Favourite Alan Moore work?

What is your favourite Alan Moore work?

• Total voters
I've not read it because its Garth Ennis. I've never liked Garth Ennis' comics, but as soon as I heard he'd be on PUNISHER I just knew it would be awesome - and it totally was. I dunno, but to me, his other works are too immature for me (which sounds like I'm super mature, I'm not... I dunno) so I've not read the Boys, but as far as I can tell it uses "real world" as an excuse to make peverse superhero jokes.

You know, I could definitely understand this, but you didn't like Preacher? Really? :?

Basically, for a title to qualify as a favorite, it needs to meet two basic criteria:

(a) It must hold my interest, and entertain me, at a totally subjective, personal level (in terms of plot, characters, storytelling, artwork) AND...

(b) innovate and push the limits of what can be done with its medium, creatively.

For me, Promethea satisfies both of those qualifications in ways far greater than any other work by Moore.

Top 10 and League... were consistently more *amusing* than Promethea, but they don't *inspire* me in the same way, which is what I expect from a title before I can really call it a favorite.

You know, I could definitely understand this, but you didn't like Preacher? Really? :?

I read it once, years ago, and wasn't impressed. I am willing to admit that if I picked it up now, I might like it much more, but I dunno. I should give some of it another try, because PUNISHER is pretty much one of the best comics I've ever read. And consistently so.

Basically, for a title to qualify as a favorite, it needs to meet two basic criteria:

(a) It must hold my interest, and entertain me, at a totally subjective, personal level (in terms of plot, characters, storytelling, artwork) AND...

(b) innovate and push the limits of what can be done with its medium, creatively.

For me, Promethea satisfies both of those qualifications in ways far greater than any other work by Moore.

Top 10 and League... were consistently more *amusing* than Promethea, but they don't *inspire* me in the same way, which is what I expect from a title before I can really call it a favorite.

For me, a true favourite, is one where I'd be quite happy to wake up tomorrow and live in that world. It is such a powerful emotional experence, even if it's contentment, that I just want to be there again and again. If I can repeat something endlessly and enjoy each time - that to me, is a classic, and my most favourite of all things. For example, if this were a film thing, I'd have a hellish time picking between DEAD POET'S SOCIETY, CLUE, GROUNDHOG DAY, SEVEN, MY COUSIN VINNY, and DUMB AND DUMBER. They're probably my all time favourite films. HOT FUZZ might even be on that list.

MIRACLEMAN is one of the comics that does this to me. It's just... every time I read it I want to re-read it again.

Last edited:

This reminds me of dead poets society with how to rate a poem.

Everyone's been ripping it off for 20 years. No one's recaptured the awe and terror it had. They just use excessive violence and suffering instead.

Yeah...

is very irritating.

I read it once, years ago, and wasn't impressed. I am willing to admit that if I picked it up now, I might like it much more, but I dunno. I should give some of it another try, because PUNISHER is pretty much one of the best comics I've ever read. And consistently so.

You really should.

For example, if this were a film thing, I'd have a hellish time picking between DEAD POET'S SOCIETY, CLUE, GROUNDHOG DAY, SEVEN, MY COUSIN VINNY, and DUMB AND DUMBER. They're probably my all time favourite films. HOT FUZZ might even be on that list.

That is, quite possibly, the strangest list of movie favorites I've ever seen.

I voted Promethea. It's brillant.

Swamp Thing was the first thing I ever read of his. And it rocked. I only read the first two trades. I have let to finish it.

V For Vendetta and LOEG are easily 2 and 3.

I've not read it because its Garth Ennis. I've never liked Garth Ennis' comics, but as soon as I heard he'd be on PUNISHER I just knew it would be awesome - and it totally was. I dunno, but to me, his other works are too immature for me (which sounds like I'm super mature, I'm not... I dunno) so I've not read the Boys, but as far as I can tell it uses "real world" as an excuse to make peverse superhero jokes.

The Boys is awful. The worst comics Ennis has ever done and borderline offensive to super-hero fan me, who's never been offended by anything ever.

I concur. I bought the first trade because my LCS had it for half off, but 3 issues in I'm not impressed at all. Offensive for the sake of being offensive is just lame.

Yeah...

is very irritating.

It's why I get so annoyed with the hype-machine. Because... man, I want to yell at these guys for being so filled with pride that they think what they're doing is 'profound' and 'realistic'. An honest story that sucks is almost always more enjoyable than a story that lies about what it is and hopes to be better.

DIrishB can understand this more, because I gave him the angry speech I have for people who think that their stories are "realistic".

That is, quite possibly, the strangest list of movie favorites I've ever seen.

Y'think? I dunno - these are movies that, at 2.16am, I'd be willing to watch now. I can just watch them again and again. It's weird, sometimes you're so satisfied, you can put the thing down and walk away, but these films, when it's done, I'd be happy to watch it again just because I can. Hell, I once watched GROUNDHOG DAY five times in a row. And I still love it. THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE might be another.

But I think favourite films should be kinda strange - not 'best' films, not the films that give you an intellectual thrill, but favourites. Those ones you'd watch again and again because you love them, and not for a reason that would hold up in any critique. I have to stop because I might just stick one of those one otherwise, and I really need to sleepify.

Watchmen is my favorite work of Moore's, but I think LoEG is on par with Watchmen. The detail that goes into LoEG is just unbelievable. I haven't had a chance to read Promethea, but I have skimmed through it a bit. I've read some Tom Strong stuff, as well.

For me, a true favourite, is one where I'd be quite happy to wake up tomorrow and live in that world. It is such a powerful emotional experence, even if it's contentment, that I just want to be there again and again. If I can repeat something endlessly and enjoy each time - that to me, is a classic, and my most favourite of all things. For example, if this were a film thing, I'd have a hellish time picking between DEAD POET'S SOCIETY, CLUE, GROUNDHOG DAY, SEVEN, MY COUSIN VINNY, and DUMB AND DUMBER. They're probably my all time favourite films. HOT FUZZ might even be on that list.

This is a cool way to put it, and one of the reasons The Goonies and especially Wet Hot American Summer rank so ridiculously high for me. I'd spend a summer at Camp Firewood if I could.

The debate of what makes something one's favourite as opposed to just being recognized as an excellent work in its own right.

He has a point though - it is slightly off topic.

Swamp Thing. I dare any of you to find a single issue thats on par with The Anatomy Lesson. Add in The Phantom Stranger, Etrigan the Demon, Matt Cable (Mathew the Raven) and the introduction of John Constantine and you've got one of my favorite runs of all time.

OH! I forgot about Jason Woodrue! Can't have Moore's Swamp Thing without the Floronic Man!

Last edited:
He has a point though - it is slightly off topic.

Fair enough, two posts, but feh.

I'm torn. V For Vendetta is an epic work in every way(except for the actual definition of epic, of course....heh) but The Killing Joke almost reaches it in coolness and emotion. V still resonates more with me though, and I often find myself humming "This Viscious Cabaret" in my head.

Grr. I'm gonna have to wait until I read more.

Latest posts

Back