Fantastic Four Reboot

I agree. But it'll be awhile. Assuming this movie bombs (which it may, then again it may not... it could actually be pretty good, we don't know yet), and Fox abandons plans for the sequel, the rights probably wouldn't revert back to Marvel for another 7-10 years. And given Marvel will assuredly have other films in pre-production phases and set plans for further films 3-5 years out at that point, I doubt we'd see a MCU FF film for at least 10-15 years. Which is a shame. I mean, it's possible Feige or whoever replaces him at that point might want to delay other films to put a FF film into production sooner rather than later, but it'll probably be at least ten years minimum.

I don't know man, Sony basically threw Ghost Rider back to Marvel after Spirit of Vengeance. Their loss because Ghost Rider is awesome.

I doubt the mask will be CGI. I don't even see any point in doing any of the costume in CGI. Seems like a stupid and unnecessarily bone-headed decision (but it is Hollywood, they're known for doing that sometimes), as well as more costly and likely to look less impressive than an actual, practical effects type armor would.

Honestly, I don't think this is actually a scene for the film, but a CGI test using all stand-ins for the actors. Probably to test color palettes for Thing, Human Torch (notice the guy with the orange neon lights strapped to him and strung up on wires), and Doom, as well as movement, action integration with the planned CGI. I mean, even making every bad decision possible, they're not going to use a boring, flat mask and what looks like garbage bags spray painted silver for Doom's armor. Hell, even the unreleased 1994 FF film did a better job than this armor.

Guarantee this was just an early stages screen/CGI test to work out the specifics of Torch's flame effects (hence the neon lighting strapped to the guy's body, which will be overlaid with extensive flame CGI effects), Thing's movement and maybe facial movement CGI, and whatever the hell they're going to do with Doom.

It's sad that the Roger Corman one is the best FF movie.

I don't know man, Sony basically threw Ghost Rider back to Marvel after Spirit of Vengeance. Their loss because Ghost Rider is awesome.

Sony allowed the rights to revert. They didn't "throw" of sell the rights back. Though it's strange that it happened only a year after GR-SoV's release. Perhaps the contract had a definitive end date instead of extensions based on production of new films.

It's sad that the Roger Corman one is the best FF movie.

That's like comparing three dog turds and deciding which looks the best. If I had to absolutely pick one, I'd argue that, as bad as it was, the 2005 film was still better than the Corman version, even with it's formulaic, shallow plot and horrible miscast of Jessica Alba as Invisible Woman... because they at least cast Johnny (Chris Evans) and Thing (Michael Chiklis) almost perfectly. Reed... eh. Not perfect but a much better choice than the guy in the 1994 Corman film.

Sony allowed the rights to revert. They didn't "throw" of sell the rights back. Though it's strange that it happened only a year after GR-SoV's release. Perhaps the contract had a definitive end date instead of extensions based on production of new films.

I was under the impression that they sold the rights back to Marvel while Daredevil Fox let Marvel have back.

That's like comparing three dog turds and deciding which looks the best. If I had to absolutely pick one, I'd argue that, as bad as it was, the 2005 film was still better than the Corman version, even with it's formulaic, shallow plot and horrible miscast of Jessica Alba as Invisible Woman... because they at least cast Johnny (Chris Evans) and Thing (Michael Chiklis) almost perfectly. Reed... eh. Not perfect but a much better choice than the guy in the 1994 Corman film.

True. As bad as those two films were they nailed Johnny and Ben.

I was under the impression that they sold the rights back to Marvel while Daredevil Fox let Marvel have back.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could've swore I read the rights just reverted. I don't see Marvel/Disney ponying up money to get the Ghost Rider rights back when they have no plans to do a GR film anytime soon, and there's no real danger of Sony turning Ghost Rider into a hit franchise. And as I've said previously, GR isn't likely to show up in a Netflix series due to the flaming skull effects probably being prohibitively expensive for a TV series.

And as I've said previously, GR isn't likely to show up in a Netflix series due to the flaming skull effects probably being prohibitively expensive for a TV series.

