General Queries

Langsta

Yeah, so, uh....I often have questions about stuff....This isn't a joke thread, it's a serious thread, the goal of which is to answer the questions that people here may have about....well, anything.

Right, so, a question I have: What kind of frog or toad has those fat, round necks? The ones with the....I dunno, the ball-necks....What are those frogs called?

cant we ask questions in any thread?

also i dont know the answer to your question.

I deleted the off-topic comments simply because a thread like this can't really tolerate them.

The purpose of this thread is to ask simple, general questions about pretty much anything. It's not for jokey questions or tongue-twisters. Think of it as a way of just getting helpful information from other posters on this site.

So please either ask a question, or help answer one. Otherwise the information in this thread gets lost in waves of off-topic posts.

Also, might I recommend, before asking any questions, one might look something up in wikipedia as, no doubt, most answers will inevitably come from there.

Thanks.

In regards to Langsta's question - I honestly don't know much about frogs or toads.

ok last question about general queries: if we can ask questions in any thread, as langsta confirms, but this thread is for ANYTHING, what is the off topic thread for? Can't that be for questions about anything?

and now, your mind has been blown by my crazy logiks

I deleted the off-topic comments simply because a thread like this can't really tolerate them.

The purpose of this thread is to ask simple, general questions about pretty much anything. It's not for jokey questions or tongue-twisters. Think of it as a way of just getting helpful information from other posters on this site.

So please either ask a question, or help answer one. Otherwise the information in this thread gets lost in waves of off-topic posts.

Also, might I recommend, before asking any questions, one might look something up in wikipedia as, no doubt, most answers will inevitably come from there.

Thanks.

In regards to Langsta's question - I honestly don't know much about frogs or toads.

I don't know how to thank you.

ok last question about general queries: if we can ask questions in any thread, as langsta confirms, but this thread is for ANYTHING, what is the off topic thread for? Can't that be for questions about anything?

and now, your mind has been blown by my crazy logiks

Basically, this topic is for asking general questions and for their answers. If you're not asking a question or answering one, then you're off-topic.

While it's quite easy to make off-topic jokes I ask people not to simply because this thread is supposed to act like easy-access to information, and it won't really be possible if there's loads of off-topic posts.

That said, this thread will either work or not depending on how people use it. I think it's quite a good idea but I'm not sure it'll work that well. Just want to make sure it's got a fair chance, because this is the kind of thing that could run dozens of pages and be stickied, instead of lots of one-off threads for simple questions. Dunno. We'll see.

I'm writing a skit for American History....and I need to know something about Ellis Island. What is an example of a mental illness that someone might receive an encircled 'X' for?

Langsta, maybe you should use an archaic term from that time period.

What are you supposed to do if you see a stray dog or cat? Call animal control? I don't want to pick up some random animal that probably has fleas or might be a biter, but I don't want to leave it there, either.

Last edited:
What are you supposed to do if you see a stray dog or cat? Call animal control? I don't want to pick up some random animal that probably has fleas or might be a biter, but I don't want to leave it there, either.

Well animal control will probably just kill it, but if left alone it might get hit by a car.
I usually just leave strays alone, they can mostly fend for themselves.

I ended up finding the answer to my question. They asked people stuff like "How much is two and one?" and told them to count backwards and stuff. Just stuff like that, to make sure people were right in the head (though many of the immigrants, confused by the questions, ended up failing the tests....).

Last edited:
What if you think you recognize the animal from a poster?

Assuming there is a number on the poster to call, I'd call the number and tell them where you saw the animal.

I always take strays in and try to find the owner. If I can't, I make sure that they're vaccinated, and then keep them. It's how I got one of my Dogs. I'm a sucker for animals.

Assuming there is a number on the poster to call, I'd call the number and tell them where you saw the animal.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just to clarify: this situation happened to me when I was eight or nine (so no cell phone) and walking home from the bus stop. A dog just started following me for a few yards but then it wandered off and I never saw it again. Another time a year or two ago, walking to the bus stop in the morning, a dog started following me so I went up to the nearest house to ask them to take care of it and fortunately, it was the owner's house.

I always take strays in and try to find the owner. If I can't, I make sure that they're vaccinated, and then keep them. It's how I got one of my Dogs. I'm a sucker for animals.

You're such a big softy.

Basically, this topic is for asking general questions and for their answers. If you're not asking a question or answering one, then you're off-topic.

Um... I keep getting this burning, acid-y feeling in the back of my throat. Eating or drinking makes it go away, but sometimes it comes back. Usually it goes away on its own after a while. What's up with that?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just to clarify: this situation happened to me when I was eight or nine (so no cell phone) and walking home from the bus stop. A dog just started following me for a few yards but then it wandered off and I never saw it again. Another time a year or two ago, walking to the bus stop in the morning, a dog started following me so I went up to the nearest house to ask them to take care of it and fortunately, it was the owner's house.

I feel sorry for the first dog.

You're such a big softy.

Jerks like you always make fun of sensitive guys like me.

Um... I keep getting this burning, acid-y feeling in the back of my throat. Eating or drinking makes it go away, but sometimes it comes back. Usually it goes away on its own after a while. What's up with that?

You mean, like...a soar throat?

Latest posts

Back