Gotham TV Series news

Re: Gotham Central TV Series?

I'm of two minds about this.

The first is that I don't want to see Smallville with bat-ears. I don't care about the extended origins of the character. It doesn't interest me, at all. To me at least, Batman isn't that interesting of a character in and of himself. He's interesting mostly as a vehicle for narrative in stories that are really about the interesting villains and ****ed up city of dude's mythology. I think this is part of the reason he has such a large extended family. He's not an especially expressive character with layered emotional depth. Again, that's just my personal stance, but it colors my lack of interest in a ten season origin story.

That being said, a series about how Gotham became the ****ed up place we know and love is an interesting premise. And making Thomas Wayne's death the catalyst for that decline strikes me as a far better origin for Batman than going the Smallville route. A story that features young Bruce as a major supporting cast member, that tells the story of why Gotham needs Batman rather than how Batman came to be, is a stellar basis for a series.

And let's be honest... If a show about Green Arrow, a show about Superman where Superman never actually becomes Superman, and a show about the no-name spy people hanging out at the periphery of the MCU can sell, a story about Batman's villains definitely can. Seriously, people love those guys.

Last edited:
I'm of two minds about this. The first is that I don't want to see Smallville with bat-ears. I don't care about the extended origins of the character. It doesn't interest me, at all. To me at least, Batman isn't that interesting of a character in and of himself. He's interesting mostly as a vehicle for narrative in stories that are really about the interesting villains and ****ed up city of dude's mythology. I think this is part of the reason he has such a large extended family. He's not an especially expressive character with layered emotional depth. Again, that's just my personal stance, but it colors my lack of interest in a ten season origin story. That being said, a series about how Gotham became the ****ed up place we know and love is an interesting premise. And making Thomas Wayne's death the catalyst for that decline strikes me as a far better origin for Batman than going the Smallville route. A story that features young Bruce as a major supporting cast member, that tells the story of why Gotham needs Batman rather than how Batman came to be, is a stellar basis for a series. And let's be honest... If a show about Green Arrow, a show about Superman where Superman never actually becomes Superman, and a show about the no-name spy people hanging out at the periphery of the MCU can sell, a story about Batman's villains definitely can. Seriously, people love those guys.

Very well said.

I'm still worried this will end up as a Smallville clone set in Gotham, but the fact it's on a different network will hopefully lead to a major differentiation from that show.

I heard that news earlier and was surprised. Figured Jim Gordon would look/be older than McKenzie appears.

Still, interesting casting.

Very well said.

I'm still worried this will end up as a Smallville clone set in Gotham, but the fact it's on a different network will hopefully lead to a major differentiation from that show.

It also has a showrunner from a very different class of television.

I hope this doesn't turn into the Bruce Wayne show. Ideally, let the first season focus prominently on Bruce as a major cast member, with the death of his parents and the custody battle with his mother's corrupt family the main thread running through it. Then, once you have an audience, send him off to boarding school, drop him into more of a guest role, and slowly ease him back in as the series progresses. That makes the show more about Gordon and it creates a distinct mythology for Bruce that's distinct from the typical version. Usually it's that Thomas and Martha's death gives birth to Batman and the villains are born out of a response to Batman. Instead, have a vision where the death of his parents breaks Bruce, sending him into a spiral of self-destructive adolescence. The villains and corruption of Gotham arise from the death of the city's two great altruists. And Bruce's journey is finding a sense of purpose in response to that societal backslide, inspired by Gordon's heroism.

Fox's GOTHAM Casts Four Including THE PENGUIN & ALFRED THR reports that four more actors have joined the cast, including a police captain, a love interest, a butler, and a villain. Robin Lord Taylor, Zabryna Guevara, Sean Pertwee, and Erin Richards come into Gotham with three out of the four characters being very recognizable names to comic book fans.

That actually notches up my interest in the show.

David Mazouz The Young Bruce Wayne And Selina Kyle Have Been Cast For Gotham

I wonder how future proofed this casting is? If Gotham keeps running for, say, eight or nine years, are these kids going to stick around? And if they do, will they even stay suitable?

Yeah, that's my concern. The sensible solution would be to have adolescent Bruce as a featured player for a season or three to hook audiences, then once the audience base is there and you can just focus on telling a Jim Gordon story, send Bruce off to boarding school abroad. Then you can recast for teen Bruce when he comes back later in the series.

;) Or you can just have him suffer a horrible accident and bring in a new actor under the pretext of major reconstructive surgery.

Last edited:

I should point out that isn't my thoughts, but the subtext from the article on the site's main page, which is what I always put in italics.

FOX DEBUTS "GOTHAM" SERIES OVERVIEW AND LOGO

GOTHAM-CAROUSEL-DESKTOP-carousel-1400x386-7c642.jpg

Robin Lord Taylor as Cobblepot looks great.

Robin Lord Taylor as Cobblepot looks great.

Agreed!

Plus, Gordon and Bulloch killing the alleged murderer of the Waynes is a pretty juicy little plot tease. I wonder if we'll be getting a conspiracy behind the Wayne murders.

Latest posts

Back