High Def and HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray

HDDVD or Blu-Ray - which do you prefer?

• HDDVD

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Blu-Ray

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
Interesting developments in the last week. Apple is expected to announce that their computers will be shipping with Blu Ray support, and Warner Bros. announced plans to go Blu Ray exclusive later this year.

The WB head said it was because that's what customers are moving toward, even though HDDVD players are outselling Blu Ray players something like 3:1 not counting the PS3.

I think Blu Ray might get the win here.

But the thing is, BR-DVDs outsell HD 3:1 and out rental by 4:1.

With everyone but NBC/Universal and Microsoft going Blu-Ray, I can't see HD surviving.

But the thing is, BR-DVDs outsell HD 3:1 and out rental by 4:1.

With everyone but NBC/Universal and Microsoft going Blu-Ray, I can't see HD surviving.

I hadn't seen or heard that - do you have link?

Ouch.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/hd-dvd-group-cancels-ces-press-conference-in-wake-of-warner-anno/

We just got an email which stated that the HD DVD group is canceling its CES press conference; tail severely between legs over today's explosive news that Warner -- the last "undecided" studio -- was going to the other side and doing Blu-ray discs exclusively. We're not sure if that's because the HD DVD group was in 11th hour negotiations with Warner or what, but the mood at that camp has to be beyond somber right now, so it's pretty hard to thump the tub when you've just been dealt a hard losing hand.

I hadn't seen or heard that - do you have link?

Sadly no, I caught it on G4 the other day, and all the links i can find are from like last February where it was BR over HD by 2:1.

So WB won't be doing regular DVDs either?

I'm really curious to what's going to happen with Appleseed: Ex Machina, WB is the US distributor. Last year they announce it was going to be SD and HD-DVD only. Has that changed now, will there be a BD version?

Last edited:
Either way, a clear winner means the new generation is going to be replacing DVDs on the market sooner, and guys like me get screwed.

It was one thing to save up for a simple DVD player and get a million new features. It's a whole different ball game to have to get a new player AND a whole television and possibly HD box just for a slightly better picture that we would've gotten along fine without anyway.

*sigh*..... ****.

Either way, a clear winner means the new generation is going to be replacing DVDs on the market sooner, and guys like me get screwed.

It was one thing to save up for a simple DVD player and get a million new features. It's a whole different ball game to have to get a new player AND a whole television and possibly HD box just for a slightly better picture that we would've gotten along fine without anyway.

*sigh*..... ****.

You do realize that in a year, you're going to have to have a Digital/HD tv, just to watch TV right?

Aaaaand I just realized why Microsoft is so vehemently behind HD-DVD, the menu/navigation system in HD is MS's proprietary HDi.

Sony and the Blu-Ray Association voted to go with a Java menu/navigation system (probably due to Microsoft's draconian control scheme).

Proprietary media formats offend me.

Seriously.

This is like creating ballpoint pens that can only write on certain paper (or writing surfaces that can only be written on with certain ballpoint pens).

*sigh*..... ****.

I also echo this sentiment.
I could care less about a better 'picture.' A movie or a good show should draw me in regardless of whether or not I can see every pimple on the actor's face.

Last edited:
I also echo this sentiment.
I could care less about a better 'picture.' A movie or a good show should draw me in regardless of whether or not I can see every pimple on the actor's face.

Y'know what amuses me, I was working for MediaPlay (Sam Goody's) during the VHS to DVD shift in 1999/2000, and I remember people saying the exact same thing.

Y'know, god forbid technology evolve, cus y'know radios were just fine, people don't need picture boxes, television takes away the imagination.

Y'know what amuses me, I was working for MediaPlay (Sam Goody's) during the VHS to DVD shift in 1999/2000, and I remember people saying the exact same thing.

Y'know, god forbid technology evolve, cus y'know radios were just fine, people don't need picture boxes, television takes away the imagination.
The real problem I have is just the price. So much.

When I was at Circuit City, for example, looking for the Ocean's 3-pack, the regular DVD set is around $27. Blu-Ray an HD? $100 with tax.

No. No, no, no.

I wouldn't mind getting either HD or BR, but I'm not paying so much for DVDs.

I wouldn't mind getting either HD or BR, but I'm not paying so much for DVDs.

the price will drop look at dvds , when first came out you were looking at £20-£30 for 1 single disc film , now you can pick up a 2 disc dvd for like £10 (some still cost £15-20 but that's two dic and when they first come out

by this time in 2010 blueray and HD dvd of that box set you mentioned will be like $50-60

the price will drop look at dvds , when first came out you were looking at £20-£30 for 1 single disc film , now you can pick up a 2 disc dvd for like £10 (some still cost £15-20 but that's two dic and when they first come out

by this time in 2010 blueray and HD dvd of that box set you mentioned will be like $50-60
Really, Mole? Wow, I would have neeeeever guessed that. :)

Guess this is stuff I didn't already know (but I did. :wink:).

Last edited:

Exactly.

Again, heard this argument before with DVDs.

Exactly.

Again, heard this argument before with DVDs.
I'm not giving an argument, per se.

I really don't care which kind wins or whatever. I just care about having a movie. But prices gets in the way, and of course in due time the price will lower. Of course this has been gone through with other kinds before, but that doesn't mean I have to shell out my money just because of that.

I'm not giving an argument, per se.

I really don't care which kind wins or whatever. I just care about having a movie. But prices gets in the way, and of course in due time the price will lower. Of course this has been gone through with other kinds before, but that doesn't mean I have to shell out my money just because of that.

I wasn't saying you had to buy it because but merely wait , the price will drop , THEN buy them , I waited with dvds till i had a ps2 and dvds had dropped in price then to be what I was use to paying for vhs.

Buy dvds for now , it's not like when you get a dvd you watch it and think "damn this looks poor"

Today I watched a bluray version of Spider-man 3 at my friends , he has a nice plasma screen , big too , however when I watched it I thought "ok it's a little brighter than my dvd but that's it"

same thing when I watch HD TV or HD DVD the picture isn't that big of a jump for me to care , I have a hdtv but I don't get hd Satellite , Why? I don't see the point.

VHS to DVD was very noticeable , But when people say hoe great hd dvd or bluray is I keep thinking they've convinced themselves it's much much better when in fact the difference is as much as the difference as sega mega drive (genesis) and the 32x that's to say not much.

Latest posts

Back