Gotham (Discussion/spoilers)

This went from being mildly amusing trash TV to pissing me off. The treatment of women is atrocious, the Bruce Wayne scenes are obnoxious and pointless (we get it, he becomes Batman, move on), and the acting and writing is down right awful. I'm out.

This went from being mildly amusing trash TV to pissing me off. The treatment of women is atrocious, the Bruce Wayne scenes are obnoxious and pointless (we get it, he becomes Batman, move on), and the acting and writing is down right awful. I'm out.

Yeah, I hated the scenes with the girls singing and being forced to seduce and fight. We get it, Fish Mooney is a horrible person and will be killed by the Penguin, considering PENGUINS EAT FISH.

While the corruption of everyone was still there, it was alot less in your face this time, which is better.

And how many times is Harvey going to show up at the exact moment Jim needs him to shoot someone?

Eh, I'm not loving it, but not hating it either. Plus, there's nothing else to watch at the time.

Cool it. Seriously.

Ultimates 3 is off topic and irrelevant.

If you can't say something nice, etc. etc.

You guys need to ignore each other.

Hey, episode 1 just aired here and here are my thoughts.

Negative :

Ivy's name change (nit pick i know it just urks me)
Catwoman seeing the death of the Waynes was weird.

Pros:

EVERYTHING ELSE. I had some hesitation towards this a little. But I watched it and wow! The city looked like gotham (i thought i'd just look like say new york and called gotham NOPE which is good), it felt very like some of the early stories (early in time line i.e year one or year zero ect..) The new enemy of Fish is great and does not feel out of place in gotham. The acting is great and all the relationships felt great like Gordon/Bruce.

Out of the comic shows on the air right now (like agents or arrow ect...) this is by FAR the best. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I could not-pick about ages ect.. but thats a tiny thing that I can understand as lets face it most comic adaptations need to change the ages. So yeah all in all this is awesome!

I'd give episode 1 a solid 5/5 its hard to find fault and even the two i had are more nitpicky that flaws

Hey, episode 1 just aired here and here are my thoughts. Negative : Ivy's name change (nit pick i know it just urks me) Catwoman seeing the death of the Waynes was weird. Pros: EVERYTHING ELSE. I had some hesitation towards this a little. But I watched it and wow! The city looked like gotham (i thought i'd just look like say new york and called gotham NOPE which is good), it felt very like some of the early stories (early in time line i.e year one or year zero ect..) The new enemy of Fish is great and does not feel out of place in gotham. The acting is great and all the relationships felt great like Gordon/Bruce. Out of the comic shows on the air right now (like agents or arrow ect...) this is by FAR the best. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I could not-pick about ages ect.. but thats a tiny thing that I can understand as lets face it most comic adaptations need to change the ages. So yeah all in all this is awesome! I'd give episode 1 a solid 5/5 its hard to find fault and even the two i had are more nitpicky that flaws

Thank you!

Yes. My name is Bruno Heller. Nice to meet you.

LOL ok I take it you probably liked it. I admit i read no comments before posting as episode 1 was just shown i know in usa its up like 4 or something so i could avoid spoilers. But pilot was great fun

oh I have another negative, it's on channel 5 lol i know thats not a big deal to most channel 5 here had walking dead and once upon a time. they dropped both after a couple of years as result I still have not seen season 3 of OAT, fx picked up walking dead but once upon a time ... no one :( I know after 1 or 2 seasons they'll drop gotham too

I'm still really into this. It's a great prequel and everything is surprisingly great. I can't understand anyone who says they like Batman but doesn't like this show. It's got a lot of originality and is true to the Batman folklore. As far as people saying we get it Bruce becomes Batman, what else are they going to do with him? I'm glad they're not retelling the same old story we've seen a million times. I like how they have him as beginning to act like a detective but still as a naive kid. And as far as the "Look at all the corruption" they had to set the tone of what Jim Gordon is walking into. Anytime you get a new job everything seems overwhelming at first. So we are overwhelmed by Gothom's corruption.

It's got a lot of originality and is true to the Batman folklore. As far as people saying we get it Bruce becomes Batman, what else are they going to do with him? I'm glad they're not retelling the same old story we've seen a million times. I like how they have him as beginning to act like a detective but still as a naive kid. And as far as the "Look at all the corruption" they had to set the tone of what Jim Gordon is walking into. Anytime you get a new job everything seems overwhelming at first. So we are overwhelmed by Gothom's corruption.
Agreed with this.

All the corruption when Gordon took the job in Gotham is what he had to deal with, so obviously it's going to be like that. It's only shown/focused/whatever/etc. here because it's a show, so it'll go on/be dealt with more and longer than anywhere else. I have no problem with it -- doesn't bother me.

I'm enjoying the show. There are things I don't like either, like Fish Mooney (or at least Pinkett's acting as her), but overall enjoying the show.

