Avengers Fear Itself (Fraction/Immonen) discussion (spoilers!)

Re: Fear Itself (Fraction/Immonen) discussion

You are.

It's the antithesis of Thor's hammer showing up during WWII, and for some reason, Sin can wield it. And in doing so, she releases the antithesis of Odin, which in turn makes Odin pull all the Asgard gods out of Oklahoma (no wonder JMS left Thor) and puts them back in Asgard. In doing so, he takes away Thor's hammer's powers.

Meanwhile, Anti Odin summons more weapons of power which fall on the world and no doubt will be more Anti Thors, which will be defeated by a Dues Ex Machina at the end.

All the while, my star villain, the Plot Hole, exists in the sidelines, waiting for his moment to strike.

I don't think you're being fair. If this was Bendis, okay, but Fraction is a more consistantly capable writer and there's no reason to believe, at this point, that he will fall into that.

Now, that said, I have never heard of this anti-Thor character (or the anti-Odin for that matter) so any shock value I should be getting out of this is lost on me. Story was fine, I just didn't care that much about characters I've never heard of. Or has no one heard of them? It seemed like I should have - maybe that's a fault of the writer.

I've never heard of them either, and I honestly don't think they have existed before this.

EDIT: Upon conversing with an avid Thor reader, there has never been anything like this before, and a God of Fear doesn't even exist in Norse mythology.

Last edited:

I kind of dug it.

Me too. It feels like the most epic event Marvel has had. This is their equivalent to Final Crisis - it's the end of the world.

I liked FEAR ITSELF #1, but the sister series, FEAR ITSELF: THE HOME FRONT is shaping up to be something really special. More people should check that one out. For one thing, it's got the Avengers Academy (hey, hey!).

My taste is impeccable.

And Fraction has a real versatility with voices that Bendis or Millar don't.

Could not agree more!
I like Millar, but his writing in Ultimate Avengers seems to be SO generic. He plays up to (or down to) his artist, and the art in these has been bad also.
Bendis makes everyone speak like Ultimate Spider-man. If you took a Bendis script and hid the names, you would NEVER figure out who was who. He's become Tarantino-lite, where the conversation has become the art form - but at 20 pages a month, its at the expense of meaningful characterization.

Fear Itself is just kind of... there, for lack of a better word.

Fear Itself is just kind of... there, for lack of a better word.

Exactly.

I'm reading it but it's doing nothing for me. I can't tell what parts are new characters and ideas being introduced and which are ones I just don't know anything about.

And, worst of all, I can't feel it building toward anything in any way, shape, or form.

I should be used to that with Bendis's crap, but at least unlike him this isn't a complete and total mess. It's just hard to tell a) what I should be caring about and b) if I should even care in the first place.

I feel it's done enough for me to stay interested. Since before it started everyone has said issue 3 is the OMG/WTF issue so I'm definitely on board for 3 but I'm expecting something special.

I felt like the first issue was strong.

The second was weak, but largely because it was setting the stage up for tie-ins. While that's irritating, it's also kind of expected. I imagine it will pick up once we get back to Thor and company.

#3 is out today and it looks like
Bucky is dead

#3 is out today and it looks like
Bucky is dead

Bucky is dead
the Kenny of Marvel's South Park.

Latest posts

Back