Fantastic Four Reboot

Wow! Just when I thought this couldn't sound any worse they go for shaky cam

Seems to me they should at least still have read the comics to get a sense of the characters

Seriously! That's idiotic. I don't really consider Sue Richards to be a typical character either, so reading some recent material could be helpful.

'Fantastic Four' Isn't Based on Existing Comics, Kate Mara Says

Kate Mara explains she didn't read any Fantastic Four comics because director Josh Trank told her the movie isn't based on an existing story.

Seems to me they should at least still have read the comics to get a sense of the characters, especially since Mara has never read a comic book before.

So, what exactly is the point of making a Fantastic Four movie? I mean, seriously, if you're going to be willfully obtuse about the source material then why ins't he just making Chronicle 2 with this cast?

From Justified Films Twitter

BtbinbSCAAEpuJb.jpg

Sue is my favorite of them and this means she has less scenes. It's a personal "Oh no" rather than and actual bad sign.

Sue is my favorite of them and this means she has less scenes. It's a personal "Oh no" rather than and actual bad sign.

Again, that's a presumption based only on the fact her shooting schedule ended a tiny bit before the rest of the cast. It's also entirely possible she filmed her scenes with other cast members previously, and that a lot of her scenes don't necessarily require her to appear (action scenes specifically... she's the Invisible Woman after all). Think about it.

I'm going to need a trailer to be 100% sure, but this is probably going to end up being the first Marvel film I decide to skip.

Doctor Doom leaked.

I'm going to need a trailer to be 100% sure, but this is probably going to end up being the first Marvel film I decide to skip.

Not that I'm trying to defend this film, but I'm sure there'll be CGI overlay mapping done for Doom's costume.

Notice the chubby stunt man with the CGI markers on him standing in front of Doom (likely a stand in for Thing). And the green screens? Whole lot of CGI nonsense going on with that scene. That's likely a Doom stun double as well, so I wouldn't take that as the final version of what he'll look like.

I hate to overreact to a single leaked still, but yeah.

I hate to overreact to a single leaked still, but yeah.

It's more than just the link. Everything about this movie looks and sounds terrible. As i said before, Fox is also giving it very little promotion so I don't think they even think it's good. And they greenlit Sons of Tucson.

It's more than just the link. Everything about this movie looks and sounds terrible. As i said before, Fox is also giving it very little promotion so I don't think they even think it's good. And they greenlit Sons of Tucson.

The reason they're not promoting it is because it only just finished shooting and doesn't release for almost a year. Once a trailer is released, I'm sure they'll start promotions/advertising. They're not going to line up a sequel without plans for promoting the first movie. Think it through.

That said, I don't have much hope for the movie. I'll be very surprised if the trailer impresses people, let alone causes people to see it to the point it makes a tidy profit. I'm fully expecting the planned sequel not to happen.

But yeah, don't presume that pic is what Doom's costume is actually going to look like. I'm sure the actual costume will look better than a horrible attempt at cosplay.

It's not uncommon to start advertising/marketing during, and sometimes before, filming.

God I hope so. Marvel needs these rights back badly. We need a Fantastic Four movie done right!

Oh I'm sure it will, the mask is what is bugging me though. It's so generic and I don't see the point of doing the mask with CGI.

It's not uncommon to start advertising/marketing during, and sometimes before, filming.

For established, sure-thing blockbusters like Avengers - Age of Ultron, sure. For a rebooted franchise which hasn't exactly set records at the box office with it's previous incarnation, no, not usually.

God I hope so. Marvel needs these rights back badly. We need a Fantastic Four movie done right!

I agree. But it'll be awhile. Assuming this movie bombs (which it may, then again it may not... it could actually be pretty good, we don't know yet), and Fox abandons plans for the sequel, the rights probably wouldn't revert back to Marvel for another 7-10 years. And given Marvel will assuredly have other films in pre-production phases and set plans for further films 3-5 years out at that point, I doubt we'd see a MCU FF film for at least 10-15 years. Which is a shame. I mean, it's possible Feige or whoever replaces him at that point might want to delay other films to put a FF film into production sooner rather than later, but it'll probably be at least ten years minimum.

Oh I'm sure it will, the mask is what is bugging me though. It's so generic and I don't see the point of doing the mask with CGI.

I doubt the mask will be CGI. I don't even see any point in doing any of the costume in CGI. Seems like a stupid and unnecessarily bone-headed decision (but it is Hollywood, they're known for doing that sometimes), as well as more costly and likely to look less impressive than an actual, practical effects type armor would.

Honestly, I don't think this is actually a scene for the film, but a CGI test using all stand-ins for the actors. Probably to test color palettes for Thing, Human Torch (notice the guy with the orange neon lights strapped to him and strung up on wires), and Doom, as well as movement, action integration with the planned CGI. I mean, even making every bad decision possible, they're not going to use a boring, flat mask and what looks like garbage bags spray painted silver for Doom's armor. Hell, even the unreleased 1994 FF film did a better job than this armor.

Guarantee this was just an early stages screen/CGI test to work out the specifics of Torch's flame effects (hence the neon lighting strapped to the guy's body, which will be overlaid with extensive flame CGI effects), Thing's movement and maybe facial movement CGI, and whatever the hell they're going to do with Doom.

Latest posts

Back