Fallout 3 & miscellaneous Fallout talk

I have fallout 3. Its spectacular. You can't imagine the smile that broke out on my face when I heard Malcolm McDowell's voice.

I saw video a while ago and thought "Oh yet another FPS" and so didn't bother looking it up. Then a friend told me to check to me to look at reviews and footage to see the type of game it is. Oblivion with guns, now that looks pretty cool I might get it in January (the uk game exclusive collectors edition. Hopefully.)

But since like I said this looks like Oblivion with guns, I had a question. Is there expansion packs coming for it?

*raises fist in anger*

I'll just keep this brief, but I could not describe the anger I had at this game. This game would of had been a bore if it was just some generic post-apocalyptic RPG (which it is), but it got degraded to the levels of insult and frustration due to Beth raping the Fallout license.

This is worse than BoS.

Pretty much, I hate this game with a flaming passion. I can only see this being so heavily acclaimed due to the massive hype machine that Beth let loose.

The RPG genre came so far with The Witcher and Mask of the Betrayer...only to lose more ground with Fallout 3.

T_T

Brotherhood of Steel, AKA Fallout Tactics, was not all that bad.

But if you're talking about the console action Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance-style RPG Brotherhood of Steel, then yes it did suck.

I saw video a while ago and thought "Oh yet another FPS" and so didn't bother looking it up. Then a friend told me to check to me to look at reviews and footage to see the type of game it is. Oblivion with guns, now that looks pretty cool I might get it in January (the uk game exclusive collectors edition. Hopefully.)

But since like I said this looks like Oblivion with guns, I had a question. Is there expansion packs coming for it?
Yep. One a month for the next three, starting in january.

*raises fist in anger*

I'll just keep this brief, but I could not describe the anger I had at this game. This game would of had been a bore if it was just some generic post-apocalyptic RPG (which it is), but it got degraded to the levels of insult and frustration due to Beth raping the Fallout license.

This is worse than BoS.

Pretty much, I hate this game with a flaming passion. I can only see this being so heavily acclaimed due to the massive hype machine that Beth let loose.

The RPG genre came so far with The Witcher and Mask of the Betrayer...only to lose more ground with Fallout 3.

T_T

It seems like theres a lot of anger at this game from some people. I've got two words that every transformers fan learns early on. Personal Cannon.

Brotherhood of Steel, AKA Fallout Tactics, was not all that bad.

But if you're talking about the console action Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance-style RPG Brotherhood of Steel, then yes it did suck.

Yeah, I meant the console version. I didn't even know Fallout Tactics was also known as Brotherhood of Steel.

Nice. Any idea what the expansions will add?

The first will be a computer simulation that puts your character into the battle of Anchorage, where the US took back Alaska from the Commies, the second (And one I'm most looking forward to) is The Pitt where you go the burnt out ruins of Pittsburgh, reborn as a raider settlement, and the third will continue the main quest from its end point, raising the level cap among other things.

I've got to say I'm surprised how personally some people are taking this game. Bethesda didn't get the license and purposefully release a horrible game just to spite previous fans of the series. I for one love the game. Does it have its flaws? Of course, but I've put more time into it than any other game I've gotten since the first KOTOR. With the almost assured possibility of eclipsing it once all the already announced DLC is released. I think you guys should be happier about the franchise continuing and bringing an untold of number of new players into it than complaining about precieved slights.

Basicly alot of Forum Dwellers need to chill out. Especially over at Bethesda's forum. I mean good god is there some rage there.

I've got to say I'm surprised how personally some people are taking this game. Bethesda didn't get the license and purposefully release a horrible game just to spite previous fans of the series. I for one love the game. Does it have its flaws? Of course, but I've put more time into it than any other game I've gotten since the first KOTOR. With the almost assured possibility of eclipsing it once all the already announced DLC is released. I think you guys should be happier about the franchise continuing and bringing an untold of number of new players into it than complaining about precieved slights.

