When's it from?

Congrats on your 5000th post, by the way. You're an Icon now!

Whoo!

1979. It was released as a pseudo sequel to Dawn of the Dead in Italy. The Italians love their over the top zombie violence and gore. I need to get Zombi 3 which has some kind of Kung Fu Machete fight in it. A sort of precursor to todays fast zombies.

Well, I just saw this. Planet Terror was great. I didn't even know it was a Zombie film going in, and I love me my Zombies. It hit all the right notes for the old fashioned explotive Zombie flick (I reccomend Zombi 2 for anyone who wants to see more fun stuff like that).
I loved how much blood there was in Planet Terror. Even when some regular person gets shot in the shoulder, there's just this explosion of blood.
Now Death Proof. Not so much. It drug horribly for a while, and he killed the entire cast that we spent the first third of the movie getting to know, then had to restart the whole film. And god was the editing bad, not in a fun way like some of the PT kinks, but in a "this is really getting on my nerves" way. I'm starting to lose faith in Mr. Terrintino.
I still liked Death Proof better. The loooong buildup to the action just made it even more of a release when the movie really did pick up.
I still liked Death Proof, but I don't see how anyone can even compare it to Planet Terror in terms of quality.
I just think they're very different.

I like how Richard Roeper summed it up. I don't have the exact quote, but he essentially said that Planet Terror is sort of a parody/tribute to grindhouse movies. Death Proof is more of a reinvention. They're both great, but they're both going for completely different things. Rodriguez was looking for pure, unadulterated entertainment and Tarantino was looking to put his own spin on old conventions. And that's really what Tarantino does. As much as Kill Bill references and pays tribute to Tarantino's favorite movies, it also attempts to expand and deepen on those same themes. Death Proof is an attempt at the same thing.
Go get Zombi 2! Zombie Vrs Shark! And its done well. I don't think I could do it without CGI but these guys did.
Zombie VS Shark still sounds like the greatest thing ever.

I like how Richard Roeper summed it up. I don't have the exact quote, but he essentially said that Planet Terror is sort of a parody/tribute to grindhouse movies. Death Proof is more of a reinvention. They're both great, but they're both going for completely different things. Rodriguez was looking for pure, unadulterated entertainment and Tarantino was looking to put his own spin on old conventions. And that's really what Tarantino does. As much as Kill Bill references and pays tribute to Tarantino's favorite movies, it also attempts to expand and deepen on those same themes. Death Proof is an attempt at the same thing.

See now I felt that Death Proof was too much of a love letter to the Muscle Car and Badass Chick genres (Yes. They were genres.) than a strong film on its own. Having not seen enough of the films that inspired it probably hurt matters. I completely agree with the comments on Planet Terror. Thats exactly what it was. And it was extremely entertaining.

I've started to enjoy Rodriguez's output over Terrintino anymore. I think I'm going to watch From Dusk Till Dawn after this.

Bingo.

For reference---see "Faster *****cat! Kill! Kill!"

I just read a question on IMDB that may just kill this movie for me:

How does Cherry fire her leg gun without touching it?

AHHH! Curse you terrible conundrum, you shall haunt my mind forever!

You didn't think about that? That's the FIRST thing I thought of.

I just figured there was some sort of trigger mechanism in the stump-connection.

My wife will not even consider seeing this movie because of that very question.

The answer is: Who cares?! It's a machine gun leg!

Some ideas are so awesome they don't need to be explained.

There were four kids under six in the theater when I saw Grindhouse... The seemed shocked into silence for Planet Terror, and then cried through Grindhouse.

So... Has anybody heard the news?

Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein is planning to re-release Grindhouse as two separate films - after the double-bill flopped at the box office. The film, a double-feature directed by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez made just $11.6 million in its opening weekend in the US. Producer Weinstein is disappointed - and thinks Tarantino's Death Proof, starring Kurt Russell, and Rodriguez' Planet Terror, with Rose McGowan, will perform better on their own. He tells PageSix.com, "I don't think people understood what we were doing. The audience didn't get the idea that it is two movies for the price of one. I don't understand the math, but I want to accommodate the audience."

I'm pretty much pissed.

That was the very first thing I noticed. It made the concept better. I mean, where was the bullet-feed for the chain-gun leg in the last scene? It's all part of the awesomeness.

Also, you're completely right about the concept and execution of Death Proof. I shouldn't have said "quality" either when comparing it to Planet Terror. What I really mean is just the sheer enjoyment factor.

A friend of mine asked this, I quickly shut him up with my answer:

"Electrical impulses from the nerves in her leg, stupid."

"But how does that pull the trigger?"

"It's just science."

It reminds me of Roger Ebert's famous quote:

"A good movie can never be too long."
Exactly. I saw a segment on CNN's entertainment show about how "movies are just too darn long, a-durp!" in response to Grindhouse's poor box office. But the question of whether movies can be "too long" is an idiotic question. If it's a good movie, who cares how long it is? If you can't handle a movie that 3+ hours, then you must have a serious attention span problem.
"It's just science."
:lol:

Exactly. I saw a segment on CNN's entertainment show about how "movies are just too darn long, a-durp!" in response to Grindhouse's poor box office. But the question of whether movies can be "too long" is an idiotic question. If it's a good movie, who cares how long it is? If you can't handle a movie that 3+ hours, then you must have a serious attention span problem.

Yeah, I love how the three and a half hour Return of the King really struggled to make its 300 million dollars.

I dunno, I really had to pee about halfway through Planet Terror, but I wasn't missing anything.

Latest posts

Back