Frank Miller to Direct "The Spirit"

As far as I can tell - unlike most trailers - Miller isn't just editing clips together of his movie. Think of it as a music video. There are some shots from the movie but they're deliberately out of context and surrounded by stylized concept art.

It's just not a traditional trailer.

Which is kinda cool.

The problem is that a trailer isn't meant to make you go, "What?" but "I want to see this movie."

THE SPIRIT trailer is very much "What" and not "Want". But I don't think it's bad, just... mislabeled?

We'll see. I'm still somewhat hopeful since Miller and Eisner I believe were friends and thus, you'd think Miller would get the Spirit pretty well. So I'm hopeful, just not convinced.
Yeah, the Watchmen trailer had the opposite effect. people I know said they have no idea what's going on but looks awesome

Was "The spirit" a one off book or a series? I ask as this looks great and if it's a graphic novel I can pick it up soon

It was a series from the 1940's and 50's

It's currently an ongoing by Darwyn Cooke as well. I've only got the first collection of it and haven't finished it yet but so far it's great.

It was a series from the 1940's and 50's

It's currently an ongoing by Darwyn Cooke as well. I've only got the first collection of it and haven't finished it yet but so far it's great.

Cool thanks.

Is the ongoing a reboot? So I could get it and read it from the start?

Cool thanks.

Is the ongoing a reboot? So I could get it and read it from the start?

I don't believe it's a reboot like you think of a comic reboot. More like a modern retelling.

I don't believe it's a reboot like you think of a comic reboot. More like a modern retelling.

That could be cool thanks. So it's kind of like an Ultimate Spirit. I think I'll get that

Isn't a reboot exactly that: A modern retelling of a more classic tale?

Depends on how it's done. I guess what I meant is that this is not a reboot in the traditional sense; it's not like Loeb or Bendis wrote the series into the ground and and they had to go fix everything.

As far as I can tell - unlike most trailers - Miller isn't just editing clips together of his movie. Think of it as a music video. There are some shots from the movie but they're deliberately out of context and surrounded by stylized concept art.

It's just not a traditional trailer.

Which is kinda cool.

The problem is that a trailer isn't meant to make you go, "What?" but "I want to see this movie."

THE SPIRIT trailer is very much "What" and not "Want". But I don't think it's bad, just... mislabeled?

We'll see. I'm still somewhat hopeful since Miller and Eisner I believe were friends and thus, you'd think Miller would get the Spirit pretty well. So I'm hopeful, just not convinced.
Yes, perhaps Eisner told Miller that The Spirit was originally supposed to be a raging man-whore.

"What is with you and women anyway?"

I'm interested enough to want to see it. I just don't like the Sin City look too much.

I wonder what Robert Rodriguez thinks of the Sin City look. Or did he help with this?

How come every time I see the Octopus, he has a different costume/hairstyle? Sometimes when I see him he looks like a geisha with white hair, other times he's a bald pimp with a fur coat....From what I understand, the Octopus' face is never revealed in the comics, but Miller has changed that for this adaptation. And he's also given him a love of guns; Samuel L. Jackson is seen using shotguns, Desert Eagles, and other weapons in various trailer footage and promotional photos. So, uh, how come the Octopus has all these different kinds of wardrobes?

How come every time I see the Octopus, he has a different costume/hairstyle? Sometimes when I see him he looks like a geisha with white hair, other times he's a bald pimp with a fur coat....From what I understand, the Octopus' face is never revealed in the comics, but Miller has changed that for this adaptation. And he's also given him a love of guns; Samuel L. Jackson is seen using shotguns, Desert Eagles, and other weapons in various trailer footage and promotional photos. So, uh, how come the Octopus has all these different kinds of wardrobes?

He has eight of everything.

This movie is going to be extremely quotable.

This isn't the Spirit, that's why. This is Frank Miller's Spirit, not Will Eisner's Spirit.

Latest posts

Back