Last edited:
I'm still really into this. It's a great prequel and everything is surprisingly great. I can't understand anyone who says they like Batman but doesn't like this show. It's got a lot of originality and is true to the Batman folklore. As far as people saying we get it Bruce becomes Batman, what else are they going to do with him? I'm glad they're not retelling the same old story we've seen a million times. I like how they have him as beginning to act like a detective but still as a naive kid. And as far as the "Look at all the corruption" they had to set the tone of what Jim Gordon is walking into. Anytime you get a new job everything seems overwhelming at first. So we are overwhelmed by Gothom's corruption.

Exactly. The storyline, acting, and characters are all generally quite well done, and the production design team is killing it. The sets and city scape shots are fantastic, and echo Gotham better than any other live action adaptation that's been done.

Agreed with this. All the corruption when Gordon took the job in Gotham is what he had to deal with, so obviously it's going to be like that. It's only shown/focused/whatever/etc. here because it's a show, so it'll go on/be dealt with more and longer than anywhere else. I have no problem with it -- doesn't bother me. I'm enjoying the show. There are things I don't like either, like Fish Mooney (or at least Pinkett's acting as her), but overall enjoying the show.

Yup.

I don't get the hate for Fish Mooney. Smith's apparently giving her a sort of Eartha Kitt vibe with a large dose of maliciousness and manipulation. It's over the top, naturally, as now Batman villains tend to be, but it fits right into the tone of that world and believably portrays Fish as a capable, violent, and intelligent crime boss. The problem is they just haven't done anything really interesting with her yet. As the season progresses and the war starts between Maroni and Falcone, I'm sure she'll get a few chances to show what she can do.

But yeah, I don't have a problem with her acting, they just need to allow Mooney a chance to shine, and that hasn't happened yet really due to all the world building and character focus they've been doing on Gordon, Bullock, and Cobblepot. By mid-season I expect Mooney will have shaken up Gotham's criminal underworld status quo considerably.

Just a thought if shows like this last years like Smallville got 10 seasons , police shows like NCIS and CIS get 10+ seasons. bruce is 12. by season 8 he'll be 20. Could this evolve into a batman series? as at age 20 he should be like year 1 batman right? Maybe a little longer

Just a thought if shows like this last years like Smallville got 10 seasons , police shows like NCIS and CIS get 10+ seasons. bruce is 12. by season 8 he'll be 20. Could this evolve into a batman series? as at age 20 he should be like year 1 batman right? Maybe a little longer

I doubt the show will last that long. I would like to see them jump several years between seasons, so that Season 2 has Bruce around 15 (and would allow them to explore his teenage rebellion mixed with his anger over his parents' unsolved murders, combining to springboard him into his vigilante mindset). Season 3 could pick up when Bruce is around 18. They'd probably be able to use the same actor for Season 2, but would have to recast the role for Season 3. And if there is a Season 4, it could have a 21 or 22 year old Bruce, perhaps showing his travels around the world and training. I'd like to see the series finale feature Bruce returning to Gotham and taking up the mantle of Batman.

Those time jumps will also allow for better development for Gordon and the other cast members, as well as for the city itself and the effects Gordon's crusade has on the police department, crime, and the city itself. That seems, to me, to be the best approach they could take. It would also allow for the possible introduction of an infant/child Barbara Gordon as the series progresses.

I don't hate Fish Mooney. It's more of not liking Pinkett's portrayal of her. It's not horrible, but don't like it either.

That said, did not notice this:

queen-consolidated-gotham-108089-b4960.jpg

"You know, it's a great question!" said Guggenheim. "The internet did point out to me the Queen Consolidated [logo] -- or what looked like a Queen Consolidated Easter egg. I'm still actually trying to find out how intentional that was. Let me just say the investigation is ongoing."

MTV pretty much solves the case by presenting a quote from "Gotham" EP Danny Cannon, taken from his recent appearance at New York Comic Con. "I gotta tell you, it was completely unintentional," said Cannon. "Somebody spotted it in the cutting room, but we move so fast, we were like, 'That's cool, leave it in! don't talk about it!' We were stealing -- the visual effects guys were stealing neon letters from other places, and that was one that worked. But it was unintentional."

Both Cannon and Guggenheim then stressed that each show is in its own separate universe, and that that neon "Q" might be the closest the shows ever get to a crossover."

(via CBR)

Last edited:
Damn. Episode 5 was really good, probably the best one yet.

Fish's plan with the girl is taking shape, all part of a number of balls she's juggling to take out Falcone.

The Viper drug was interesting, and I was psyched when it was mentioned Viper was only the first version, with a second and much more stable version called Venom having been created.

Liking the slow build of the trust between Gordon and Bullock.

And as usual, absolutely loving the scenes between Bruce and Alfred. Liked them picking up the plot thread of Bruce investigating Wayne Enterprises itself, and how they showed Bruce's intelligence and intellect, well beyond his years, when he was questioning the Wayne Enterprises manager.

This show continues to get better and better, even after a pretty strong start.

Last week showed a little improvement. Three more seasons of this increase and we should have at the very least a decent show.

Latest posts

Back