Gotham TV Series news

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Reported by CBR:

MTV News also suggests that a ratings win for "S.H.I.E.L.D." could be a success for the cross-town rivals in New York and Burbank. Their evidence: a recent USA Today interview with Ed Brubaker in which he says, "There's been talk of 'Gotham Central' on TV since when we were doing the comic even (in the mid-2000s). Everyone at Warner Bros. really loved it. ['Dark Knight' trilogy director] Chris Nolan after they did 'Birds of Prey' had asked them to just please not do any Batman-related stuff until he was done with his trilogy — looking at 'Birds of Prey,' you can see why. It was not the world's greatest pilot." He also mentioned a Hollywood Reporter article from "a couple of months ago" that stated the series was in development. I suppose once the "S.H.I.E.L.D." ratings come in, we'll know for sure. I think it's a great idea. "Gotham Central" is a terrific superhero-adjacent premise that can be produced on a TV budget with ease. Also, who wouldn't want to see Crispus Allen and Rene Montoya in real-deal live action?

Re: Gotham Central TV Series?

I love Gotham Central. I just hope it won't be a SHIELD clone if it gets made.

Same here.

For some reason, vague references to Batman and constant concern of his involvement in a given case would seem really, really cool.

Same here.

For some reason, vague references to Batman and constant concern of his involvement in a given case would seem really, really cool.
It would be. And with WB's "No live-action Bruce Wayne/Batman appearance outside of feature films" rule, that's all there would be too.

Last edited:

Given that the JL Batman is being positioned as older and wearier, this could be a neat way to fill in some backstory.

I have my doubts about this. I think something involving the Gotham PD could work if it's set while Batman is active (and he's a background character that they refer to). I just don't know how many people are going to be interested in a police drama set in Gotham, since (presumably) most of the heroes and villains that make Gotham unique won't be appearing.

It's the same issue I have with the new SHIELD show. I just don't think that many people are interested in watching Agent Coulson week after week. As much as big fans of the Marvel movie universe may love him, people saw the Avengers because of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and Scarlett Johansson.

I have my doubts about this. I think something involving the Gotham PD could work if it's set while Batman is active (and he's a background character that they refer to). I just don't know how many people are going to be interested in a police drama set in Gotham, since (presumably) most of the heroes and villains that make Gotham unique won't be appearing.

It's the same issue I have with the new SHIELD show. I just don't think that many people are interested in watching Agent Coulson week after week. As much as big fans of the Marvel movie universe may love him, people saw the Avengers because of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and Scarlett Johansson.

The SHIELD argument strikes me as silly. This isn't "The Avengers: The TV Show" and I don't think many people have that expectation. It's a sci-fi action drama that just has the added appeal of tying in to the Avengers franchise. "A government team tasked with controlling the burgeoning threat of superhumans" strikes me as a premise that has potential even if it didn't have the Marvel name attached. Whether it sticks with audiences is another matter, but testing out a new TV show is always a gamble, and this seems like one of the surer bets they could take.

I do share similar concerns over Gotham though. I worry WB is taking a "me too" approach and just trying to rush a premise out of the gates to compete rather than having a solid premise and writer in place and building from there. If he weren't already tied up with Hannibal, I'd say Bryan Fuller would be a great choice for show runner.

I do see the potential there. I'd bet WB recognizes the success they had with the Nolan trilogy and would rather keep Batman relegated to crossover films and the small screen rather than rebooting his core franchise from scratch. I have no doubt we'll see "pre-villain" versions of major characters. Odds are almost certain we'll see Harvey Dent, probably along with characters like Cobblepot, Crane, and Zsasz. I think, theoretically, a crime series that explores why a city like Gotham needs a guy like Batman is a solid one. But to make a parallel to Hannibal, that series works because the audience knows Hannibal is going to become the Hannibal they love. The seasons are building to a pay-off they know they're going to get over the course of the series. But here, they might know Harvey Dent will become Two-Face but they also know they won't see that transformation happen over the course of the series.

I suppose they could have the rise of super-villains happen before Batman steps onto the stage and in doing so, they could have increased moral justification for a guy like Bats running around.... I guess we'll see, but I'm certainly cautious.

I worry WB is taking a "me too" approach and just trying to rush a premise out of the gates to compete rather than having a solid premise and writer in place and building from there.

I would be too, but isn't it established that this is basically Gotham Central for TV? That's a pretty solid, established premise.

I would be too, but isn't it established that this is basically Gotham Central for TV? That's a pretty solid, established premise.

