G.I. Joe: Resolute

Okay...

Scarlett and Duke just killed three guys really quite ruthlessly indeed. I immediately noticed the difference in tone. It wasn't kiddy anymore. Fine.

Then, three Cobra people shoot at them in an OPEN CORRIDOR with automatic weapons and miss them. Bull****.

And then Zartan shows up and gives them plenty of time to avoid his gunishment. Bull****.

This is why it's not always a good idea to 'mature' children properties. You can look ridiculous. How did Gung Ho and Roadblock not hit either Destro or Baroness? Or vice-versa?

And I didn't enjoy the Snakeeyes-Stormshadow thing. I liked not knowing. I know too much about them. They're uninteresting. And I can't stand the "villain's motivation" speech Ellis always has to give his villains.

AND... Zartan's death was ****.

AND! Destro's accent was crap.

That said, the "Him! Not you! You're a big jerk" was a good line. I liked Tunnel Rat a great deal. The plot and the pacing was good, as was the animation, and the tone of the entire thing.

I'm assuming that the G in GI JOE stands for... GLOBAL FREQUENCY. This makes me very happy.

Also, I can't look at Beachhead without thinking of Ask a Ninja.

Yeah, I cringed at the Cobra troops falling prey to Stormtrooper Syndrome. Just because Cobra had been built up as this scary, scary thing and then they can't shoot straight.

He was.

He was with Heavy Arms? I forget that guys name. But the two of them where raiding the place Destro and Baroness were.

First, that's Gung Ho, not Sgt Slaughter.

Secondly, his name is Roadblock, not Heavy Arms.

And to Bass, shooting full auto doesn't = accuracy. Believe it or not, in combat, THOUSANDS of rounds are fired and generally don't hit anything.

Oh he's just upset its not called action force

HAH!

No in all seriousness, watch footage of Iraq, and well, any other combat. a large group firing on a smaller one. The Large group is less likely to hit the Smaller.

HAH!

No in all seriousness, watch footage of Iraq, and well, any other combat. a large group firing on a smaller one. The Large group is less likely to hit the Smaller.

The Cobra group was only larger by one man, but I'll take your word on that.

And to Bass, shooting full auto doesn't = accuracy. Believe it or not, in combat, THOUSANDS of rounds are fired and generally don't hit anything.

But... three guys versus two. In a small, boxed-in underground corridor. Maybe... twenty feet apart? And the targets don't move at all.

REALLY? :?

Oh he's just upset its not called action force

You see right through me.

FULL FORCE!

Okay...

Scarlett and Duke just killed three guys really quite ruthlessly indeed. I immediately noticed the difference in tone. It wasn't kiddy anymore. Fine.

Then, three Cobra people shoot at them in an OPEN CORRIDOR with automatic weapons and miss them. Bull****.

And then Zartan shows up and gives them plenty of time to avoid his gunishment. Bull****.

Though Duke did get hit later, and while what skotti says is true about accuracy and full auto, they should have slaughtered Duke and Scarlet. However, Cobra has never been able to hit the broadside of a barn.

This is why it's not always a good idea to 'mature' children properties. You can look ridiculous. How did Gung Ho and Roadblock not hit either Destro or Baroness? Or vice-versa?

Roadblock did pop Destro in the head with the stun grenade, but to be fair they weren't really aiming at Baroness and Destro they were just providing cover fire so Stalker could get the hostages out. Plus I remember one old episode where Destro has a gun pointed at Lady Jaye and is standing two feet from her, and she grabs a chain, swings it around her head, and knocks the gun out of his hand. Also, Destro's mask squinting/talking is the most ridiculous thing.

But... three guys versus two. In a small, boxed-in underground corridor. Maybe... twenty feet apart? And the targets don't move at all.

REALLY? :?

You see right through me.

FULL FORCE!

Really. Have friends who're Marines, they tell me stories of the initial push into Falluja, they would have shoot outs in alleys where the insurgents are firing full auto and missing, the Marines doing 3-shot bursts and hitting their targets.

Most experts say that accuracy at full auto is around 15%.

(also, if you notice.... Duke and Scarlet are just as inaccurate at full auto)

Last edited:
Yeah, he was heavily featured in the movie, and then afterwards would show up when things got bad.

I heard the voice, and assumed it was Slaughter, guess I was wrong. Oh well. The scen in my mind was alot cooler if Slaughter was involved. Now its just meh.

And Bass, to all your points about the bad guys acting stupid it's what happens in COBRA, they always act stupid. Everytime the bad guys lost because they had to do a monologue, a la Zartan talking to Scarlet. What gets me was the good guys killing the named bad guys. That was unexpected, and I think, unneeded. If they are going to do that, then the bad guys should have killed more of the good guys or put up more of a fight.

But to me this was a typical GI Joe episode from the 80's with better animation.

If they made a new series with this quality of animation (and maybe some storylines plotted off of ellis ideas), I would absolutely watch it.

Something tells me with the amount this series is being watched and talked about on the web, that very likely could happen. I'm thinking these webisodes are a sort of "pilot" episode...to something...a new cartoon or possibly straight to DVD releases--more likely the former.

Something tells me with the amount this series is being watched and talked about on the web, that very likely could happen. I'm thinking these webisodes are a sort of "pilot" episode...to something...a new cartoon or possibly straight to DVD releases--more likely the former.

Yeah, going to have to agree. Plus with Hasbro rushing to get figures from Resolute made, I can almost say it's a forgone conclusion.

