Halo 3 (Trailer/Discussion/etc.)

Hopefully (for your sake) there won't be as long a delay for Halo 3. I, however, won't have this problem, as I'll be the proud new owner of a 360 the first week of October, and Halo 3 will be the first game I pick up (hopefully they won't be sold out and hard to find locally).

**points at Hibiki and laughs mockingly**

**shakes fist** Jesus how did i miss this???

I played through the entire campaign with my brother today. It took about 8 hours on Normal. I plan to complete everything on Legendary soon enough.

Honestly, I was impressed; They tied up most of the lose ends and had a few twists that I really enjoyed. The gameplay is still Halo; You have more weapons now, but it's still about strafing, jumping and shooting. Everything felt more balanced than in the original Halo and nothing was quite as useless as many of the weapons in Halo 2. Everything was nice and refined. The graphics tended to range from A shinier Halo 2 to breathtaking realism. Sometimes you'll be blown away by how good the detail mapping is in both the game and the cut scenes (which look awesome and are in not prerendered).

The final playable sequence in the game is exciting and awesome, but once again, I found myself underwhelmed by the ending. I'm going to reserve my final judgment until I've played around a bit more with the multiplayer, but it's clearly one of the best games of the year.

I played through the entire campaign with my brother today. It took about 8 hours on Normal. I plan to complete everything on Legendary soon enough.

Honestly, I was impressed; They tied up most of the lose ends and had a few twists that I really enjoyed. The gameplay is still Halo; You have more weapons now, but it's still about strafing, jumping and shooting. Everything felt more balanced than in the original Halo and nothing was quite as useless as many of the weapons in Halo 2. Everything was nice and refined. The graphics tended to range from A shinier Halo 2 to breathtaking realism. Sometimes you'll be blown away by how good the detail mapping is in both the game and the cut scenes (which look awesome and are in not prerendered).

The final playable sequence in the game is exciting and awesome, but once again, I found myself underwhelmed by the ending. I'm going to reserve my final judgment until I've played around a bit more with the multiplayer, but it's clearly one of the best games of the year.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the graphics. Gears of War looks better, is a year old, and didn't have nearly the budget of Halo 3. Everything else, though, is spot on. It's the definitive Halo experience. Of course, if you didn't like Halo before, there's nothing here that's going to change your opinion.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the graphics. Gears of War looks better, is a year old, and didn't have nearly the budget of Halo 3. Everything else, though, is spot on. It's the definitive Halo experience. Of course, if you didn't like Halo before, there's nothing here that's going to change your opinion.

You have to admit, though, there are some parts that are visually stunning. Though I do concede that many of it seems like it was rehashed from Halo 2.

I finally got to play some Halo 3 today.

It's so much fun.

Plus, Sci-Fi just finished a half-hour special on Halo 3 "Sci vs Fi".

I watched my friends play it today. It looked cool and all, just wasn't my bag. The ending kinda blew in my opinion, but that's one chick's opinion.

I think most people misunderstood the ending...everyone's running around screaming that the Chief dies, not really understanding what happened. The series game with him "waking up" and it ended with him going "back to sleep". At least that's how I understood it. I think that if there wasn't a bit of a cliffhanger, it wouldn't feel like Halo.

So last week I picked up an Xbox 360. I also picked up Halo 1 & 2, and played through both. Finally, on Tuesday, I picked up Halo 3 and played through it that day. Took about 8 hours, but it didn't seem like it (which is a good thing...the game kept me so enthralled that I didn't even notice the time). Overall, this one gets a 4/5.

I think most people misunderstood the ending...everyone's running around screaming that the Chief dies, not really understanding what happened. The series game with him "waking up" and it ended with him going "back to sleep". At least that's how I understood it. I think that if there wasn't a bit of a cliffhanger, it wouldn't feel like Halo.

You hit it spot on, Wade. I think it ended perfectly. It also left an open ending for future sequels (you know there will be more Halo games, besides the upcoming Halo Wars). Keep in mind the title screen for the last board was "Full Circle". I think that fits given the ending (as you described).

