, who has found Flycatcher, who is a frog again. This must have happened in the last episode.

Then, there's a two or three pager detailing a porcupine, who convinces a girl to kiss him twice. The girl runs off when he doesn't become a prince, and the procupoine goes off to the side to collect some money from his friends. He tells them he learned that trick from a frog years and years ago, obviously from flycatcher.

It's actually a war consisting of four plagues. The first involves moving Homelands warlocks into the mundy world over the course of three years, at the end of which, they introduce five strains of disease (three we've already encountered, two we haven't). The second has them unleashing a bunch of fire imps and dragons to burn the world. Then endless winter. Then just sit back and watch societies collapse. At the end of it, they'll turn the mundy world into a prison world.

There's also a little scene where Bigby recruits Peter Cottontail to help train his kids how to hunt.

It's a solid issue (I haven't read an issue of Fables that's been weak yet, honestly), but it wasn't one of the best.

Edit: And the porcupine collects pie, not money. ;) What's a porcupine going to do with money?

Last edited:
Ok.....so I've been trying to catch up with this book for like 5 months now. I read Vol.1 and thought it was interesting....but slow. In fact, it was so slow that I just couldn't bring myself to get thru Vol.2!

But over this past week I forced myself to get thru Vol.2 and get on with the other trades. And I did!!!!

And boy am I glad I did.

I've been reading reviews for months now and all the critics agree that this is hands-down, pound for pound, the best comic out there! And I think they're right. From the amazing covers to the awesomely lively art to the sheer greatness of the stories. All of it fires on the correct pistons!!!!

Now I just have to get caught up with the current issues. Maybe next week when the comic list isn't as big as this one this week.

Frau is completely bad ***!

Interspecies erotica? :sure:

Ok.....so I've been trying to catch up with this book for like 5 months now. I read Vol.1 and thought it was interesting....but slow. In fact, it was so slow that I just couldn't bring myself to get thru Vol.2!

But over this past week I forced myself to get thru Vol.2 and get on with the other trades. And I did!!!!

And boy am I glad I did.

I've been reading reviews for months now and all the critics agree that this is hands-down, pound for pound, the best comic out there! And I think they're right. From the amazing covers to the awesomely lively art to the sheer greatness of the stories. All of it fires on the correct pistons!!!!

Now I just have to get caught up with the current issues. Maybe next week when the comic list isn't as big as this one this week.

Frau is completely bad ***!

Interspecies erotica? :sure:

This book has some of the most entertaining charismatic characters. I love Snow White and Bigby. But Frau is seriously up there.

I finally got my copy of the first trade. I can't wait to get caught up.

Latest posts

Back