Frank Miller to Direct "The Spirit"

Because it's Sam Jackson and he's famous and famous people can't stay in the shadows or wear masks for the whole film. :roll:

Yes they can.

Kevin Spacey did it in SEVEN. He's a major character but his name isn't in the credits (it's first credit at the end). JIM CARREY in THE GRINCH. Peter Sellers did it all the time - buried under tons of make-up. I know there's more but I can't think of it right now.

Now, I know that the Octopus is supposed to be hidden from view, but MAYBE, Sam Jackson isn't the reason we can see his face. Maybe it's Frank Miller's choice. Or maybe it's one of the executive producers' choices or the studio's choice and the only way they could get financing was to keep Sam Jackson's face in the open.

It's also possible that Sam Jackson IS the mask of the Octopus.

It annoyed me that we can see the Octopus' face, but it's not really a fair indication as to the quality of the movie.

Last edited:
Yes they can.

Kevin Spacey did it in SEVEN. He's a major character but his name isn't in the credits (it's first credit at the end). JIM CARREY in THE GRINCH. Peter Sellers did it all the time - buried under tons of make-up. I know there's more but I can't think of it right now.

Se7en wasn't a big budget comic book movie that Spacey only did for the money. It was a serious psychological thriller that only boosted his already enormous street cred as an excellent actor. So that doesn't count.

Besides, of course there's plenty of exceptions to the rule (V for Vendetta). But at the same time, there's plenty of instances where I'm right as well. Judge Dredd is another comic-book movie where the actor's face is should really be hidden for the entire picture and is instead only hidden for about five minutes.

It annoyed me that we can see the Octopus' face, but it's not really a fair indication as to the quality of the movie.

No, it just means that they're not adhering to one of the classic elements of the character and anyone who wants to see this element adapted onto the screen will be disappointed.

Se7en wasn't a big budget comic book movie that Spacey only did for the money. It was a serious psychological thriller that only boosted his already enormous street cred as an excellent actor. So that doesn't count.
I fail to see the logic in this.

How does the kind of movie that Se7en is, in not being a comic book movie, 'not count' in declaring cases in which a known name or face stays in the shadows or hides behind a mask?

I fail to see the logic in this.

How does the kind of movie that Se7en is, in not being a comic book movie, 'not count' in declaring cases in which a known name or face stays in the shadows or hides behind a mask?

- A famous actor's reaction to receiving a thriller script by a well-known screenwriter, with a well-known director at the helm:

"This looks good! I can't wait to read it and see what it's about...

...okay, well I'm in the shadows for most of the picture, but I think it will work well for the purpose of the movie."

- A famous actor's reaction to receiving a comic book movie script:

"What? Oh? This? How much? THAT much? Fine. Wait what? My face is hidden for the whole movie? Change the script or forget it. I'm not hiding my face for the sake of mystery in a ****ing comic book movie. Who's going to care?!"

O______o

SEVEN starred MORGAN FREEMAN and BRAD PITT.

Just how in the world does that not make SEVEN a BIG film?

Besides, of course there's plenty of exceptions to the rule (V for Vendetta). But at the same time, there's plenty of instances where I'm right as well. Judge Dredd is another comic-book movie where the actor's face is should really be hidden for the entire picture and is instead only hidden for about five minutes.

But that's JUDGE DREDD and Sylvester Stallone.

I'm not disagreeing with you - there are many actors in Hollywood who want their screen time (Tom Cruise for example), but there are also actors who aren't like that (Robert Duvall).

I'm trying to explain that because we can see Sam Jackson's face doesn't mean it was HIS choice. Maybe his agent said he HAD to. Maybe Miller WANTED it (it's relevant to the story). Maybe it's such and such.

My point is that yes, while it is POSSIBLE Sam Jackson's ego meant he had to show his face, it's possible that it could be anything else and you have no evidential basis to claim your theory is correct.

But that's JUDGE DREDD and Sylvester Stallone.

I'm not disagreeing with you - there are many actors in Hollywood who want their screen time (Tom Cruise for example)

Jumping in only to defend Tom Cruise, because that's a terrible example. He's actually got the record or something for starring in the most movies where the main character wears a mask. His face is either badly disfigured or completely covered by a mask for like 2/3 of Vanilla Sky. There are actors like that, but Tom Cruise isn't one of them AT ALL.

Last edited:
Jumping in only to defend Tom Cruise, because that's a terrible example. He's actually got the record or something for starring in the most movies where the main character wears a mask. His face is either badly disfigured or completely covered by a mask for like 2/3 of Vanilla Sky. There are actors like that, but Tom Cruise isn't one of them AT ALL.

REALLY?!?!? I think that record is BS. You know why?

THE LAST SAMURAI.

The ENTIRE film is about how Tom Cruise can show up in Japan and become a better samurai then Ken Watanabe. He can be so awesome a samurai that when he fails, HE doesn't have to commit suicide (because he's too awesome a samurai) and then goes off with Watanabe's wife (because she thinks he's awesome too). The entire film is a Tom Cruise wank fest.

