Fatale - Brubaker, Phillips - Image - Spoilers

Friday

So I know E is looking into it, and we all know I bought it. Anyone else get it?

What've we got in the first issue? An writer, his reporter/writer "uncle", an apparently unaging woman named Josephine, a group of identical, unaging men that look like buffer versions of the BTAS Clock King, and a corrupt cop that's looking to deal with them. I wonder if him bleeding on the card brought them out or if they were waiting. Given the dialog I'd say they were waiting.

I think they had a little too much for the page count in the first issue. We moved into 56 about half way through the book and if thats where we're going to spend most of our time we didn't get much time spent with the mains. Of course the plan might be to spend half the time in 56 and half the time in the present day. I don't know. I don't read up on Brubakers stuff anymore, I just buy it.

Thoughts?

It was interesting...lots of set up which makes it hard to judge but interesting enough to keep going with it.

It was interesting...lots of set up which makes it hard to judge but interesting enough to keep going with it.

I realize it moves us into Flashback within a Flashback territory, but I really want to see the story of the Cops time in Germany and the Nazi Suggoth looking bastard.

Infact I just want more Cosmic Nazi Horrors. Wheres my Hellboys....

Well, we got issue 2 this week. We spent the whole time in 56 this time. I prefered thst to our hopping around last time.

I dunno... i'm not feeling this one. I mean Brubaker and Phillips doing a horror comic should be right up my alley but its falling flat. I think its the narration. It works for Criminal but in a horror story I need to feel what the characters are feeling for it to have the punch it needs. With the narration it feels like im being intentionally seperated from that.

I picked it up after hearing good things about the previous series but it really didn't do anything for me. I must admit I was totally lost at the end of the first issue, thus I didn't get the second. Still, if people say it improves I might check it out digitally.

Just finished this (or at least the first 5 issues - book 1). It was a little much. I like the down to earthiness of Brubaker & Phillips's previous work...this culty weird stuff was a little too out there for me. And it was kind of confusing on top of that; the characters seemed to blend together a lot.

Not horrible, but not really my thing.

Just finished this (or at least the first 5 issues - book 1). It was a little much. I like the down to earthiness of Brubaker & Phillips's previous work...this culty weird stuff was a little too out there for me. And it was kind of confusing on top of that; the characters seemed to blend together a lot.

Not horrible, but not really my thing.

I have since changed my mind, and this is one of my favorite books. Highly recommended.

It's ending with #24 for those who don't know. Double sized finale. Sad face.

I have since changed my mind, and this is one of my favorite books. Highly recommended.

It's ending with #24 for those who don't know. Double sized finale. Sad face.

Yeah, the first volume, especially reading it in singles, didn't work for me. In fact I'd say that the series didn't really come together for me until they did the single issue stories somewhere around issue 12 I think. Once we hit those, then the Seattle arc the whole thing clicked for me and I've been loving it ever since.

And yes, that means that I've been buying a comic that I wasn't feeling for at least a year. Its Brubaker and Phillips. I have faith. It was rewarded.

Latest posts

Back