Gotham (Discussion/spoilers)

Damn good episode. It seems the ones where they embrace the camp always are. I liked how the Red Hood basically turned the wearer into the Joker. Reggie and Bruce's relationship was just fascinating. I wouldn't mind if Bruce donned the cowl at the end of the season to be honest. In fact, I think they should do it. It would be an incredibly bold move.

Yeah I enjoyed the Red Hood episode as well. I think there's always been a noticeable element of camp to Gotham, and that's why I've enjoyed it, from the villains like Penguin and Fish, to Zsasz, etc.

I did like Reggie teaching Bruce moves and Bruce telling Alfred that they were effective (if not honorable).

As for Bruce donning the cowl at the end of the first season... that would be disastrous. For one, he's still only a 12-13 year old kid who can't at all handle himself against full grown, brutal criminals. He'd end up dead.

That said, I could see him donning a makeshift mask and going out to fight crime on his own (sort of like a younger version of Batman - Year One) with him being badly hurt and Alfred having to come to the rescue. That would be an important learning experience for Bruce regarding tactics and a motivator for him to travel the world and get extensive training in a variety of martial arts/ninjutsu/blending in with the darkness, etc.

Bruce has a lot of growing up to do before he's at all ready to take up the cowl as Batman, even with the early Batman still having a lot to learn, the Bruce on the show is nowhere close to that.

Like I said, I hope they jump several years ahead between each season, to allow Bruce to grow older (likely requiring a new actor to portray that time passage), ending up with Bruce around 19-20 by the end of Season 3 at which point he leaves to travel the world. It could offer a side story approach to the events in Gotham with Bruce running into trouble on his journeys, and eventually going to Nanda Parbat to train with the League. The beginning of Season 4 could see him return and begin his quest (around age 22-24), going out at night and making a difference, but still being a little green and inexperienced (coming home and having Alfred patch him up, as well as lecture him about what he's doing, which could make for some really emotional sort of father/son scenes between Bruce and Alfred).

Those time jumps would also allow for Gordon's quest to clean up Gotham to gain traction over the several year breaks between seasons. Plus they can age Gordon and Bullock a bit through hair coloring and Gordon can grow out his 'stache, as well as eventually marry Barbara and have young Barbara around Season 3.

Thus, by the end of Season 4, Bruce can finally have his revelation of dressing as the bat and craft the costume over the last few episodes of Season 4, debuting it in the final scene of Season 4. If there's a Season 5, they can parallel Gordon's quest with Bruce's, and finally have Bruce recruit Gordon to his cause (which Gordon already is, in essence).

Allows for a lot more in terms of character development and advancement between the seasons, offering changing circumstances that only time can bring.

Yea it's way to early for the cowl. Remember the show is Gotham not Batman. I personally wouldn't want to see a time jump. If they do, just a little at a time. This season has focused a lot on Oswald. Let the other seasons focus on other characters and have some of this seasons characters take a step back but still develop.

I'm telling you. End of season two he's in the cave with all the tech and stuff. Batboy the Series.

Yea it's way to early for the cowl. Remember the show is Gotham not Batman. I personally wouldn't want to see a time jump. If they do, just a little at a time. This season has focused a lot on Oswald. Let the other seasons focus on other characters and have some of this seasons characters take a step back but still develop.

I see the (hypothetical) time jumps as a necessary tool for advancing character development in a realistic manner. It could be done in a long and drawn out approach by not utilizing jumps forward between seasons, but by using those several year jumps it mixes things up more and keeps the viewers interested. It also makes it far easier to raise questions of how characters got to their new respective places between seasons (which can be answered through flashbacks).

Bruce first discovers the cave when he's a kid. I wonder if we'll get that this season or within the the next two or so?

They could do it as part of the Season Finale this year.

No. Just discovering the cave is all that's needed.

You do realize wyo is trolling you (and this show) for the most part, right?

