Firefly series discussion (Spoilers!)

Basically, in so far as I know, what happened was Fox went "Yes Mr Whedon, please give us a show like Buffy or Angel that will make us rich."

"Okay - it's Firefly."

They watch the first episode, Serenity. "We don't get it." (To be fair, neither did I) "What's that weird language they speak?"

"Mandarin. Chinese."

"Why?"

"It's the future. China and America are the only superpowers."

"Why didn't you say that?"

"Why would I?"

"Where are they?"

"Space."

"What happened to Earth?"

"It's not really important."

"... We don't get it. But carry on."

The show continued. Because it's unique and doesn't pander by giving lengthy, wasteful, exposition, people didn't get it. It wasn't until Train Job where I looked at the episode lists and went... OH! It's a western! In space!

But it's not an easy show to get into. So people didn't hook on, and it got cancelled before it took off. :\

Ok....I finally just finished the series. This is like the 4th time I've rented the show. Each time I've rented it before I could never make it past the 5-6th episode. I just couldn't.

I mean I recognized that it was brilliantly written, enjoyable cast and pretty damn good visuals.....but it just wasn't clicking with me. Why were they speaking Chinese? Why in the future are they not using lasers? So many questions.

But then after reading Bass' post I was determined to get thru the series. Mainly because it finally made sense.

I'm glad I did.

Same thing happened with me and Fables.

So now I pose the question----which was better...Firefly or Serenity?

Firefly was better. I saw Serenity first, didn't have any idea what was going on or who was who. TOG told me to watch Firefly. I downloaded the first few episodes and loved them. Bought the boxset the next day and watched the rest. Firefly is superb. Serenity is also good, but pails in comparison to Firefly.

Firefly was better.

Firefly, every time. Serenity was a lot of fun, but not as good as the show.

Well after watching the full series this past week....and watching Serenity last night-----I gotta agree.

It seriously pisses me off that I couldn't get into this show until now. And of course it's been cancelled. They never keep anything good on TV. They cancel stuff like this and yet we're damn near 10 years into **** like Survivor. Ugh.

Oh Joss Whedon....how I love you.

Don't worry.

The Punisher got a sequel. Fantastic Four got a sequel. White Noise got a sequel.

And Whedon gets kicked off Wonder Woman.

I hate the world.

So now I pose the question----which was better...Firefly or Serenity?
Firefly, easy. Which isn't to devalue Serenity, Firefly was just better.

I also understood that a lot of the episodes were aired out of order in the States, which didn't really help the cancellation.

Firefly, easy. Which isn't to devalue Serenity, Firefly was just better.

I also understood that a lot of the episodes were aired out of order in the States, which didn't really help the cancellation.

Yeah, they didn't air the pilot and they skipped the third- and second-to-last episodes to air Objects in Space.

The pilot was a horrible first episode anyway. The train robebry episode was a far superior pilot and it was a wise decision to air it first.

Don't worry.

The Punisher got a sequel. Fantastic Four got a sequel. White Noise got a sequel.

And Whedon gets kicked off Wonder Woman.

I hate the world.

"Jesus: Murdered, Gandhi: Murdered, Martin Luther King: Murdered, Reagan: Wounded"

Firfly is too good for words anyhow. Our Mrs Reynolds is just a superb episode, watched it so many times and still chuckle when I watch it

That song sucks. Didn't like them when they called themselves Creed, and unfortunately a new lead singer and name doesn't make them any better.

Anyway, the good news is the new Serenity comic will be out early next year, according to Dark Horse. I emailed them in terms of pinning down a more exact release for the upcoming 3-part "Better Days" mini, and was told to look for it in either January or February, 2008. Even if its not live-action, its still Firefly/Serenity. Hope to God they make these minis an Annual thing. Joss isn't that busy he couldn't just hammer out an outline once a year for Brett Matthews to work from, is he?

Or even since Buffy Season 8 is a success and there's going to be an Angel Season 6... why not have a Firefly Season 2? :)

Or even since Buffy Season 8 is a success and there's going to be an Angel Season 6... why not have a Firefly Season 2? :)

EXACTLY!

Eh, give it time. I'm sure once Whedon has gotten over his whole stigma about "not doing more Firefly/Serenity without the live actors" thing, we can at least look forward to some more comic minis, hopefully an ongoing.

you guys are talking about a show that was cancelled 4 or 5 frickin years ago and yes it was a good show but come on do you really think theres enough fan base large enough to support it. personally idont think so

Last edited:
you guys are talking about a show that was cancelled 4 or 5 frickin years ago and yes it was a good show but come on do you really think theres enough fan base large enough to support it. personally idont think so

OMG FRIED LOL

Latest posts

Back