Gotham (Discussion/spoilers)

This show is the best comedy on TV right now:

B1D8Lv7CMAIL7_n.jpg

I want a spinoff about The Balloonman.

Who knew that we just needed the creator of The Tick to write an episode. Great episode. The humor was spread on thick and had a self awareness that could create Ultron. Also they shrunk the cast down incredibly and that really helped the pacing and tone. We also got some actual character development. Best episode so far.

Last edited:

I don't imagine there was any kind of explanation as to why he would own a coffee mug with a giant question mark on it, and holding it just perfectly so that everyone can see the subtle foreshadowing?

I don't imagine there was any kind of explanation as to why he would own a coffee mug with a giant question mark on it, and holding it just perfectly so that everyone can see the subtle foreshadowing?
You are correct, sir!

Another good episode. Had some pacing problems, awkward tonal shifts, and some clunky dialogue, but otherwise it was pretty solid. Harvey and Jim finally feel like a duo, Robin Taylor Lord is still stealing every scene, and, while it still is suffering from being a prequel, the improvement in the writing is allowing actual tension. It's treatment towards women has gotten to the point where it seems like it's intentional and it's making me laugh now. Also that was a terrible version of Zsasz. It worked for the show, but they took away everything that made him interesting. Hopefully they're building to it. I liked that they're using continuity and the show is taking things from basically everything Batman. Penguin needs to run for mayor again.

I was just reading the late 90s-early 2000s Superman comic and there's this flashback scene in an issue by Jeph Loeb that has pre-powers Clark standing up to a bully talking about the only time he's punched somone as hard as he could. Before he does that though he goes to Jonathan and says to him that he tought him that bullies only get more power when people don't stand up to them and he asks him to teach him how to fight. He does this not because he's getting picked on, but because the bully is picking on Lana and Pete. Later on Jeph Loeb would write the Superman/Batman comic and he'd do an incredible showing the similarities and differences between these two characters. Now we have this episode where Bruce wants to learn for revenge. I think that's a pretty good comparw and contrast there. I'm finally starting to enjoy the Bruce scenes.

The guy playing Jerome (who may or may not be Joker) certainly gave a damn good take on the character, sort of a perfect blend of the Nicholson, Ledger, and Hamill versions.

The laugh, the smile, and the dangerous eyes were all in play. I was impressed:

http://youtu.be/1IDMTDQngQ0

Also, if he does end up being Joker later on, that's one of the best explanations for the Joker origin ever... the fact he's a ginger... because they have no souls. Brilliant!

Agreed. That's what makes this show work so well, great casting. I'm enjoying Fish more now in this situation she's in.

Agreed. That's what makes this show work so well, great casting. I'm enjoying Fish more now in this situation she's in.

I'm also a huge fan of the set designs and shooting location choices in the show. As I've said before, more than any other live action version of Batman with Gotham, this show translates it the best from the comics. The GCPD and Penguin's (formerly Fish's) Lounge sets are a perfect example of what I mean.

I can't figure out why this got a second season but not Constantine. Also they completely spoiled the new episode with the commercials. What's the point? Can't wait to see how this tackles the Pheonix Saga!

Last edited:
I can't figure out why this got a second season but not Constantine.
Because FOX actually has faith in the show.
Because FOX didn't give it the death slot on a Friday night. At 10pm.
Because FOX actually has something that is part of a world that is connected/part of a character that is one of the most popular and loved DC characters, moreso than the other.

The show is getting better as it goes. I'm very much enjoying it.

Also they completely spoiled the new episode with the commercials. What's the point?
I do hate when that happens. And when there are parts in promos (this is in general) that are part of the last few minutes of an episode. Hate it.

Can't wait to see how this tackles the Pheonix Saga!
:roll:

I can't figure out why this got a second season but not Constantine.

Basically because:

Because FOX actually has something that is part of a world that is connected/part of a character that is one of the most popular and loved DC characters, moreso than the other.

I enjoy Gotham.

You, wyo, obviously never have, considering you've been complaining about it since the beginning, which begs the question of why you're even still watching it. Is it merely to give you reason to complain about it?

Gotham is a lot of fun.

I agree. It's come a long way since the first episode. I paparticularly enjoyed the episode with the toxin and the one that focused on Harvey. It still has a long way to go though. Barbra is still intolerable, Catwoman seems to not really have a purpose, and pretty much all the women are the big problems for me. Except for the girl Riddler is into. Riddler is still my favorite character. I love Penguin and the mob bosses. Harvey is a gift. Gordon is boring and uninteresting though and I feel like that's a big problem as well. I like the show, I just wish it was better.

Damn good episode. It seems the ones where they embrace the camp always are. I liked how the Red Hood basically turned the wearer into the Joker. Reggie and Bruce's relationship was just fascinating. I wouldn't mind if Bruce donned the cowl at the end of the season to be honest. In fact, I think they should do it. It would be an incredibly bold move.

Latest posts

Back