Avengers Fear Itself (Fraction/Immonen) discussion (spoilers!)

Re: Fear Itself (Fraction/Immonen) discussion

Have you all forgotten the transcendental greatness that is CASANOVA!!!???!!!

I've not read it yet. I need to make a list of comics to try.

I'm guessing Dark Reign and Shadowland wasn't a huge event.....

I missed this, but this is exactly what I meant by "background noise". We have so many crossovers, that I've forgotten the two most recent ones. I just forgot completely that they existed because there's just too many. This is precisely the problem with so many big events - they're not big anymore. Size is relative.

I wonder if it's the plot hole.

"The" plot hole? Have we been told there's a plot hole in it or something? Do we know what this title is about yet?

I like Fraction's work on Iron Man, and Iron Fist was awesome.

I just read Captain America Reborn last night and besides the fact that it was a solid Ed Bru book that got completely outclassed by The Return of Bruce Wayne, I noticed that in one of the possible futures that Steve Rogers sees, he sees Thor beat up and in the distance someone else is holding Mjoiner (or however you spell it), so it seems like this has been in the works since then.

I'm in for this event - mostly on the strength of Fraction alone.
Immortal Iron Fist was my all time favourite comic - I like it so much that if I was in an issue of Tiger Beat, I'd call it my 'fav' comic.
Invincible Iron man has varied from great (Most Wanted) to average, and heading back to great (for me)
Casanova is very strange - Somehow it has me applaud it mightily for what it is trying to do (even though I don't know what that is)... or maybe I just applaud it for what it is NOT trying to do (be X-Men or Avengers or Batman). Either way, I find it hard to pin down, but in a good way. Kind of like watching a trailer at a movie theatre while eating one of those 'deep' peanut butter cups - if the trailer was a random mix of martial arts and people outrunning explosions, directed by Sam Peckinpah and John Woo's love child. I wouldn't know what I was watching, but I'd have a great time and want to see more.... of the trailer. Not of Peckinpah and Woo trying to make babies. (unless it fit neatly into the trailer).

So... isn't this just WORLD WAR THORS?

This is the current crossover trend: take a popular hero character and then just fill the story with copycats. SINESTRO CORPS was tons of Green Lanterns through the colour spectrum, as was WORLD WAR HULKS. This seems to be just lots of different Thors. Give Juggernaut or Hulk or Onslaught a hammer and make them an avatar for a god.

Or am I missing something here?

Nope.

Tis pretty weak.

I wish the villain was my plot hole idea from earlier in the thread. I'm holding out hope for that still.

Civil War was supposed to change everything. The Initiative was supposed to change everything. Annihilation was supposed to change everything. Except for the fact that many who have died in these events or have been affected, have all been reverted with the exception of Black Giant Man dying in Civil War. He's never coming back.

This is wrong, because the Skrull homeworld is still destroyed, and it's effects were felt in the cosmic Marvel, not the Earth, so they held mainly because the same writers wrote that universe.

Last edited:

Nope.

Tis pretty weak.

I wish the villain was my plot hole idea from earlier in the thread. I'm holding out hope for that still.

This is wrong, because the Skrull homeworld is still destroyed, and it's effects were felt in the cosmic Marvel, not the Earth, so they held mainly because the same writers wrote that universe.

To be fair though, in the grand scheme of things the fallout from the Annihilation wave affected like 80% of the universe, while Civil War pretty much just affected America

I thought America WAS 80% of the universe!!!
(...both funnier and ruder if you realize I'm from Canada :) )

For some reason I can't put my finger on, I like that they're being open with the fact that this is meant to focus on Captain America and thor, bringing in fans for the movies.

Not sure why.

I'm in for this event - mostly on the strength of Fraction alone.
Immortal Iron Fist was my all time favourite comic - I like it so much that if I was in an issue of Tiger Beat, I'd call it my 'fav' comic.
Invincible Iron man has varied from great (Most Wanted) to average, and heading back to great (for me)
Casanova is very strange - Somehow it has me applaud it mightily for what it is trying to do (even though I don't know what that is)... or maybe I just applaud it for what it is NOT trying to do (be X-Men or Avengers or Batman). Either way, I find it hard to pin down, but in a good way. Kind of like watching a trailer at a movie theatre while eating one of those 'deep' peanut butter cups - if the trailer was a random mix of martial arts and people outrunning explosions, directed by Sam Peckinpah and John Woo's love child. I wouldn't know what I was watching, but I'd have a great time and want to see more.... of the trailer. Not of Peckinpah and Woo trying to make babies. (unless it fit neatly into the trailer).

I could talk about Casanova for days.

didn't know that

me too

Oh I didn't mean rude toward you, just toward Americans :)

(See? That PROVES I'm from Canada - I'm apologetic about rudeness, and over-use smiley faces)

It was ok, but I'll give Fraction the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm surprised it has taken them this long to get Stuart Immonen on an event book. The guy is amazing.

No one wants to talk about Casanova for days then?

Fine!

I thought America WAS 80% of the universe!!!
(...both funnier and ruder if you realize I'm from Canada :) )

didn't know that

me too
i didn't know that either.
I think that brings the total up to 4.

I flipped through it in the comic book store and it didn't really pique my interest. From the little bit that I read, it seemed to have a DC crisis feel to it, but I might be way off.

You are.

It's the antithesis of Thor's hammer showing up during WWII, and for some reason, Sin can wield it. And in doing so, she releases the antithesis of Odin, which in turn makes Odin pull all the Asgard gods out of Oklahoma (no wonder JMS left Thor) and puts them back in Asgard. In doing so, he takes away Thor's hammer's powers.

Meanwhile, Anti Odin summons more weapons of power which fall on the world and no doubt will be more Anti Thors, which will be defeated by a Dues Ex Machina at the end.

All the while, my star villain, the Plot Hole, exists in the sidelines, waiting for his moment to strike.

beings of supreme power facing anti-beings of supreme power, retcons, and maybe some time travel? sounds very much like a crisis to me.

Latest posts

Back