Favourite Alan Moore work?

What is your favourite Alan Moore work?

• Total voters
Swamp Thing. I dare any of you to find a single issue thats on par with The Anatomy Lesson. Add in The Phantom Stranger, Etrigan the Demon, Matt Cable (Mathew the Raven) and the introduction of John Constantine and you've got one of my favorite runs of all time.

OH! I forgot about Jason Woodrue! Can't have Moore's Swamp Thing without the Floronic Man!

Moore's Swamp Thing is one of the most underrated stories ever.

I'm with Proj.

There are a few things from Moore that I haven't read yet like "Miracleman" and "Swamp Thing".....but from what I have read, "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is my fav.

I thought this was suspicious, and then I remembered this:

Ultimate Houde said:
I hate when people say this.

How can a story, which involves needless sex between Quarterman and Murray, and a rape scene which involves Invisible man and Hyde, after which Hyde feeds him too Nemo, be considered good?

The story was pure bull****. It's revolting on all levels, and makes me want to vomit. The only good part in that story was the virus that killed the aliens, other than that, it was a waste of my time.

Crap.

Victor Von Doom said:
I gotta agree with Houde on this one.

So what is it, punk?!

It's true.

I'm always most pleased with what I'm reading at the moment and overtly critical of whatever I just finished reading.

Like I just finished reading Watchmen last month. And while reading it I'll be damned if anyone could tell me it wasn't the greatest thing since naked women. But now....I'd be most likely too agree with someone who said it was overrated. And right now I'm just randomly grabbing Moore stuff from my collection to read---and that'd be LXG. The concept of LXG is brilliant and I'm enjoying it very much. And when I'm finished with that I'll probably move onto Top Ten and go back to thinking about silly LXG was.

It all depends on where my heads at. So yeah I'm fickle and flip flop a lot on many things. Vote for me.....

I'm torn. V For Vendetta is an epic work in every way(except for the actual definition of epic, of course....heh) but The Killing Joke almost reaches it in coolness and emotion. V still resonates more with me though, and I often find myself humming "This Viscious Cabaret" in my head.

Grr. I'm gonna have to wait until I read more.

Vote for V

I can barely make it through From Hell.
Of his works that I have read, it's a toss up between Watchmen and Swamp Thing. I voted Watchmen, though, because I've used it to bring other people into the realm of comics reading, and that counts for a lot of cool point.

I would bet that most of you would say Miracleman is his best work if you had read it...seeing as how the issues are kind of hard to find and the collections are impossible to find I think its audience is pretty limited.

I would bet that most of you would say Miracleman is his best work if you had read it...seeing as how the issues are kind of hard to find and the collections are impossible to find I think its audience is pretty limited.

I've read Marvelman a while back , I admit that is a kick *** comic. I loved it , I just prefer V for Vendetta

Not the comics however as such , I downloaded them

Last edited:
While I appreciate Tom Strong, Top Ten, The League and Watchmen as some of my favourite series, Promethea is the only one that truly blows my mind every time I read it. It's the one book I show to people who aren't normally into comics, as either the experimental and awe inspiring art, or the depth of character and spirituality usually manage to sway their opinions of comics as a serious medium.

Plus, it just rocks.

Last edited:
I voted Watchmen even i've only read that and some of his tomorrow stories like the superman one where he "dies" at the end. that was an awesome twist towards the end. and those crazy ones with that female explorer with that caveman that kills her because that the way they have sex or something. it's been a while but i liked them. I've been really wanting to read miracleman and now after reading these few pages I want to get into promethea. i thought it was being written by someone else though. is it ongoing or is it a finished series.

MIRACLEMAN is written by Moore for the first 16 issues - which are stupidly hard to find. I had to download mine.

After that, Neil Gaiman writes it. Apparently, they're good, but I didn't read them. I just don't want to read any more MIRACLEMAN stories. That's how much I loved Moore's run. I just want to leave it there.

From what I've heard about the plot...I'm sure I would vote for Miracleman. But out of the comics I've read, V for Vendetta is my favorite.

Everyone already knows I'm voting for Promethea and I've sufficiently explained why ten times over. It's transformative, beautiful, and just plain mind-blowing. I haven't been able to think the same way since. And for a work of fiction, that's the highest compliment.

Because I like making lists, here's how I'd rank everything else I've read. (Not including Tom Strong or Swamp Thing because I've read very little of both.)

9. The Killing Joke
8. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? (Should be on the list.)
7. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
6. Top Ten
5. Miracleman
4. Watchmen
3. From Hell
2. V for Vendetta
1. Promethea

They're all pretty incredible though.
You're dad sounds cooler than you. Put him on the forums.

YOUR DAD HAS ALL OFF MIRACLEMAN! So... seethingly... jealous...
Planet-Man's dad must be some sort of genetic recombination of Jesus Christ, Optimus Prime and the Fonz.
:lol: I don't even remember that.
Y'think? I dunno - these are movies that, at 2.16am, I'd be willing to watch now. I can just watch them again and again. It's weird, sometimes you're so satisfied, you can put the thing down and walk away, but these films, when it's done, I'd be happy to watch it again just because I can. Hell, I once watched GROUNDHOG DAY five times in a row. And I still love it. THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE might be another.

But I think favourite films should be kinda strange - not 'best' films, not the films that give you an intellectual thrill, but favourites. Those ones you'd watch again and again because you love them, and not for a reason that would hold up in any critique. I have to stop because I might just stick one of those one otherwise, and I really need to sleepify.
I totally know what you're getting at.

My favorite movie is probably Kill Bill (both Volumes).

Every two weeks or so the Independent Film Channel plays one or both volumes. And every time I tell myself that I won't watch them. I've seen both of them like seven times. I've got better things to do. And every time, I end up sitting there watching it.

The movies are on right now, in fact. I'm sure I'll be watching them.
Moore's Swamp Thing is one of the most underrated stories ever.
I didn't like it.

I couldn't make it through the first volume.
Doom is fickle

Like a women
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I remembered Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? after I made the poll. I can edit it in if someone wants to vote for it.

I picked From Hell. EVERY time I pick it up, I mean every time I am blown away by it. It's not Moore being his mindbending, experimental self. It's not Moore reconceptualizing familiar faces or idea's. It's not Moore stating a message (well, actually yes it is, but sue me I need a third bullet point :p). No, it's just good, old fashioned, god damn virtuoso comic writing. You read it and you read it and you read it, and you think "well, this is ok but it seems to meander" but for some reason you can't take your attention away. And then you get done, and you just kinda think for a second, and then you say "how the hell did he write that?" because it's like a jigsaw puzzle of the sky. All the while, all these pictures, they don't seem to fit, but he puts them together for you, one by one, and in the end the picture is clear and simple. God, I'm going to have to go reread it now.

Anyways, on his other works. Swamp Thing is probably runner-up for my favorite stuff to read by Moore. It's just so. . . well, Moore, but in a real slick way. Promethea is great, but I've got to be in the mood; Miracleman kicks it like old-school def-jams but I've read it too much. Same for Watchmen, Killing Joke, and V for Vendetta. Supreme was great but for some reason it takes an effort for me to read.

You know, discounting my top two picks, I think the two works by Moore that I've gotten the best just pure enjoyment out of were his Captain Britain which was great fun and (I'm slightly disappointed it's not listed here) 1963. It was just pure whimsy with arsenic and bile running through it's veins. I don't know, but it just tickled me, especially the whole "Affable Al" persona. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Everyone already knows I'm voting for Promethea and I've sufficiently explained why ten times over. It's transformative, beautiful, and just plain mind-blowing.

...and you're gay for it.

Latest posts

Back