I dunno, I really had to pee about halfway through Planet Terror, but I wasn't missing anything.
Same thing for me, but during Death Proof.

See, I was about to piss my pants for most of Death Proof and I still didn't complain about the lengthy dialogue.

Exactly. I saw a segment on CNN's entertainment show about how "movies are just too darn long, a-durp!" in response to Grindhouse's poor box office. But the question of whether movies can be "too long" is an idiotic question. If it's a good movie, who cares how long it is? If you can't handle a movie that 3+ hours, then you must have a serious attention span problem.

As a die-hard LOTR fan I have to deal with this arguement frustratingly often. Does everyone have ****ing ADD or something?

Yeah, I love how the three and a half hour Return of the King really struggled to make its 300 million dollars.

Much, much more than that, actually. It's the second-highest grossing film of all time, right behind Titanic, another 3+ hourer.

Same thing for me, but during Death Proof.

See, I was about to piss my pants for most of Death Proof and I still didn't complain about the lengthy dialogue.

Did you get a soda?

I never have soda at the movies anymore, unless it's under two hours in length. Even then, I buy it from the store next door for 3 dollars less and sneak it in.

Now I know IMDB isn't always the most accurate for new movies, but look whats listed in Pre-Production for Robert Rodriguez HERE

Last edited:
Now I know IMDB isn't always the most accurate for new movies, but look whats listed in Pre-Production for Robert Rodriguez HERE

I heard about this before I saw Grindhouse, actually. Rodriguez said, if he did it, it'd be direct-to-DVD.

Of course, with the lackluster BO performance of Grindhouse, who knows if this'll get made. . .

Sad news : I don't think this is even going to make the Top 10 at all this weekend. :( (It dropped 70% in grosses from last Friday yesterday.)

D'oh!
People are so stupid, can't even recognixe the friggin' greatness that this move promise's

I'M GOING TO GO SEE IT ON THURSDAY!!!

I heard about this before I saw Grindhouse, actually. Rodriguez said, if he did it, it'd be direct-to-DVD.

Of course, with the lackluster BO performance of Grindhouse, who knows if this'll get made. . .

But it must be. It looks so happily cheesy!

I saw it tonight, finally, and I don't know what the **** is wrong with people. Our theater was a full house, and that made me hopeful this film would see the money it deserves.
No such luck, I guess.

The local theater here has already stopped showing them as a double feature. You can now decide which film you wanna see since they're showing them as 2 different movies.

Which I mean technically they are.....just......you know what I mean.

Is a theater even allowed to do that? Can they make such a decision without Weinstein apporval? And how do they split up the prevues?

That's lame.

Is a theater even allowed to do that? Can they make such a decision without Weinstein apporval? And how do they split up the prevues?

That's lame.

I'd imagine Machete would be shown with Planet Terror while Werewolf Women of the SS, Thanksgiving, and Don't (And Hobo with a Shotgun if you're in Canada) would be shown with Death Proof.

That's lame.

I have no clue.....but they're doing it. They have Planet Terror starting at 1pm...then Death Proof starting at 3pm....and Planet Terror again at 5pm...and so on.

FilmIck said:
What's Next For Grind House?

There's been a lot to-ing and fro-ing in the Weinstein camp over Grind House the last week or so. As everybody knows by now, the film was a massive flop - now playing to virtually empty houses less than two weeks before it went onto release. Pretty much straight off of the bat, word got around that the film was going to be split into two seperate features and rereleased. Geeks were not pleased.

And then, small voices started piping up. At various cinemas across the US, the film was either already being screened as two films, or as a double feature where an intermission replaced the fake trailers. Jo Blo reported on this, and did some investigating, coming to the unsurprising conclusion that these were test engagements, being used by the Weinsteins to plan a rerelease.

These tests flopped every bit as much as the initial plan, so it then broke that, actually, the split-release relaunch was nixed.

So what will be next for Grind House? I've been asking around, and this is what I've been told...

This Thursday, Death Proof is to be announced as part of this year's Cannes line-up. Some people are talking about the film's chances for awards, but there's not yet any indication it will be screening in competition. This version of the film will be the 'restored' version, with no missing reel and various other snips reinstated - expect it to run around eighteen minutes longer than the double-feature edit. And expect it to look gorgeous. And expect it to be received rapturously. A Grind House backlash backlash, maybe?

The Weinsteins know that Death Proof would have - and should have - done much better box office if released as a standalone 'New Tarantino Film' so (surprise, surprise) they're going to give that strategy a shot.

Riding on Cannes hype just a little, and with completely un-Grind House marketing, it seems that a scratch-free Death Proof will be arriving in the American multiplexes later this year. Not on a big scale, mind, but targeted carefully and, if everything goes to plan, in a very profitable fashion.

Planet Terror will next be seen on DVD. Despite a number of critics definitely preferring the run-and-gun fun of Rodriguez' installment to the typical Tarantino post-modern games, apparently the film just isn't being seen as worth the expense and effort to resuscitate.

I would suppose - and I'm just making an informed guess here - the big heap of DVD releases are likely to move out of the seasonal peak times, to avoid being lost amidst the more 'mainstream' releases. The Easter Weekend release can't be what killed the film stone dead in cinemas, not alone at least, but it has been blamed and that was probably enough.

:? Booo!

Im just glad I saw it in theaters while it was all wrapped up in one big happy package.

Latest posts

Back