Sortakinda? We know it's a cop show starring Jim Gordon in a Gotham where Batman either doesn't yet exist or is still an urban legend. Granted, I think it's a solid premise, but that's not the problem. Part of the reason Gotham Central was so great is because Rucka and Brubaker had a story and a premise and pitched it to DC. It could have turned out quite differently if DC had said "Okay writers, we want a book about cops in Gotham City. Give us pitches".

I'm not saying it won't be a success but I do think stories tend to work better when they come from the writer rather than being mandated by executives. I do think there's potential there (and the showrunner has a solid track record) but I'm still on the fence.

My words could have been chosen more wisely. When I say "solid premise", I mean a baseline for characterization, theme, and rough plot arcs.

Last edited:

It's been said Batman doesn't exist at all because this will be Gordon as a young detective.

It's been said Batman doesn't exist at all because this will be Gordon as a young detective.

Press Release said:
In one of the biggest drama deals this season, after a bidding war, Fox has landed Gotham, from Warner Bros. TV and The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, with a series commitment. For Gotham, Warner Bros TV is mining one of DC Comics' most popular character universes, Batman. It explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains who made Gotham City famous. In Gotham, Gordon is still a detective with the Gotham City Police Department and has yet to meet Batman, who will not be part of the series.

All it says is that Gordon has "not yet to meet Batman". I think if anything, that would lean more towards Batman being around but not a friend of Gordon yet. I'm not saying that's the case. Honestly, I think the odds are even either way towards either early Batman or pre-Batman. But we don't know the continuity of this series yet. If it's similar to the Nolan series, where Gordon comforted Bruce at the site of his parents' death, then it will take place easily a decade before Bruce becomes Bats. If it's more similar to Year One, where Gordon is a fresh-faced detective newly arrived from Chicago, then it would be either directly before or shortly after Batman's appearance. Or it could fall anywhere between these two states. We simply don't know.

All it says is that Gordon has "not yet to meet Batman". I think if anything, that would lean more towards Batman being around but not a friend of Gordon yet. I'm not saying that's the case. Honestly, I think the odds are even either way towards either early Batman or pre-Batman. But we don't know the continuity of this series yet. If it's similar to the Nolan series, where Gordon comforted Bruce at the site of his parents' death, then it will take place easily a decade before Bruce becomes Bats. If it's more similar to Year One, where Gordon is a fresh-faced detective newly arrived from Chicago, then it would be either directly before or shortly after Batman's appearance. It could be a Gotham City where Gordon arrives in a Gotham City (or is recently promoted in a Gotham City) where Batman has been operating for some time but is still an urban legend. Or it could fall anywhere between these various states. We simply don't know.

I hope it's one of these. It would be pretty sweet to have a show in which Batman doesn't show up, but his presence is felt. (I think that was the premise of the original comic, wasn't it?)

I hope it's one of these. It would be pretty sweet to have a show in which Batman doesn't show up, but his presence is felt. (I think that was the premise of the original comic, wasn't it?)

Well, it's been stated more or less absolutely that Batman won't be showing up. Batman did have some brief run-ins with the Major Crimes Unit in Gotham Central, if I'm remembering correctly, but the focus was squarely on the cops. But bear in mind, this isn't being hyped by the people in charge as "Gotham Central: The Series".

I think any of the above permutations could make for compelling stories, though some more than others. But I'm more inclined towards a series where Batman exists but isn't explicitly present.

Every website article I have seen is referring to this as a "Batman show without Batman". While that is true, I feel that it is a sleight to the casual viewer, making it seem as if Batman is the only thing that makes Gotham interesting. SHIELD has similar issues. The tertiary characters that these series are centered around can provide storylines just as interesting if not more so than their big name counterparts. Instead of selling it as Batman without batman, sell it as a show set in the batman universe. The worldbuilding is already done for both this and SHIELD. All you have to do is market it correctly.

All it says is that Gordon has "not yet to meet Batman". I think if anything, that would lean more towards Batman being around but not a friend of Gordon yet. I'm not saying that's the case. Honestly, I think the odds are even either way towards either early Batman or pre-Batman. But we don't know the continuity of this series yet. If it's similar to the Nolan series, where Gordon comforted Bruce at the site of his parents' death, then it will take place easily a decade before Bruce becomes Bats. If it's more similar to Year One, where Gordon is a fresh-faced detective newly arrived from Chicago, then it would be either directly before or shortly after Batman's appearance. Or it could fall anywhere between these two states. We simply don't know.
Geez, Zombi. You didn't have to post this three times! GOSH!!

I really hope it's not pre-Batman, because I'm just not interested in that. I'm much more interested as it being with Batman as an urban legend or an influence on crimefighting, even if not working directly with the cops. And like I said, I'm totally fine with Batman not appearing at all under that premise.

Latest posts

Back