No I'm not, I legitimately want to see Batboy! Outside of Fish Bruce is my least favorite part and I really want to see that. He could run around with Ace. It'd be so epic!

No I'm not, I legitimately want to see Batboy! Outside of Fish Bruce is my least favorite part and I really want to see that. He could run around with Ace. It'd be so epic!

7327823338_65d06dbc8e_o_d.jpg

I like that season two seems to be throwing the idea of building to Batman out the window and is now just world building mass throwing in as much as they can like season 8 of Smallville started to do. Hopefully all this dual identity talk will lead to him donning the cowl and becoming Batkid in the season finale like we all know we want to see.

Settling once and for all when to expect Batman.

"According to McKenzie, that's what the series is building to: "In the very last frame of the very last scene of the very last episode of the very last season of Gotham, whenever that turns out to be, that's when we'll see Bruce Wayne put on the cape and cowl," McKenzie said."

[video=youtube;Iwzfj70iS7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwzfj70iS7o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
I'm glad. This is Gotham not Batman. We have the Batman movies,the cartoons,the old shows,and of course the comics. Let's let this be an original twist on a classic legend. And as far as season one went, Jim Gordon is strong enough to take center stage.

I don't want to see him turn to Batman. I've seen it before and I can see it anywhere. I want to see why does a city like Gotham needs Batman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they seem to have just given up and are embracing the camp completely. Them throwing people off the building being played for laughs (there being an extra due to them misspelling maniacs was a nice touch), Jerome being obviously not Joker, the full blown explotation, the entire school bus scene and Riddle going Jim Carrey's iteration insane. And he stuff with Bruce and Alfred is actually interesting now! Let's hope it doesn't drag on for 5 episodes though. #Barbra4Joker

I'm glad they seem to have just given up and are embracing the camp completely.

Dude, they've embraced the camp from the first episode: Oswald, Fish, Nygma, literally every villain in Season 1...

Them throwing people off the building being played for laughs (there being an extra due to them misspelling maniacs was a nice touch), Jerome being obviously not Joker, the full blown explotation, the entire school bus scene and Riddle going Jim Carrey's iteration insane. And he stuff with Bruce and Alfred is actually interesting now! Let's hope it doesn't drag on for 5 episodes though. #Barbra4Joker

I agree Jerome probably isn't Joker (due to them saying they'd throw red herring possibilities into the mix to keep people guessing), but how exactly is it obvious he isn't Joker?

Yeah, but season 1 felt like they didn't know if they wanted to be serious or campy and it ended up being this, for me, unwatchable mess of a show. This feels like Batman '66 to me. I love it.

He's too...on the nose and an amalgamation of versions of the Joker, but it changes who he's channeling every word at times. It just seems like he's too obvious to be the Joker due to how unsubtle it is. I'd love for them to take the failed stand-up comedian from the first episode and start The Killing Joke with him. Have the end of his story be him getting the Red Hood. Meanwhile have different false Jokers popping up in the mean time.

Last edited:
Yeah, but season 1 felt like they didn't know if they wanted to be serious or campy and it ended up being this, for me, unwatchable mess of a show. This feels like Batman '66 to me. I love it.

A show with people being thrown off roofs feels like Batman '66 to you? Apparently we were watching different shows.

To me, it always seemed perfectly self aware of its camp. Its a mixture of camp and serious, dark storylines and tones. It already decided to be that mixture from the first episode.

He's too...on the nose and an amalgamation of versions of the Joker, but it changes who he's channeling every word at times. It just seems like he's too obvious to be the Joker due to how unsubtle it is. I'd love for them to take the failed stand-up comedian from the first episode and start The Killing Joke with him. Have the end of his story be him getting the Red Hood. Meanwhile have different false Jokers popping up in the mean time.

I agree he's too obvious, and is likely just a red herring. The comedian angle would be ok.

The word dark should be in front of Batman '66. It feels like a dark Batman '66. Nothing has been serious this season, it's great.

Latest posts

Back