*contains big spoilers*

Just beat it this morning. My problem is that the game seemed so much shorter than Halo 2, which was this huge, sweeping, epic adventure. This was more like a follow-up. I dunno. I guess part of it was that the only two locales in the whole game are New Mombasa and the Ark, unlike Halo 2 where you had the MAC gun station, New Mombasa, the hanging cable station on Alpha Halo, several different climate zones on Delta Halo, the whole journey to the Library and fighting your way through the civil war on High Charity.

The (pre-credits)ending too was very underwhelming. Not only did we not get to see a big, drawn out sequence of the Gravemind being incinerated and screaming as his plans go to ruin, which should've been the entire focus of the ending as it was basically the whole point of the game, but we didn't even get to see the new(Omega?) Halo detonate or the portal itself close. We have to learn about it after the fact in dialogue? Blah. The post-credits ending sort of saved the whole thing.

Also, it sucked to see the Arbiter's role so downplayed so much. I loved his story in the last game, and he's pretty much the series best, most developed character.

Still, the gameplay, graphics and new equipment system made up for almost every flaw. I'd give this a 9.25/10, as opposed to Halo 2's perfect 10 in every field.

Also, it sucked to see the Arbiter's role so downplayed so much. I loved his story in the last game, and he's pretty much the series best, most developed character.

It's because people complained that, in Halo 2, there wasn't enough Master Chief (Even though you alternated every, single level with him). So, they made the Arbiter take a back seat and put the Chief in the limelight again.

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with Planet-man. Halo 2 had what was way to close to a rehashing of the first Halo's story. A lot less hapened...the only development in the entire game was what they showed you about the covenant Civil War and heiarchy.

"Oh what, we're fighting the exact same fight on another Halo? You know what we should do? Over heat the generators on our ship, or whatever, and blow it up!"

Of course, Halo 3 didn't have any cutscenes as badass as when the chief "Gives the covenant back their bomb" and was a bit shorter, but as a whole, I liked the story better. And the ending was a bit underwhelming (though you get a bit more once you've finished it on Legendary).

Of course, Halo 3 didn't have any cutscenes as badass as when the chief "Gives the covenant back their bomb" and was a bit shorter, but as a whole, I liked the story better. And the ending was a bit underwhelming (though you get a bit more once you've finished it on Legendary).

You mean
Chief landing on the Marathon planet?

I really hope that's what it is. Because that would be awesome! And then we can get
the Marathon Trilogy remade!

If it ever
is remade, I really hope they update it a little to fit in with the Halo story a bit more. While the originals were good (for their time, anyway) the story could clearly have something to do with Halo, but it doesn't fit in very nicely. I'm hoping for an updated story along with the gameplay.

I avoided this thread because of plot spoilers until I beat the game on Normal today. Now there's nothing to discuss for people who haven't beaten it on Legendary. Oh, bizarre fate.

In other news, the equipment system is really awesome, but there's one item that I think would have been the crowning jewel of the lot: a UNSC Personal Flight Apparatus prototype.

Take that in. Would that not have fapped all over the map in multiplayer? I envision that it would.

Last edited:
You mean
Chief landing on the Marathon planet?

Just so its clear, the guys at Bungie stated officially that the planet at the end of Halo 3 is in no way related to Marathon. According to them they're two completely separate universes.

Has anyone played the Multi-player board Sandtrap? I ask because its the only place to find the Elephant, the UNSC's answer to the Covenant's Scarab tank. This thing is awesomely huge, two turrets, with a hanger that continually respawns Mongoose ATVs. You can even fit a Warthog on the back section, so you have turrets protecting you 360 degrees. Its very nice.

Has anyone played the Multi-player board Sandtrap? I ask because its the only place to find the Elephant, the UNSC's answer to the Covenant's Scarab tank. This thing is awesomely huge, two turrets, with a hanger that continually respawns Mongoose ATVs. You can even fit a Warthog on the back section, so you have turrets protecting you 360 degrees. Its very nice.

Using the UNSC Elephant during a big game of Team Slayer is ridiculously fun. I had a match once where we had both of them active and dueling each other, with an entire team crammed into each one.

Also, there's rumoured to be a funny message if you actually manage to flip one somehow. This is hard to confirm because I don't know anyone who it's happened to.

Latest posts

Back