Favourite Alan Moore work?

What is your favourite Alan Moore work?

• Total voters
I think I've only read his DC stuff, watchmen/V, LofEG and WildC.A.T.s...I'm sure it was more than that.

I went with Swamp Thing, not cuz it was just as 'influential' as the other early works or it's the reason Virtigo exists...I just liked it. There's a lot of themes in there, life/death, vegetable love, the environment. Also just certain issues make me feel all tingly, same as Killing Joke, but there's more of it. I think it's like what sandman is to Gaiman, preacher to Garth Ennis or transmet to Warren Ellis. Well thought out run that plays accross a long story arc. With swamp thing might be more subtle but it's about him coming to terms with his own identity...plus it's where John Constantine makes his first appearance.

I haven't read any ABC stuff, but they always seemed a little too frilly for me, maybe if I read Marvelman I'll change my vote to that.

I haven't read any ABC stuff, but they always seemed a little too frilly for me, maybe if I read Marvelman I'll change my vote to that.

Frilly?

I was always a little wary of the ABC universe, for reasons I can't even say, but it quickly became one of my favourite comic universes when I eventually got into it. Top Ten, Promethea and League Of... are all incredible works in their own way, and Tom Strong, Tomorrow Stories and Terra Obscura are also well worth a look.

Last edited:
Frilly?

I was always a little wary of the ABC universe, for reasons I can't even say, but it quickly became one of my favourite comic universes when I eventually got into it. Top Ten, Promethea and League Of... are all incredible works in their own way, and Tom Strong, Tomorrow Stories and Terra Obscura are also well worth a look.

I know Promethea sounds good, I've been meaning to get round to reading it. and I liked LoEG but I really don't like the whole "next issue, innappropriate behaviour for a lady, pip pip!".

It trys to be funny and spoof old timey comics, I thought most of ABC was meant to be like that. Frilly.

I know Promethea sounds good, I've been meaning to get round to reading it. and I liked LoEG but I really don't like the whole "next issue, innappropriate behaviour for a lady, pip pip!".

It trys to be funny and spoof old timey comics, I thought most of ABC was meant to be like that. Frilly.

I don't think spoof is the right word, if anything, it's a lovingly crafted homage. For some reason, I don't seem to like other comics that have a similar premise; things like the 5 Fists of Science or Tales from the Bully Pulpit. I just think Moore injects the right level of charm, tongue-in-cheekery and intelligence into it.

Promethea changed the way I looked at comics. I'd always seen comics as one of the best mediums, but with severe limitations. Promethea really made me believe that comics are the ultimate medium and that those limitations can be overcome, as far as I'm concerned. One of my favourite stories, comic or not.

Last edited:
I got Absolute Watchmen for Christmas having never read it before. So far, it's really enjoyable.

Cool. They recolored it for the Absolute edition so it's much easier on the eyes. It looks really good.

Cool. They recolored it for the Absolute edition so it's much easier on the eyes. It looks really good.

It's obvious that a lot of work went into this; it looks like it was drawn yesterday.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't too pushed about getting this big fancy edition, because not only is it huge and awkward to read but I'm also afraid that because of it being the first time I'm reading it, all the new stuff and the special features won't seem as cool to me. All in all though, it's an amazing read; probably unlike anything I've ever read before.

So far, Rorschach is badass. I say 'so far' because I'm not even halfway through and anything can happen in this story to 180 your opinions about a character or a concept.

Last edited:
Sometimes I just open my comics folder on my computer and read the sixteenth issue of MIRACLEMAN. Sometimes it haunts me for hours, and I have to go back and read all the other issues, desperate to live in that world for a few moments more. And I wonder why it affects me so. And sometimes...

Sometimes I just wonder.

Watchmen is officially, up-and-down, round-the-table, absolutely, totally, completely brilliant and I'm only a little bit more than halfway through.

It makes Killing Joke look like something Alan Moore wrote on the back of a receipt while in the waiting room of a Dentist's office or something and it makes Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? look like something he wrote in his sleep.

It makes Killing Joke look like something Alan Moore wrote on the back of a receipt while in the waiting room of a Dentist's office or something and it makes Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? look like something he wrote in his sleep.

I wouldn't go that far. Tho the issue with rosarch and the therapist, and the issue about time with manhatten are easily two of the best individual issues moore's written.

