Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman (#570-611) (spoilers)

Re: Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman (#570+) (spoilers)

Hickman's off the book at the end of this year. He doesn't say which issue.

This series is just brilliant cosmic marvel fare. I'm loving it. I'm sad to see Hickman go.

Did anyone read #604? It was, for all intents and purposes, the end of Hickman's run as it closed off most or all of his ongoing plots. It's not his last issue but I think he's only got around 6 issues or so left, and it seems like those will be some sort of tangently related epilogue or completely separate story (of course, we don't know for sure).

In that regard is was pretty epic. I loved how he handled Franklin - who seems just as powerful as he was during Heroes Reborn but is less important to the MU as a whole...he is vitally important to this story and the future of EVERYTHING, though...it's kind of hard to explain, I guess. I just thought Hickman used him really well. And Val, too, for that matter...she is much smarter than Franklin but is such a supportive and loving sister that her intelligence is almost not even her real strength.

"To me, my Galactus!" - that was pretty amazing.

#605, in which we learn that Ben has not aged since the accident, and only ages during the one week per year he takes the serum that turns him human. The issue is a minor tribute to his life and death. He dies in the year 6012 as a teammate of Franklin (remember we know that Franklin lives at least to the heat death of the universe.

Great issue. I hope the remaining issues in Hickman's run have that same sort of touching epilogue quality to them.

605.1 - WOW.

Another sort of epilogue issue to Hickman's run, in which we learn the origin of The Council and the Reed who created it.

He is from an alternate reality where Germany won WW2, and he commanded the first space mission. They received different powers. He killed Victor and took part of his brain or something and added it to his. He released Ben, who was a monster and was being kept like an animal, and Ben killed Hitler. Reed took control of Germany (the world).

Armed with the Infinity Gauntlet, he is attacked by the heroes. He loses control during a skirmish, and wipes out reality. He floats around in space for years before deciding to rebuild a future without his past mistakes, and create a council of alternate Reeds to help.

The tone of this reminded me a lot of some of Grant Morrison's Batman issues, how he goes back and reveals big things that happened in the past that you would not have though to expect. I love stuff like that.

Who was it that said John Hamm should play Reed in a movie adaptation? I think it was Bass. Either way I'm totally down with that notion.

Re: #606

I think I saw a below average grade for this issue on a comic review site. People are crazy. This is the greatest run on Fantastic Four I've ever seen. Every issue is special and great.

In 606 we see the F4 in an extremely hostile, alien environment, battling their way toward something. They crash their ship and are attacked, and we find out the whole thing is an operation to save Willie Lumpkin. They are inside his body, looking for what seems to be a tumor. He's in the hospital and the doctor basically said he has no chance; he's too old for any effective treatment.

And of course, they save him.

I don't want Hickman to leave this book.

Over the last few days I re-read Hickman's entire run (as well as Millar's before it - that's even better than I remember it). Hickman's run is the best this book has ever been and probably ever will be. In terms of modern legendary epicness it is right up there with Brubaker's Captain America and Morrison's New X-Men and Batman.

I was able to pick up on things I missed reading them as monthlies; there are too many characters and there is too much going on for me to be able to remember and keep straight month-to-month.

It's a perfect continuation of Millar's run, with Nu-World, Val's intelligence, and Galactus. "Forever" might be the greatest FF story ever. Galactus as Franklin's herald?I literally got a chill up my spine on that page, even re-reading it this time.

I can't wait for the Omnibus of this run.

I want to read this at some point. I really like Hickman's stuff. When they finally release it in Ultimate TPBs I'll probably pick it up.

I'm not sure how I feel about FF. In #18 they treat the Negative Zone, Johnny's imprisonment there, and his current rule in a far more joking manner than I would expect given how serious everything was when he died.

#608 wasn't bad by any means, but I'm glad that the Black Panther stuff is over. I don't think I've ever read a Black Panther story that I just felt was great. Maybe I'm a racist and I don't realize it? Or maybe I know that Hickman's run is almost over and I just want him to squeeze out as much awesomeness in the last issue as the rest of the series.

So Reed's destiny is somehow entwined with Black Panther's and Black Panther is the king of the land of the dead, or something. Meh.

609 was another great postscript issue. I wish they'd have done more of these instead of the Wakanda arc.

The alternate universe Galactus that was killed to get the future inhabitants to Nu-World was turned into a ship/time machine to take the people back to the future. Trippy.

So it looks like FF #21 is the end of Ronan and Crystal. I wondered how long that could last.

I hate the idea of returning things to the status quo for the new creative team but it seems like that's what's happening.

#611 is out and it's both Hickman's last issue and the last issue of this volume.

I have mixed feelings about this, not the least of which is because I'm sad to see it end. But the story itself was too short. Doom creates an entire universe and we only get an issue out of it? There's a certain beauty in telling a neat story like that in a single issue, but Doom with TWO Infinity Gauntlets...that is a lot bigger than one issue.

I'm failing to grasp the significance of Val on the last page talking about "rebuilding here" (I think that's the quote) so that was a little lost on me. Maybe it makes more sense with the last issue of FF? Not sure.

As much as I love this book I'm completely indifferent to the relaunch. I can't stand Bagley's art, and I don't know that Matt Fraction writes these kinds of stories well. But mostly because of Bagley. Did I mention I can't stand Bagley's work?

Latest posts

Back