Hellblazer series discussion *Spoilers*

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
Does anybody else read this? I'm sure one of you do. I started picking this up cause I loved the movie. But I see now that the movie didn't do it justice. I started with the "Down With Where The Dead Men Go" arc. But I just picked up the "Staring At The Wall" trade. Mike Carey writes this book very well. I love how every other word is **** or sodding.

Bred In The Bone (#187-188 )

I liked how it jumps around to different people point of view. I felt sorry for those kids. But it was extremey creepy.

B+

Staring At The Wall (#189-193)

This freakin rocked. I loved the demon in this. I liked how he tricked John into setting him free. I love how much of a bastard Constantine is. I liked the cameo of Swamp Thing and how they saved the world. This was one of the best.

A

Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go (#207-212)
My first arc I read. I enjoyed this. The humor was great. I liked the tour threw hell. Where John crashed the party was priceless.

A-

The Gift (#213)
Shows how John became to bastard he is. His gift for making people do what he wants. A great issue.

A-

R.S.V.P. (#214-215)
Carey's last issues. I loved Constantine's speech to all the others.

B+

Last edited:
The new issue with the new writer weren't bad. It was kinda hard to follow. But I liked it. I'm interested to see where it's ending.

B-

Last edited:
Hellblazer is one of those books I keep meaning to jump onto but never do. I've got trades untill Mike Carrey took over, and was thinking about hopping on with the new writter and just forgot. :(

I do love Constantine though. We need to get BKV to do a run on it. His John was the only redeemable part of his Swamp Thing series.

I've always wanted to get into Hellblazer, and I saw that #230 had a new writer coming on, Andy Diggle, so I picked it up.

It was pretty ****ing good, it was.

I love Constantine's dialogue. It's perfect.

I have no idea who the other characters are though. Are they from previous arcs, or are they all new guys?

I want a Constantine TV series. It would be great.

I'm gonna have to track down the Mike Carey issues, aren't I? Which ones did he do?

I was thinking of getting this when Diggle took over.

The only issues of the series I've read were about year's worth of Paul "Uncollected" Jenkins' stuff with Sean Phillips. I remember liking it well enough, but haven't read it since. That was probably almost ten years ago.

I was thinking of getting this when Diggle took over.

The only issues of the series I've read were about year's worth of Paul "Uncollected" Jenkins' stuff with Sean Phillips. I remember liking it well enough, but haven't read it since. That was probably almost ten years ago.

That was with Sean Phillips? Man, now I really wish it was collected.

I was unsure of what to buy at the lcs the other day, so I started looking at the Hellblazer trades, but there are ton of them and they don't seem to be in any clearly ordered number, so I didn't know where to start.

I got Global Frequency Vol. 2 instead.

Original Sins (1-9) (Delanco)
The Devil You Know (10-13, Annual, The Horrist 1-2) (Not released until May) (Delanco)
Rare Cuts (11, 25-26, 35, 56, 84) (Delanco, Morrison, Ennis)
Dangerous Habits (41-46) (Ennis)
Fear and Loathing (62-67) (Ennis)
Tainted Love (68-71) (Ennis)
Damnation's Flame (72-77) (Ennis)
Rake at the Gates of Hell (78-83, Heartland One-Shot) (Ennis)
Son of Man (129-133) (Ennis)
Haunted (134-139) (Ellis)
Setting Sun (140-143) (Ellis)
Hard Time (146-150) (Azzarello)
Good Intentions (151-156) (Azzarello)
Freezes Over (157-163) (Azzarello)
Highwater (164-174) (Azzarello)

I would start here since I only read a few of the older ones...

Red Sepulchre (175-180) (Carey)
Black Flowers (181-186) (Carey)
Staring at the Wall (187-193) (Carey)
Stations of the Cross (194-200) (Carey)
Reasons to be Cheerful (201-206) (Carey) (not released until April)
All His Engines (OGN) (Carey)

I've only read the Azzarello trades, but I really enjoyed them. :D

I read Hardtime and Highwater, that I got at Philly last year. They were good.

I have the very first one and than these ones. I need to get the first two Carey ones.

Staring at the Wall (187-193) (Carey)
Stations of the Cross (194-200) (Carey)
Reasons to be Cheerful (201-206) (Carey) (not released until April)
All His Engines (OGN) (Carey)

I have everything after issue 206 in singles.

All I've got is Dangerous Habits and Original Sins, but despite how incredibly good these books were, I haven't been able to really get into Hellblazer. I know I should, but it feels like a huge investment to get into.

I've only read the Azzarello trades, but I really enjoyed them. :D

I hated the art on the first trade. After that it was good, but a little weird, but I did really like the Boar/Hillbilly arc.

I think I'd recommend the Ennis run myself. Its quite good, and shows John as a more vulnerable person. You see just how hard all of this is on him instead of all the bravado. Ellis's short run was good too. The singles collection was better than the arc though.

So two issues into Andy Diggle and I'm really enjoying it. It seems like he's about to take the character into a new direction instead of just dooing the standard "his past bites him on the ***" story.

And he sent a girl to the afterlife.
Shame it was Hell.

So two issues into Andy Diggle and I'm really enjoying it. It seems like he's about to take the character into a new direction instead of just dooing the standard "his past bites him on the ***" story.

And he sent a girl to the afterlife.
Shame it was Hell.

That two issue arc was so good. Especially after the last ****ty 12 issues.

I have great hopes for Diggle and John.

Latest posts

Back