Fantastic Four Movie discussion (SPOILERS)

TheManWithoutFear said:
I really wish they did a Galactus story. I don't know why they want to make a Silver Surfer movie.... that's so stupid.
You wouldn't say that if Bendis turned him around and made him cool. See also: Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Spider-Woman.

But seriously, as long as one is willing to take liberties with the franchise, then the Silver Surfer movie should feature a shining sentinel who travels a psychedelic themed galaxy but mixing it with the earnest seriousness of a philosophical space opera.

I mean to some extent, Dune has similarly eclectic mix that combines baroque architecture, consciousness-expanding spices and Judaeo-Christian messianic narrative. There are no stupid characters, only stupid stories.

ultimatedjf said:
FF made about 5 mill at the U.S. Box Office on Tuesday. I swear to god it's gonna drop like the stock market in its 2nd weekend. :(
Yeah, those hasty announcements of a sequel being a shoo-in based on the opening weekend sure didn't take that into consideration.

But on a more optimistic note, I don't think the movie bombing is a foregone conclusion yet. Assuming it maintains an average of let's say, $3 million a day, it could very well make $81 million dollars by Friday (once you add in the 56.2 mil they made over the opening weekend)

With at least two weeks (probably more, but I don't know how long movies really play in the U.S.) to keep playing in all theaters, and a minimum requirement of $88 million in box office gross to earn a 10% profit, I'd say there's still a good chance for the film to be considered a successful investment. Unless it drops REALLY HARD.

Although it DID crash and burn on Friday, making only 6.5 mill in the U.S., it's not as big a Friday-to-Friday drop as Hulk had in its second Friday. I think either Hulk or Elektra had the biggest of those drops, with the FF third or fourth. :(

According to Movieweb, Fantastic Four has taken in $82,767,000 in the US box office.

Given that a few films that didn't surpass their budgets in box office have gotten sequels, I think that once you calculate the next few weeks potential earnings this clinches the deal for an FF sequel, as there are also international box office receipts to consider as well.

Just watched the movie last Sunday, and I think this movie didn't deserve all that critical bashing. Sure it has a rather weak storyline and far from quality compared to Batman Begins, but enjoyed it a lot. Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm were the best parts and their constant bickering and fighting was hilarious.

I believe that most of the reviewers have no idea what the Fantastic Four are, and probably think it was an "Incredibles" rip-off. Ign.com's calling it the "Batman Forever" of Marvel is an exaggeration. I really think most critics should get those sticks off their asses once in a while and actually enjoy a movie.

The bad parts are Alba's not convincing as a scientist, and Doom is just a one-dimensional villain. There's also not much of a storyline and they sometimes go over with the "family fun" camp. Some parts of the movie felt like watching those 90's Marvel cartoons, and I don't mean it in a good way. Doom would have been better if he was a scientist and his hatred of the FF would have been more convincing.

Cool parts were the nods to the UFF and the 616 versions, and I loved Johnny and Ben. They were hilarious and their personalities are great copies of their comic counterparts. Doom's costume actually looked cooler than what I thought it would be, although I would prefer if they decided to just make him go all-metal instead of being a hybrid of the regular and Ultimate versions. The movie never had any draggy moments, and it was an enjoyable popcorn flick. I doubt this movie will flop. In the Philippines, it's already the 2nd week and FF is still drawing lines. Kids flocked to the stations outside the cinemas were FF merchandise was being sold. I believe that the performance here is a good gauge for international since box-office hits films always do exceptionally well here as well.

Last edited:
I liked the cliffhanger with Doom going back to Latveria and his powers still working...

So, is there a sequel planned?

I was really disappointed. The F4 themselves were well done (aside from the whole Ben liking being the Thing at the end and Reed developing a machine that can essentially, give F4 powers to the entire planet) but Doom was a load of crap. He should've been Vader bad, but no, he was just quite awful. The story doesn't go anywhere. Real shame, because it looked like it was going to be really good, but wasn't. Shame.

Bass said:
(aside from the whole Ben liking being the Thing at the end and Reed developing a machine that can essentially, give F4 powers to the entire planet)
Exactly. I find it too deus ex machina for Ben's character arc (and his future in sequels) to be able to go from human to Thing to human to Thing at his convenience. Reed has technically created the Cosmic Rays Ex Machina.

I believe Ben accepting being the Thing has already happened in the comics, but for it to be thrown in as a last-minute resolution to his character arc at the end of the film was a little much.

ourchair said:
I believe Ben accepting being the Thing has already happened in the comics, but for it to be thrown in as a last-minute resolution to his character arc at the end of the film was a little much.
True. They could've done that for the last film they did with the F4, since they already got a sequel in works now.

icemastertron said:
True. They could've done that for the last film they did with the F4, since they already got a sequel in works now.
It would be nice if more film studios and producers would plan out franchises in advance, but I guess that's expecting a little too much from Hollywood, eh?

Instead we get films that want to have their cake and eat it too: sign everybody for a franchise but demand that each installment have a full sense of closure.

I saw it and liked it, a 7 out of 10 is about right.

I think with Doom heading back to Latveria we could see a lot of development of his character in the second movie.

As for the DVD, I also can't wait for it, all though I wouldn't mind seeing it again, the kids and 'tards in the theater really took away from the whole expeirence :x

Latest posts

Back