Really. Have friends who're Marines, they tell me stories of the initial push into Falluja, they would have shoot outs in alleys where the insurgents are firing full auto and missing, the Marines doing 3-shot bursts and hitting their targets.

Most experts say that accuracy at full auto is around 15%.

(also, if you notice.... Duke and Scarlet are just as inaccurate at full auto)

Pff. As if they'd know.

But here's the thing! Even if what you say is true (it isn't), 15% accuracy means you'd hit them fifteen times if you fired a hundred bullets. They didn't hit them once!

Also, if this is true (it isn't), why didn't Cobra goons do 3-shot bursts? Isn't Cobra meant to be deadly badass? Isn't that the entire point? It just seemed ludicrous those three Cobra douches couldn't hit Scarlett or Duke when neither was moving or in cover. POO-POO I SAY!

And Bass, to all your points about the bad guys acting stupid it's what happens in COBRA, they always act stupid. Everytime the bad guys lost because they had to do a monologue, a la Zartan talking to Scarlet. What gets me was the good guys killing the named bad guys. That was unexpected, and I think, unneeded. If they are going to do that, then the bad guys should have killed more of the good guys or put up more of a fight.

But to me this was a typical GI Joe episode from the 80's with better animation.

But isn't Cobra acting stupid and doing monologues antithetical to the tone of the Resolute series? I'm fine with Cobra being useless, just not in a show which is supposedly dark, serious, edgy, and realistic.

Also, how was this like a typical episode? Scarlett killed two guys with single shots to the head. Duke stabbed a guy dead. Roadblock laughed as he gunned down a dozen troops in the back. Cobra Commander killed Moscow.

I recall, in the 80s, Cobra Commander generally coming up with plans that involved a super soaker and a nerf cannon.

GEEK NOTE! When Scarlett said, "I don't know where Cobra gets their tech from", did anyone think of Cobra-La (la la la la la la la la la la)?

Um, I mentioned how the good guys killing the bad guys was unexpected and most likely unneeded.

And I didn't think this was suppose to be dark, serious and edgy. I thought it was a revival of the 80's show.

I'm getting all things wrong about this series, aren't I?

Pff. As if they'd know.

But here's the thing! Even if what you say is true (it isn't), 15% accuracy means you'd hit them fifteen times if you fired a hundred bullets. They didn't hit them once!

Also, if this is true (it isn't), why didn't Cobra goons do 3-shot bursts? Isn't Cobra meant to be deadly badass? Isn't that the entire point? It just seemed ludicrous those three Cobra douches couldn't hit Scarlett or Duke when neither was moving or in cover. POO-POO I SAY!

But isn't Cobra acting stupid and doing monologues antithetical to the tone of the Resolute series? I'm fine with Cobra being useless, just not in a show which is supposedly dark, serious, edgy, and realistic.

Also, how was this like a typical episode? Scarlett killed two guys with single shots to the head. Duke stabbed a guy dead. Roadblock laughed as he gunned down a dozen troops in the back. Cobra Commander killed Moscow.

I recall, in the 80s, Cobra Commander generally coming up with plans that involved a super soaker and a nerf cannon.

GEEK NOTE! When Scarlett said, "I don't know where Cobra gets their tech from", did anyone think of Cobra-La (la la la la la la la la la la)?

I think you are confusing the level of realism here, this GI Joe cartoon went from Sat morning cartoon realism from the old show to being action movie realistic here.

Just because its aimed at a higher age demo doesn't mean its going to be super realistic, its just going to be more realistic then a sat morning cartoon. The difference is people will die, but no one with a character shield will die. The character shield trope affects all media, example in Star trek people can die, but only Red Shirts will die, not any of the named characters and in Rambo II, an R rated film, Rambo can stand in a field with a Vietkong garrison shooting at him and not get hit. Scarlet and Duke had character shields, that happens in all time in fiction.

Edit: Has anyone noticed how small tthe voice cast is, I swear its like 4 people or something.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing the level of realism here, this GI Joe cartoon went from Sat morning cartoon realism from the old show to being action movie realistic here.

Just because its aimed at a higher age demo doesn't mean its going to be super realistic, its just going to be more realistic then a sat morning cartoon. The difference is people will die, but no one with a character shield will die. The character shield trope affects all media, example in Star trek people can die, but only Red Shirts will die, not any of the named characters and in Rambo II, an R rated film, Rambo can stand in a field with a Vietkong garrison shooting at him and not get hit. Scarlet and Duke had character shields, that happens in all time in fiction.

Edit: Has anyone noticed how small tthe voice cast is, I swear its like 4 people or something.

Exactly.

And Yeah, I noticed that Grey DeLisle did all the female voices. I'm kinda hoping that if/when it gets picked up as a series, they kinda flesh out the cast list a bit.

Edit: and yes, it was exactly 4 people.

Last edited:

I think it would look out of place in an action movie. In an action movie, Bruce Willis would dive out of the way. Not just stand there. Even Sylvester Stallone would move.

I WILL BROKE NO ARGUMENT!!!!!

(Unless it comes in the form of youtube videos.)

I think it would look out of place in an action movie. In an action movie, Bruce Willis would dive out of the way. Not just stand there. Even Sylvester Stallone would move.

Rent Rambo II, Rambo is standing on a bridge, a bunch of Vietkong are firing at him and Rambo has the time to shoot an arrow at the Vietkong commander.

Chuck Norris wouldn't move.

Maybe it's a small homage to the original series, eh?

This was alright. I didn't really watch Joe as a kid. It was a little before my time. But it was pretty alright. The animation was really tight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back