Basicly alot of Forum Dwellers need to chill out. Especially over at Bethesda's forum. I mean good god is there some rage there.
I haven't played the game, having not the specs required for it, but the way I look at it is that the people who have gotten so personal in their criticisms of the game, are those who want Fallout 3 to be just like Fallout 1 and 2, which is ludicrous because it's been 10-12 years between the two.

That's more than a few Moore's Law cycles and changes to how RPG experiences are executed that no one can realistically expect that experience to be fully replicated, to the point that even bringing up the differences between the Bethesda-style and the Black Isle-style is just utterly beside these criticisms.

I haven't played the game, having not the specs required for it, but the way I look at it is that the people who have gotten so personal in their criticisms of the game, are those who want Fallout 3 to be just like Fallout 1 and 2, which is ludicrous because it's been 10-12 years between the two.

That's more than a few Moore's Law cycles and changes to how RPG experiences are executed that no one can realistically expect that experience to be fully replicated, to the point that even bringing up the differences between the Bethesda-style and the Black Isle-style is just utterly beside these criticisms.

I've got to disagree with you there, ourchair.

I never once expected FO3 to be just like FO1+2, for both the time difference and the fact it is being developed by two totally different studios.

I don't hate it for not being isometric. I don't hate it for being a massive free roaming world in the vein of The Elder Scrolls. I don't hate it for the somewhat redicuilos route Beth. took with it.

I hate it because it isn't Fallout. Fallout is not a FPS with some slapped on top RPG elements. I hate it for it's retarded dialogue that proved that Beth. Soft. is breaking child labor laws. I hate the gameplay. I hate how every character looks like he is on drugs. I hate how the story is just so ******* retarded in every shape and form.

I hate how such a game, with such low, low, standards is being hailed as Game of the Year by the [strike]****suckers[/strike] mainstream videogame journalism.

Last edited:
I've got to disagree with you there, ourchair.

I never once expected FO3 to be just like FO1+2, for both the time difference and the fact it is being developed by two totally different studios.

I don't hate it for not being isometric. I don't hate it for being a massive free roaming world in the vein of The Elder Scrolls. I don't hate it for the somewhat redicuilos route Beth. took with it.
Hmmm, well that's not solely what I meant, so I did not to offensively insinuate that your problems were just that.

But with the other points you've clarified --- retarded dialogue, hated gameplay, moronic story --- I concede to that. :)

Doublehex said:
I hate how such a game, with such low, low, standards is being hailed as Game of the Year by the [strike]****suckers[/strike] mainstream videogame journalism.
Heh.

Yeah, I never understood how so many RPGs get a free pass from videogame critics just for being RPGs.

Okay, so for my next big new game obsession I'm in the mood for either Fallout 3 or Left4Dead. What I need to know is does Fallout 3 work on its own as a standalone game? Should I go back and play or at least read up on its predecesors? What do some of you generally recommend?

I say Left4Dead. It is an awesome multiplayer game. Heck, it is an awesome game period.

And this is coming from a guy who hates multiplayer games, MMO's being an exception.

I say Left4Dead. It is an awesome multiplayer game. Heck, it is an awesome game period.

And this is coming from a guy who hates multiplayer games, MMO's being an exception.

is it off-line multiplayer?

On the PC version, via LAN. I think it has split-screen on 360.

But it is SO much better online. I can't imagine it via split screen.

On the PC version, via LAN. I think it has split-screen on 360.

But it is SO much better online. I can't imagine it via split screen.

Oh it's not on the ps3?

But yeah Doublehex I prefer split-screen on games for when friends come over

I have the 360 for that. When I want a good multiplayer game, I go online. Nothing beats online multiplayer.

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

Get with the program!

I have the 360 for that. When I want a good multiplayer game, I go online. Nothing beats online multiplayer.

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

Get with the program!

Split-screen > Online IMO if i go to buy a racing game or shooting and split screen is not on it i don't get it.

Somebody get Yahtzee in here. One of the more sensible game journalists around.

Latest posts

Back