FF: Future Foundation (Hickman/Epting)

I was wrong earlier, and have changed my mind to agree with you. We were totally opposed but you have won me over and in no way were we both originally on the same page. This post is legally binding throughout the internet.

So long as you're willing to admit that.

I second that emotion.

[video=youtube;_IkBXlGebeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IkBXlGebeM[/video]

Last edited:
Just read FF#2 and it was terrific. I love what's going on with Ben, Spidey's funny as hell, Reed ad a ridiculously big choice this week, and the cliffhanger is fantastic.

I'm only sad to see Doom so quickly restored. I think I'd've liked a little bit of dumb Doom but it had to be resolved instantly because there's no real believable way for Doom to stay very long in the Baxter building due to the numerous murder attempts he's tried.

Terrific stuff.

I met both Steve Epting and Jonathan Hickman at Heroes Con and told them both how much everyone is enjoying their title.

They're really top notch guys.

I met both Steve Epting and Jonathan Hickman at Heroes Con and told them both how much everyone is enjoying their title.

They're really top notch guys.

You don't speak for me, fascist!

You don't speak for me, fascist!

I am the Grant Morrison to your Animal Man.

I actually checked out issue 1, still couldn't by Spider-man in that setting.

frasiergz7tx1.jpg

Last edited:
Someone should inform Hickman that Blackbolt is missing ever since War of The Kings, and that the Inhumans are now the ruling power of the Kree.

Though he didn't follow what happened with Annihulus during the Annhiliation war, why would he follow the War of the Kings.

EAT YOUR WORDS HOUDE!

In the latest issue, Hickman has just spent the whole of #6 basically saying what's happened to Black Bolt. We don't even see the FF in the issue. I enjoyed the issue, and I particularly liked Supremor's prophecy. It's pretty cool. I wonder how confusing it would be to a rookie. I mean, I didn't even know Bolt was missing until I read #6 and I 'got' that this was a pseudo-retcon affair. So I guess it's quite well handled.

Anyhow, can't wait to see where this goes.

I don't even know what happened with Annihilus. And boo to you not continuing because it doesn't synch up with other comics.

I don't even know what happened with Annihilus. And boo to you not continuing because it doesn't synch up with other comics.

Okay, I was going to stop, but I'm deciding not too.

I liked this when it was Fantastic Four. It was interesting, a breath of fresh air. I truly enjoyed reading it.

But it started to deal with the Cosmic universe, and I love the Cosmic Universe when it was written by DnA. They wrote great stories, that had interesting outcomes with lasting effects. They made a change, and they kept with it. I loved their comics.

And it's not like they wrote in loopholes. Annihlus was reborn, but in the regular universe, not the in negative zone. On a planet filled of his own people and followers. He was already around. The Negative Zone had another ruler at this point, and it was interesting, cause their was conflict. This was not mentioned at all. But it was one thing, I can deal with it. The Cosmic writers didn't seem to care.

Blackbolt and Third Summers Brother whose name I can't remember died in a flash of light, which we all know could be anything. And I haven't read it, but reviews have said the supposed resurrection is kinda stale and redone. But I haven't read it, so I can't say what it was. But the lasting effect was that the Kree where being ruled by the very weapons they created, which added depth to the Kree and gave a purpose to the Inhumans, who did nothing but hide in the dark side of the moon and twiddled their thumbs before that. Now they had a reason.

These stories I loved, but Hickman glosses over it to set it back to when they were boring.

And when this comic became FF: Future Foundation, and not Fantastic Four, Hickman started to tie in events of his other comics into it. I had to read SHIELD to understand what was going on here, and to understand things in SHIELD you need to read Secret Warriors. Which is all well and good, but I never read Secret Warriors cause the concept doesn't interest me, and SHIELD has legendary historical figures slaughtering each other in a secret war, which is an annoying concept. I'm going on a tangent so I digress

In other words, I loved the Cosmic Stories, what they did and what they represented. I adored them. I read them time and time again, and the people who I let borrow them fall in love with them also. It's a tragedy that they have been discontinued and reduced down to one book. You can see the plan that DnA had for the universe. The strove to tie them into what was going on currently in Marvel Comics (Super Skrull sneaking Nova onto earth during Secret Invasion, Blasstar invading Prison 42 in the Negative Zone as a way to invade Earth, Jack Flagg joining the team since he was wrongly convicted into the prison). They took stale concepts and made them fun and interesting. And here's my point.

Imagine someone taking a story you love, stories that got other people into comics, and not even trying to get it to figure out how to make it fit into his story. It pisses me off.

So I dropped it.

Enjoy my rambling post.

Firstly, the Inhumans are ruling the Kree in FF. This has not been retconned.

Secondly, I haven't read SHIELD or SECRET WARRIORS. I half-read the first issues of each months ago and cannot remember them. I have no trouble following FF.

It's clear you don't like FF because it's not the Cosmic Stories you wanted. You want it to continue to reference stories that have nothing to do with the title, yet criticize it for (apparently) referencing stories that have nothing to do with the title, because you don't like those stories. I can understand the idea of someone taking a series and going in a direction you don't care for. But it's not doing the things you think. I say this with absolute confidence because I'm reading the title having read none of the supposed back issue stuff and I not only get what's going on, but I get that there's stuff it's building off of from other titles, in other words: he is most definitely figuring out how to make all this stuff fit.

I can understand you don't like it, I can understand that for whatever reason, it's somehow spoiled or moved away from what you were enjoying, but I think it's just because you assumed/expected that FF was continuing Cosmic Stories, when it isn't. It's FF. It's its own thing that digs in the same well. And perhaps you don't want that. I don't know. I can understand all this. But the examples you cite as failures of the title I don't think exist. I think it just comes down to taste. I get it. I really enjoy the vast think tank, I love how Johnny's death has affected the family, and there's a huge amount of cosmic stuff in the series, from the four cities to the Reeds, and the brilliant idea of the FF's villains being brought on as consultants to kill the evil Reeds. I can understand that it doesn't satisfy you and you want something else.

Maybe in a few months you'll make your peace with it, give it another go, and enjoy it. Maybe not.

I never assumed/expected FF to deal with Cosmic Marvel, I would have liked it if they stayed away from Cosmic completely.

And maybe I will. Like I said, I did enjoy his Fantastic Four run.

As for SHIELD not tying into FF, considering Nathaniel Richards plays a huge part in SHIELD, and in the future him and Howard Stark find the Moon is cracked in two, I feel that one would need to read both to be fully educated on what is going on soon enough.

So far, Nathaniel Richards is a rather small part. Maybe later this will be true, but so far it isn't.

I have question, is Hickman setting up the Wizard for some sort of future storyline? Because in first issue of Fantastic Four he used the Wizard as the villain and in the first issue of Future Foundations, he used the Wizard as the villain. Also Hickman has revamped Wizard a bit, making him more crazed, more creepy and more sinister then he has ever been before. Usually Wizard is nothing but an obnoxious douche with really pathetic motives and one dimensional personality, who is as menacing as a ham sandwich. Hickman had Wizard suffer a mental break down off panel, which is the closest thing Wizard has ever gotten to character development since his first appearance, I would want to know a bit more this mental break down though, what turned Wizard from a slimy jerk to a nut case. So far Wizard has mainly gotten one shot appearances, but I am wondering if Hickman is setting him up for an arc down the road.

Latest posts

Back