I'm going to hold off on voting for the time being because I bought my brother From Hell for Christmas, but didn't get a chance to read it before giving it to him. So I'll wait until after I've read that to vote but so far I have to say Watchmen.

I liked LoEG a lot, but it wasn't anything that special.

I downright disliked Promethea.

V for Vendetta was pretty good.

But Watchmen was awesome. Ozymandias is one of my favorite antagonists of all time. Rorschach is endlessly entertaining. And the ending was incredible.

I also want to read Miracleman and The Killing Joke before I vote.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. Tho the issue with rosarch and the therapist, and the issue about time with manhatten are easily two of the best individual issues moore's written.
For me, Gothamite's remark isn't really all that insulting as more than a few great things were born on supermarket receipts and cocktail napkins. :D

This was the issue I was reading when I made that comment.

The ending was odd and a something of a cop-out, but it was still great and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book at all. I still think it's one of the best things I've ever read and I stand by my original comment.

This was the issue I was reading when I made that comment.

The ending was odd and a something of a cop-out, but it was still great and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book at all. I still think it's one of the best things I've ever read and I stand by my original comment.

I still have some difficulty in understanding why exactly
manhatten kills rosarsch at the end. I suppose it's because on some level he agrees with ozmidyius, or at least that now the disaster has happened letting people know it was fake will only make matters worse. The 'greater good' and all that. Though I suppose if you ask manhatten why he did it, he'd just say, cuz I always did it, I was always going to do it.

I still have some difficulty in understanding why exactly
manhatten kills rosarsch at the end. I suppose it's because on some level he agrees with ozmidyius, or at least that now the disaster has happened letting people know it was fake will only make matters worse. The 'greater good' and all that. Though I suppose if you ask manhatten why he did it, he'd just say, cuz I always did it, I was always going to do it.

Predestination aside, he does it because Rosarch wants it to happen.

Rorsarch was caught in his ultimate philosophical crisis. On one hand, he sees the wider picture very clearly and understands that Veidt's actions have probably done more good than the damage caused (this is all prefaced very early on when Rorsarch cites Truman as a man to be admired). However, his moral absolutism will not let this stand. The guilty must be punished even if that means armageddon. So, he was left with the option of accepting it like Sally and Dan, which would have meant a complete sacrifice of his IDEALS, or making clear his intentions to follow his own code and go expose Veidt; the thing being, he realized that he would not live to see civilization again. You see, that was the only way out. He couldn't give up his morals, but he also couldn't let the world die (yes, the mutterings about not jepordizing Veidts utopia sound satirical, but wouldn't YOU be bitter at that point in time?), so HE had to die to honor both causes. It's the moment that really does elevate Rorsarch's character to another level, to that of the heroic.

Sometimes I just open my comics folder on my computer and read the sixteenth issue of MIRACLEMAN. Sometimes it haunts me for hours, and I have to go back and read all the other issues, desperate to live in that world for a few moments more. And I wonder why it affects me so. And sometimes...

Sometimes I just wonder.
You corny bastard.
Yeah, that's how I interpreted it.

Dr. Manhattan takes everything very literally and logically. If you ask him to kill you, he'll just do it and move on. Rorschach wanted to die (And for reasons that, if you were in his situation, you could probably understand.) and Manhattan just did to for him.

Rorsarch was caught in his ultimate philosophical crisis. On one hand, he sees the wider picture very clearly and understands that Veidt's actions have probably done more good than the damage caused (this is all prefaced very early on when Rorsarch cites Truman as a man to be admired). However, his moral absolutism will not let this stand. The guilty must be punished even if that means armageddon. So, he was left with the option of accepting it like Sally and Dan, which would have meant a complete sacrifice of his IDEALS, or making clear his intentions to follow his own code and go expose Veidt; the thing being, he realized that he would not live to see civilization again. You see, that was the only way out. He couldn't give up his morals, but he also couldn't let the world die (yes, the mutterings about not jepordizing Veidts utopia sound satirical, but wouldn't YOU be bitter at that point in time?), so HE had to die to honor both causes. It's the moment that really does elevate Rorsarch's character to another level, to that of the heroic.

That's the best explaination I've heard. He was trapped in an impossible dilemma so manhatten puts him out of his misery. I'm all kinda wowwed now. Wow. I really need to read that again.

My votes still with swamp thing though.

"the clouds are like bloodied plugs of cotton wool dabbing ineffectually at the slashed wrists of the sky"

It's things like this that make me have to vote Watchmen.

Latest posts

Back