Fables series discussion (spoilers)

I think I like all of the characters.

I've picked up the first two issues of Jack of Fables. It's interesting, but not nearly as srong as the main series. The writing isn't that fantastic, but there are some fun ideas.

It's alright, but as Zombiepanda said, it's not as good as the main series.

Preview for number 54 out at PCS, Hansel looks really cool, but I thought he would be blond. Awesome cover too 8) .

He's so hot right now

So, that was creepy.

Anyway. Yeah, this issue was tight. Hansel's a complete psychopath.... It's not like a lot happened this issue, but it really set the stage for a HUGE change in the Fabletown status quo.

Could we have a summary please?

Prince Charming gets woken up in the middle of the night with a prime piece of *** in his bed for an emergency. It turns out Hansel just showed up at the door claiming to be the ambassador from the Empire. Charming doesn't know Hansel, but Beauty and Beast both refer to him as a serial killer. He tells Beast to set up constant surveillance on Hansel and everyone in his retinue and to try to find the Empire's door into the mundy world, giving him an unlimited budget and telling him to hire new bodies and pull Bigby back into the fold if he has to.

Flash to Hansel and his two assistants, who are renting a townhouse across the street from Fabletown. We then flash to Totenkinder, Beauty, and Charming, and they give history on Hansel. After Hansel and Gretel stumble into Totenkinder's house and kill her, HAnsel sticks around to watch her burn. He becomes obsessed with killing witches. The two of them run from the Adversary fo a few years before finding thei way to Fabletown in New Amsterdam. But Hansel becomes outraged when he finds out Frau is living in the new town, and he leaves for Europe. Gretel stays behind, and HAnsel becomes a menacing force in the European witch hunts. After years abroad, he finally comes back to America to take part in the witch trials here. HE visits Fabletown to try to convince his sister to join with him and gather enough forces to destroy Fabletown, for their harboring of witches. She tells him she's made amends with Frau and has actually been studying magic under her.

Hansel murders Gretel but Ichabod Crane prevents a full investigation of it, and it's passed off as an accidental death. Despite this, he's banished from Fabletown, and goes off to join the Adversary.

Meanwhile, they've been keeping Flycatcher in a cage. CHarming wants to send him to the Farm, but Beauty mentions that there's probably a way to change him back. Apparently this kind of thing has happened to Catcher before.

We then get the back-up story which follows the man who rents Hansel the townhouse. He knows juts enough about Fabletown to be dangerous. He's using the townhouse to watch Bullfinch Street. He knows they refer to themselves as "Fables" and refer to normal humans as mundies. He also knows that Bigby, Snow, and Boy Blue got "sent to the Farm", which he seems to think is code for killing off an unruly Fable.

I'm real curious about what Hansel's intentions are. If he's as fanatical a witch hunter as he seems to be, is he really just going to free Baba Yaga and bring her back home? And if the Homelands decide to not invade, will he accede to this, or just start his own holy war?

Either way... Hansel is ****ing crazy, and a fantastic addition to the cast... I do hope that this is how they'll bring Bigby back to the forefront of the series, or maybe Beast will use his new spy budget to hire Reynard Fox, finally giving him a human form, and introducing him as much more of a rival to Bigby.

I am pretty damn excited by this series these days. Keep it up, Bill Willingham!

How many weeks till 1001 Nights of Snow?

Has anyone picked up 1,001 Nights of Snowfall yet? I'm planning to eventually - but Marvel just released the latest UFF and Runaways trades...

I'll be getting it on monday.

I'll probably do the same.

I'm really itching to catch up, but unfortunetly, Wolves doesn't come out until December and I only collect Fables in trades. . .I'll proably pick up Jack too when it hits in January.

It was very good. As the series always is. I loved all the art and the way it was set up. Every story was good and gave a lot of insight on the Fables.

I really enjoyed Frau's, Bigby's, and Ambrose's.

Ambrose's was so sad. That was very horrible.

Frau is such a stone cold *****. No kill her own new born child for power. Wow. And to see her hand in the different tales. Great.

To see how and why Bigby became big and bad.

It was very good. As the series always is. I loved all the art and the way it was set up. Every story was good and gave a lot of insight on the Fables.

I really enjoyed Frau's, Bigby's, and Ambrose's.

Ambrose's was so sad. That was very horrible.

Frau is such a stone cold *****. No kill her own new born child for power. Wow. And to see her hand in the different tales. Great.

To see how and why Bigby became big and bad.

Ambrose's was extremely sad. I felt really, really bad for him.

Frau. . .WOW. I would never have guessed her involvement in that many fables. Some of these were really shocking. I mean. . .she's basically just like Jack.

Bigby's story is great and it really shows how three dimensional he is.

I also really enjoyed Reynard's story. I definitely want to see more from him in the future.

All around a very solid, and truly welcome, addition to the series.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back