Favourite Alan Moore work?

What is your favourite Alan Moore work?

• Total voters

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Okay, this isn't asking for which work you think is best. It's asking for your favourite. So don't go "I voted for Watchmen because it is his best work and it changed the industry", unless it's your favourite, and then you can do that.

Also, don't vote if you've only read one or two things. Seriously.

While I think From Hell is probably his best, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is my favourite. The idea is so simple that it's genius. I love thinking about possible characters and teams all throughout time. It's great fun.

I've read more than one or two , Sure I've not read it all but my vote is for V for Vendetta , I got that after I had seen film and absolutely loved it.

I'm with Proj.

There are a few things from Moore that I haven't read yet like "Miracleman" and "Swamp Thing".....but from what I have read, "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is my fav.

Supreme.

I know people are going to balk at that, because it's very... very... very far from being his best work.

But I love it because it's bat**** crazy.

I went for MIRACLEMAN because I find it so haunting. I love the ABC stuff and V FOR VENDETTA, but... "sometimes I just wonder"

MIRACLEMAN is so good.

I love V for Vendetta. I love Watchmen. I love From Hell. I love Swamp Thing.

But for me, it's going to be Supreme because it's crazy stupid fun. Also, because it has a scene in which a villain is beaten up by civilians because he killed Rachel on Friends. And as he is beaten up, Supreme and Suprema make a joke about how, "No one told him life was going to be this way..."

At least it's good stupid... not like say, Spawn/WildC.A.T.s. I just couldn't access it. I didn't save it to my hard.

It was a really hard choice, between Miracle Man and his Swamp Thing run. I wound up choosing which one I reread more often (MM).

Strangely, I liked his Youngblood work too (granted we only got, what, 2-3 issues?).

Miracleman, by far.

I loved the original Sentry series even though it had a couple of problems...I read it before I ever read Miracleman.

After reading Miracleman, thought much less of Sentry because it seemed like a Miracleman ripoff.

There is simply not a better "everything you know is wrong" type story out there. At all.

Miracleman, by far.

I loved the original Sentry series even though it had a couple of problems...I read it before I ever read Miracleman.

After reading Miracleman, thought much less of Sentry because it seemed like a Miracleman ripoff.

There is simply not a better "everything you know is wrong" type story out there. At all.

Exactly. Hell, after rereading it, I realized how much it was used in the recent Superboy/man-Prime stuff.

I like Miracleman (especially the first two issues) but I think it would be much more powerful if I wasn't reading it on a computer screen. Moore's comics work a lot better in your hand than on monitor. :(

I like Miracleman (especially the first two issues) but I think it would be much more powerful if I wasn't reading it on a computer screen. Moore's comics work a lot better in your hand than on monitor. :(
Yes.

People say that a lot that paper is better than a screen, but it never feels truer than it does with Alan Moore.

And I say that as someone who isn't exactly a fan.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is, by far, his most entertaining work in my opinion. Watchmen, V, and From Hell, while all great, didn't entertain me nearly as much as LoEG does.

One day, I'll probably get around to reading Miracleman and maybe his Swamp Thing run.

I love LoEG, but I'm going to go with Promethea, because every time I read it it gives me shivers...

Some of Tom Strong is brilliant as well, but I'm going with Promethea.

Miracleman, by far.

There's also not a better "superheroes in the real world" story. A lot of writers use that approach to make superheroes mundane and trivial, full of pompous rhetoric but never doing anything. MIRACLEMAN does what they promise, "superheroes in the real world" and then warps the world around them.

Exactly. Hell, after rereading it, I realized how much it was used in the recent Superboy/man-Prime stuff.

Everyone's been ripping it off for 20 years. No one's recaptured the awe and terror it had. They just use excessive violence and suffering instead.

I picked Tom Strong, even though I think there's other amazing stuff there, I loved Tom Strong for years no matter who wrote it and I wish it was still being published today.

Everyone's been ripping it off for 20 years. No one's recaptured the awe and terror it had. They just use excessive violence and suffering instead.

Would the Boys fall under that? Ive read up on miracle man but i haven't read an issue.

I'm ashamed to have only read V For Vendetta and The Killing Joke.

I have no real excuses either. I own Watchmen and my dad has every issue of the entire original run of Miracleman.

I'm definitely going to finally read those, as well as Promethea, LOEG, and hopefully Top Ten(as well as a ton of other non-Moore stuff like Ex Machina and Fables) over the course of the next 8 or 9 months.

Last edited:
I picked Tom Strong, even though I think there's other amazing stuff there, I loved Tom Strong for years no matter who wrote it and I wish it was still being published today.

Me too. I dunno why it stopped.

Hold me. :cry:

Would the Boys fall under that? Ive read up on miracle man but i haven't read an issue.

I've not read it because its Garth Ennis. I've never liked Garth Ennis' comics, but as soon as I heard he'd be on PUNISHER I just knew it would be awesome - and it totally was. I dunno, but to me, his other works are too immature for me (which sounds like I'm super mature, I'm not... I dunno) so I've not read the Boys, but as far as I can tell it uses "real world" as an excuse to make peverse superhero jokes.

I'm ashamed to have only read V For Vendetta and The Killing Joke.

I have no real excuses either. I own Watchmen and my dad has every issue of the entire original run of Miracleman.

I'm definitely going to finally read those, as well as Promethea, LOEG, and hopefully Top Ten(as well as a ton of other non-Moore stuff like Ex Machina and Fables) over the course of the next 8 or 9 months.

You're dad sounds cooler than you. Put him on the forums.

YOUR DAD HAS ALL OFF MIRACLEMAN! So... seethingly... jealous...

The Boys is awful. The worst comics Ennis has ever done and borderline offensive to super-hero fan me, who's never been offended by anything ever.

Latest posts

Back