Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I saw it the other night. I thought it was good. But I'm waiting for part 2 before I express my real feelings about this lastest film.

I really liked it. Not perfect, of course, but they absolutely NAILED the character building and atmosphere, and those were the most important bits, and anyways it's faithful for the most part.

It was mostly very boring with a few really good, really intense scenes mixed in. Looked beautiful, though. I can't wait to see what David Yates does after he's done with this franchise.

the movie wasn't bad. for a Harry Potter film it was GREAT. all the major plot points where there, including the comings and goings of charters.

only thing was, i wished they had stayed more to the book during the wedding. other than that no major problems with the movie.

Last edited:
Awful. I keep defending myself from getting my balls busted seeing these films (The last one I was actually on the Philly local news for opening night after a girl I hooked up with begged me to see it with her and they interviewed me). But I can't this one sucked the previous one sucked. I think the one prior to that I liked but I don't understand the appeal of this franchise or mythology. I'm going to read the books (I guess, even if it kills me) to see if that's where it's at. But the movies are huge flop considering the hype and I've given all of them a chance. Seriously??? What is this?

Awful. I keep defending myself from getting my balls busted seeing these films (The last one I was actually on the Philly local news for opening night after a girl I hooked up with begged me to see it with her and they interviewed me). But I can't this one sucked the previous one sucked. I think the one prior to that I liked but I don't understand the appeal of this franchise or mythology. I'm going to read the books (I guess, even if it kills me) to see if that's where it's at. But the movies are huge flop considering the hype and I've given all of them a chance. Seriously??? What is this?

I feel much the same way, Harry Potter is good but doesn't appeal to me, If I never see another movie I'd be perfectly fine. But everyone around me is crazy about. What I hate most, are the people who constantly say
"You have to read the books"
To which I respond, "I don't particularly care for it"
"No you have to read them"
"I don't even like to read books"
"No you HAVE to read them"

Five minutes more of this they're lying in a pool of blood with their face beaten in and me standing over them yelling, "I DON'T ****ING LIKE HARRY POTTER, I WILL NEVER READ THOSE ****ING BOOKS CAUSE I DON'T GIVE ONE ****ING **** ABOUT THE WHOLE THING SO SHUT THE **** UP!"

Last edited:
I think it would be almost impossible to appreciate what makes the movies so vastly popular and enjoyable without having read the books. As stand-alone films even I(who live and breath Harry Potter) think they'd only be decent, if strange and unique.

masterpiece

....is it bad that I remember the words to the original......i feel old.

Last edited:
My rankings, after seeing the new movie:

1. HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN A
2. HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE A-
3. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 1 B+
4. HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX B
5. HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE B-
6. HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE C+
7. HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS C

My rankings, after seeing the new movie:

1. HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN A
2. HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE A-
3. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 1 B+
4. HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX B
5. HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE B-
6. HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE C+
7. HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS C

Which was the one where Dumbledore and Voldermort faced off at the end? I think it was Beatrice's first movie. That was the one I liked best.

It's possible Chamber of Secrets is my favorite. I think the whole run from Chamber to Goblet are really terrific, with Order being a step down and Prince being the nadir of the series (though I've only seen it once so far). Hallows is somewhere below the top 3 but above the last two movies.

I think Hallows part 1 is the weakest film in the series so far, due to a straightforward combination of it being a) an adaptation of the least enjoyable part of any of the books(so hopefully part 2 will be better) and b) the general weaknesses that cropped up when Yates took over.

Films one through four were far stronger, for a lot of reasons I didn't start to appreciate until the last few years. Four is probably my favourite, three's has the best overall showmanship and the first has become underrated. It really set the tone.

What really bugs me is how much less focus there's been on music in the Yates films. He's completely phased out all the themes Williams wrote, which you could argue was the right move in a few cases to show maturity, but he hasn't replaced them with anything as good to mature into(let alone brought Williams back to write anything new). I listen to stuff like this and this and it makes me remember how much more powerful the series could be at this point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back