Hawkeye: Human, Mutant, technology?

Is Hawkeye a . . . .

• Human, who is really good at what he does

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • A near-mutant/mutant whose ability helps improve his shot

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • SHIELD Technology (weather it be targets in the eyes or a 'grafted' suit)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Magic (the guys from Iowa, maybe ancient Native American spiritual stuff)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even though I've been half-*** defending OSC, I'm not sold on this miniseries either. It is slow and the bad science is pretty lame. Bad science is acceptable in superhero comic books -- maybe necessary in some ways -- but it would be better if it fit the UU's pre-established framework of bad science.

I feel some of OSC's core concepts aren't that bad, but the way they are realized are (i.e. monkey bites a woman which makes her give birth to a kid with excessive brain matter and the ability to regrow body parts (for Tony Stark? Huh?)).

However, I will be checking out the second miniseries. I want to see what he does once he's finished his origin story and moved onto early tales of Tony as Iron Man (which I'm assuming the second one will be, correct?).

He could do some fun stuff. For example, Tony originally being a bit naïve -- overly trusting and altruistic -- which results in his 'Irontech' secrets falling into the wrong hands with disastrous results. That could lead to a showdown with Ultimate Titanium Man and Stark developing his huge mistrust of others when it comes to the technologies he's developed, as well as taking on his playboy attitude as something of a defense mechanism.

Last edited:
icemastertron said:
So...Hawkeye....

Who is he again? :p
Well he doesnt have a brain growing through his body, we know that much.........OR does he..........????

zone86 said:
Well he doesnt have a brain growing through his body, we know that much.........OR does he..........????
Well, it seems likely that his brains are not found entirely in his skull either these days.

Last edited:
Hawkeye101 said:
Okay, so I read everything you all put down after explaining my points. And you all seem to be most upset by the continuity of it all. Okay, fine. That seems to be your only problem? Some of you are even beginning to admit the idea OSC has isn't bad it just doensn't fit in continuity. Sure, fine again.
OK along with everyone else I'd like to point out that no one has said "the idea wasn't that bad", except 14rb, but he doesn't count, it was, is, and will always be STUPID. Got that? :lol:

Pandrio said:
OK along with everyone else I'd like to point out that no one has said "the idea wasn't that bad", except 14rb, but he doesn't count, it was, is, and will always be STUPID. Got that? :lol:
Exactly.

Besides those of us who hate the Ultimate Iron Man treatment have never made that much of a deal of whether or not it fits into continuity. The idea is already STUPID to begin with. Whether or not it fits into continuity is an entirely moot issue.

Pandrio said:
Errr...I did...

14rdb said:
Even though I've been half-*** defending OSC, I'm not sold on this miniseries either. It is slow and the bad science is pretty lame. Bad science is acceptable in superhero comic books -- maybe necessary in some ways -- but it would be better if it fit the UU's pre-established framework of bad science.

I feel some of OSC's core concepts aren't that bad, but the way they are realized are (i.e. monkey bites a woman which makes her give birth to a kid with excessive brain matter and the ability to regrow body parts (for Tony Stark? Huh?)).

Agree completely.

However, I will be checking out the second miniseries. I want to see what he does once he's finished his origin story and moved onto early tales of Tony as Iron Man (which I'm assuming the second one will be, correct?).

Also agree. I hope to God the second mini picks up a little and has the potential to be much better than the first, I just hope he doesn't drop the ball with the second as well.

He could do some fun stuff. For example, Tony originally being a bit naïve -- overly trusting and altruistic -- which results in his 'Irontech' secrets falling into the wrong hands with disastrous results. That could lead to a showdown with Ultimate Titanium Man and Stark developing his huge mistrust of others when it comes to the technologies he's developed, as well as taking on his playboy attitude as something of a defense mechanism.

Or better yet, Ultimate Iron Monger, since Stane has already been introduced it could be his son. Good points on all counts though.

Well, it seems likely that his brains are not found entirely in his skull either these days.

ZING!!! Good one... :)

ourchair said:
Exactly.

Besides those of us who hate the Ultimate Iron Man treatment have never made that much of a deal of whether or not it fits into continuity. The idea is already STUPID to begin with. Whether or not it fits into continuity is an entirely moot issue.

To you, not to me. Being a completist and linear thinker, it VERY MUCH matters to me if it both fits into continuity and is included in the timeline. And yes the idea is STUPID beyond belief, but I'm hoping it might redeem itself a little with the second mini. Probably hoping for no reason, but still...

DIrishB said:
To you, not to me. Being a completist and linear thinker, it VERY MUCH matters to me if it both fits into continuity and is included in the timeline. And yes the idea is STUPID beyond belief, but I'm hoping it might redeem itself a little with the second mini. Probably hoping for no reason, but still...
Dude, the only reason I was telling Pandrio that continuity doesn't matter was not because I don't care about continuity or that you or anyone else shouldn't care about continuity.

The point is that its all about looking for reasons to dismiss bad comic book stories. If Ultimate Iron Man is already bad, then I don't even want to talk about whether its in continuity or not. The continuity debate for the UIM-haters is already a moot issue, IMO.

It's kind of like how Starbucks serves bad coffee so I ALREADY hate it. Whether or not its an evil conglomerate with questionable labor practices is a moot issue.

Of course, the mileage of my argument depends entirely on whether you value continuity over quality or vice versa (and no, I don't think one can say 'they're equally valuable for me'). For me, it's quality first, continuity second. Both are important, but once the quality slides, the issue of continuity is defaulted.

Last edited:
ourchair said:
Dude, the only reason I was telling Pandrio that continuity doesn't matter was not because I don't care about continuity or that you or anyone else shouldn't care about continuity.

I know, all I was doing was pointing out it was important to me.

The point is that its all about looking for reasons to dismiss bad comic book stories. If Ultimate Iron Man is already bad, then I don't even want to talk about whether its in continuity or not. The continuity debate for the UIM-haters is already a moot issue, IMO.

I understand what you mean, but thats like dismissing the UMTU issues just cuz you don't like it or something. Its up to your personal preference, and you're more than welcome to do so, I was just (again) pointing out my comletist and continuity dependant view of comics.

Of course, the mileage of my argument depends entirely on whether you value continuity over quality or vice versa (and no, I don't think one can say 'they're equally valuable for me'). For me, it's quality first, continuity second. Both are important, but once the quality slides, the issue of continuity is defaulted.

This I agree with, but as I've also said I don't think one negates the other. In fact I believe one reinforces the other. Sure past continuity can limit an author in some ways, but if they're actually worth their salt than they should be able to craft a story which fits in said continuity and is still a decent and fun read.

It's kind of like how Starbucks serves bad coffee so I ALREADY hate it. Whether or not its an evil conglomerate with questionable labor practices is a moot issue.

Though that does add fuel to the fire...besides the ridiculously over-priced coffee. Its sad when a gallon of gas is still cheaper than a 16 oz cup of coffee (and gas is now averaging about $3.00 a gallon over here in the States).

Last edited:
We've gone from Hawkeye's status to Ultimate Iron Man speculation to Starbuck's labor practices...

This needs to get back on topic, stat.

Latest posts

Back