Fallout 3 & miscellaneous Fallout talk

It all depends on when it happens. If you attack Burke before the sheriff confronts him, then yes, all hell breaks loose.

Oh this was after The Sherrif was shot. I'm pretty sure a stray round of mine hit someone random, hence it ending poorly. Didn't happen that way after.

But I still managed to have fun in the game.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I was definitely enjoying myself overall, and intend to continue it someday(rented it, took it back right when I was starting to search the minefield town for that grocery lady), but that's why stuff like that drove me so crazy. They pointlessly pulled me out of the game, and in a game that immersive it's jarring.

Except that he's not a Sherrif. He's a dumbass playing dressup and the rest of the town goes along with it because no one else wants to stand up and take any responsibility for whats going on in the town.

That wasn't the view of him I took, but it's certainly valid. But still.... no, a move like that is too stupid even for a fake sherrif, or anyone who grew up in a scrappy nuclear wasteland where watching your back would be second nature.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I was definitely enjoying myself overall, and intend to continue it someday(rented it, took it back right when I was starting to search the minefield town for that grocery lady), but that's why stuff like that drove me so crazy. They pointlessly pulled me out of the game, and in a game that immersive it's jarring.

That wasn't the view of him I took, but it's certainly valid. But still.... no, a move like that is too stupid even for a fake sherrif, or anyone who grew up in a scrappy nuclear wasteland where watching your back would be second nature.

That's generally my feel of the game. It's fun, especially when you cut yourself free of the storyline and just treat it like a massive first person dungeon crawler. But the drive for missions wasn't particularly motivating. Having more interesting characters and more interesting objectives would be a nice start, but more importantly, the problem was that so much seemed inconsequential. Like, with Burke, I blew up the town, and on the way to my new home in the tower, I was excited about what further objectives I might have with the guy..... Only to get there and find out that's all there is to his sub-plot. And the through-line for the whole story was personally pretty boring. I think there are far more interesting and non-linear ways they could have taken you from start to finish.

Except that he's not a Sherrif. He's a dumbass playing dressup and the rest of the town goes along with it because no one else wants to stand up and take any responsibility for whats going on in the town. And I don't know about the rest of you but when I played I opened fire on Burke and all hell broke loose in town. All of town.

It ended badly for me.

It thought he was a Regulator.

I can't wait for the inevitable Fallout 3:1 Total Conversion that make everyone will say...

"Hey! You know... Fallout 3 isn't so hot, is it?"

"No Bob it isn't!"

"Say Al, we should all go to GOG.com, buy Fallout 1 and 2 en mass, and make the goo folks there a bunch of gazillionaires!"

"Gosh, why didn't I think of that?"

"Because you have pudding for a brain."

"Oh, right!"

And then all will be right in the world and we will catch Bin Laden, and there will be peace in the Middle East, and...

I can't wait for the inevitable Fallout 3:1 Total Conversion that make everyone will say...

"Hey! You know... Fallout 3 isn't so hot, is it?"

"No Bob it isn't!"

"Say Al, we should all go to GOG.com, buy Fallout 1 and 2 en mass, and make the goo folks there a bunch of gazillionaires!"

"Gosh, why didn't I think of that?"

"Because you have pudding for a brain."

"Oh, right!"

And then all will be right in the world and we will catch Bin Laden, and there will be peace in the Middle East, and...

Are you done yet?

Are you done yet?

Probably not, poor guy can't deal with F3's success and popularity or people having a different opinion than his. Seriously,doublehex we heard you the first time. Jesus.

Last edited:
So I had a free rental a week ago and felt like picking this up again.

The problems I've had with it before.... the bizarre, illogical behaviour of characters and weird anti-climaxes that result.... I've gotten so used to them all that I'm just automatically filling in what "really" happened in each scene with my imagination, in real time, and now I'm totally addicted to the game.

It's still disappointing that they didn't pack a lot more into character development and relationships like Mass Effect did so perfectly, because this is tailor-made for that kind of thing, but at the same time unintentionally leaving so much of it to my imagination has ended up making a very unique and meaningful experience.

So yeah....

Edit: Also, the above doesn't apply to Three-Dog. He is totally the man and seems like a real person. They did a great job with that.

Last edited:
So I had a free rental a week ago and felt like picking this up again.

The problems I've had with it before.... the bizarre, illogical behaviour of characters and weird anti-climaxes that result.... I've gotten so used to them all that I'm just automatically filling in what "really" happened in each scene with my imagination, in real time, and now I'm totally addicted to the game.

It's still disappointing that they didn't pack a lot more into character development and relationships like Mass Effect did so perfectly, because this is tailor-made for that kind of thing, but at the same time unintentionally leaving so much of it to my imagination has ended up making a very unique and meaningful experience.

So yeah....

Edit: Also, the above doesn't apply to Three-Dog. He is totally the man and seems like a real person. They did a great job with that.

I was a huge supporter of this game when it first came out but I grew quickly bored. The characters are soulless, the decisions mostly inconsequential, and the towns themselves seem to exist in vacuums. The story and setting got boring pretty quick. But the scope of the map was beautiful.

I'm curious to see what they do with Fallout: Vegas though.

I was a huge supporter of this game when it first came out but I grew quickly bored. The characters are soulless, the decisions mostly inconsequential, and the towns themselves seem to exist in vacuums.

Agreed.

But my imagination has literally dealt with this to the point where I can play for eight hours straight and not get bored. When I pick it up again in another year or whatever, I may have even forgotten that Lucy West and Leo Stahl aren't deep, realistic characters until I get used to it all again.

Latest posts

Back