Fun fact: The D in DIrishB stands for Dreamcrusher.

So I brought up the fact that Marvel were planning on canceling the Fantastic Four series due to a dispute with Fox over the film rights, and was told I was wrong.

For wyo

Suck it.

Apparently, Ike Perlmutter, one of Marvel's biggest shareholders, did indeed get his feathers ruffled by negotiations with Fox over the FF film rights and Fox rebooting the franchise, and that is indeed why Marvel is canceling FF, along with FF posters around Marvel's offices being taken down, no more FF related toys being produced for the foreseeable future, etc.

Last edited:
What a mess.

Everything about the movie so far sounds bad and marvel is just being petty.

If I was at Marvel and had anything to do with this I would be so embarrassed.

3cf.png

Last edited:
Let's not forget that the book has been relaunched a ton. Heck, Hickman's run had to final issues

Let's not forget that the book has been relaunched a ton. Heck, Hickman's run had to final issues

Did you read the article? The fact they'd removed FF posters and stopped production of FF toys seems to indicate this is a lot more than a prelude to a relaunch. I'm sure FF will return at some point, but this is blatantly a move by Marvel to dig at Fox for not selling them back the film rights.

Last edited:
Again, just because the comic is currently ending doesn't mean it won't be back.

I never said it was gone for good. I merely implied it seems unlikely Marvel will publish new FF series while the bad blood with Fox continues. So it'll probably be at least a few years, until either contracts for the film rights to FF are renegotiated or the rights revert back to Marvel. It's likely in part due to Fox putting this new FF movie together last minute as a way to hold onto the film rights.

As I said:

Did you read the article? The fact they'd removed FF posters and stopped production of FF toys seems to indicate this is a lot more than a prelude to a relaunch. I'm sure FF will return at some point, but this is blatantly a move by Marvel to dig at Fox for not selling them back the film rights.

However, it probably won't be for awhile. And again, you're repeatedly ignoring the now well documented practice of Marvel (initiated by Ike Perlmutter) of no longer even producing FF toys or posters or any other related media. It's pretty clear. Not sure why you're refusing to accept that. It's just like how Marvel didn't produce any toys for X-Men - Days of Future Past, though they did for Amazing Spider-Man 2. Apparently the relationship between Marvel and Fox has soured, and that's blatantly evident by the various articles and evidence.

Regarding the relationship between Marvel and the other studios who own their characters' film rights, namely Fox and Sony), this article may shed some light on why Marvel has made toys for Amazing Spider-Man 2.

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/06/spider-man-rumored-to-possibly-be-connecting-with-marvel-cinemat/

Now, it's only a rumor, of course, and certainly nothing to take as a guarantee, but based on the toy tie in thing it does seem that Marvel has a much better and cooperative relationship with Sony as opposed to Fox. That's further compounded by the early plans to include Stark Tower in the background of the first ASM film, but which fell through due to time constraints.

And it's a smart move (albeit complicated). Tying Sony's ASM franchise in with the incredibly successful MCU would be a huge boon to the ASM film franchise in terms of box office. It really comes down to whether or not Marvel Studios is open to some aspect of profit sharing for such a venture. And given how successful the Avengers franchise already is on film (and no doubt will continue to be with Avengers - Age of Ultron and the eventual Avengers 3), adding Spidey to the mix would only increase the box office for any future Avengers films.

Again, it's all rumor, so I'm only speculating. But it is obvious Marvel and Sony have a much better relationship than Marvel and Fox do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, Michael B. Jordan went on to describe the costumes as "containment suits." As with everything else with the film production, I groaned at this as they are further straying away from the material. Then I thought about it more. What if their suits are actually meant to protect them from potential side effects of their powers, like in Warren Ellis' Ruins; where all the heroes go through the same origins but suffer from the horrible effects as if it occurred in the real world ala Bruce Banner mutating into a mass of tumors.

This doesn't change anything of how I feel about the movie itself but this theory is kind of interesting they went with it.

Latest posts

Back