And he has that record?! REALLY? Is it he's played more guys with masks or that he's spent most time on screen with a mask on than any other actor or both or what? Because I just find it hard to believe. But if it's true... good for him!

REALLY?!?!? I think that record is BS. You know why?

THE LAST SAMURAI.

The ENTIRE film is about how Tom Cruise can show up in Japan and become a better samurai then Ken Watanabe. He can be so awesome a samurai that when he fails, HE doesn't have to commit suicide (because he's too awesome a samurai) and then goes off with Watanabe's wife (because she thinks he's awesome too). The entire film is a Tom Cruise wank fest.

What does that have to do with face-time or mask-wearing, though? He didn't write the movie, and the part would've included the same amount of wankery(and lack of mask-wearing for that matter) if someone else had played it.

And he has that record?! REALLY? Is it he's played more guys with masks or that he's spent most time on screen with a mask on than any other actor or both or what? Because I just find it hard to believe. But if it's true... good for him!

I think it's that he's had more starring roles that include the character wearing a mask than other American actors(Eyes Wide Shut, all three Mission Impossibles, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report if you count the injection that temporarily makes his face look like an old man's).

I doubt it. He and Eisner were very close before Eisner's death. I expect something fairly faithful out of Frank.

Actually, you're completely wrong.

The heir apparent to Eisner's legacy was Darwyn Cooke.

Period.

Frank Miller is just turning this into another one of *his* properties.

What does that have to do with face-time or mask-wearing, though? He didn't write the movie, and the part would've included the same amount of wankery(and lack of mask-wearing for that matter) if someone else had played it.

After reading William Goldman, I find it hard to believe that the film wasn't altered when a 'star' got on board.

(Now, I'm doing the thing Gothamite was doing. But I don't care because I'm right. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.)

This looks absolutely awful. What the hell does Miller think he's doing? Seriously? I don't want to jump on the bandwagon here, but this is just Miller pissed off that Sin City 2 doesn't seem to be going ahead. The Spirit, in his original form would work perfect. What's with all the black? All the gravelly voiced pulp dialogue?

I'll withhold judgement until the movie's out, but this does not instill me with confidence. This man really needs to get over himself before he ruins any more great properties.

I dunno. This reminds me of the Warren Beatty DICK TRACEY which was really entertaining in spite of being incredibly idiotic simply because everything about it was just so much fun to WATCH. It didn't matter. The all-star cast, the bright colours, the great costumes, the music - and I get that vibe from THE SPIRIT. The music is really good - I like how odd it feels; it feels like the film noirs you remember, not the film noirs as they are.

I don't like the ludicrously stupid "I have sex with a city" monologue - but I actually really liked everything else.

Even though it looks SO MUCH like "SIN CITY 2"... I dunno. I like the style.

Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez watch an early cut of The Spirit.

"I really want to thank you, Rob. You taught me so much about directing movies on Sin City and it's really helped me with this project."

"Yeah...Um, you know Frank, there are other styles that you can use when making movies. Y'know, other than the one we used on Sin City."

"I don't get it, what do you mean?"

"Well this is pretty similar to Sin City."

"How so."

"Marv is in it."

"So?"

"He's playing The Spirit."

"So?"

"And it just looks exactly the same."

"Well maybe you shouldn't have told me that that was the only way to make movies ever."

"I never said that, that's stupid."

"Oh yes you did!"

"You're just making stuff up to cover the fact that you just constantly recycle your own ideas. You're just not very good at being original."

"Not original? Not original?! I'm totally original! I'M THE GODDAM FRANK MILLER!!"

This looks absolutely awful. What the hell does Miller think he's doing? Seriously? I don't want to jump on the bandwagon here, but this is just Miller pissed off that Sin City 2 doesn't seem to be going ahead. The Spirit, in his original form would work perfect. What's with all the black? All the gravelly voiced pulp dialogue?

I'll withhold judgement until the movie's out, but this does not instill me with confidence. This man really needs to get over himself before he ruins any more great properties.

Couldn't agree more. Plus, with the Spirit's new look, he's just ripping off The Shadow.

This movie's going to suck and Miller's going to blame everyone but himself (a la, the RoboCop sequels).

Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez watch an early cut of The Spirit.

"I really want to thank you, Rob. You taught me so much about directing movies on Sin City and it's really helped me with this project."

"Yeah...Um, you know Frank, there are other styles that you can use when making movies. Y'know, other than the one we used on Sin City."

"I don't get it, what do you mean?"

"Well this is pretty similar to Sin City."

"How so."

"Marv is in it."

"So?"

"He's playing The Spirit."

"So?"

"And it just looks exactly the same."

"Well maybe you shouldn't have told me that that was the only way to make movies ever."

"I never said that, that's stupid."

"Oh yes you did!"

"You're just making stuff up to cover the fact that you just constantly recycle your own ideas. You're just not very good at being original."

"Not original? Not original?! I'm totally original! I'M THE GODDAM FRANK MILLER!!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Comic Con Pic.

TheSpirit.jpg

Latest posts

Back