High Def and HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray

HDDVD or Blu-Ray - which do you prefer?

• HDDVD

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Blu-Ray

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
Aaaaand I just realized why Microsoft is so vehemently behind HD-DVD, the menu/navigation system in HD is MS's proprietary HDi.

Sony and the Blu-Ray Association voted to go with a Java menu/navigation system (probably due to Microsoft's draconian control scheme).

Interesting.

On one hand I want Sony to fail because they often make products (UMD, Minidisc) and put such stringent control over them that it makes it impossible for companies or people to adapt.

But on the other hand, the last thing ANYONE needs is Microsoft having any control over any standards.

Interesting.

On one hand I want Sony to fail because they often make products (UMD, Minidisc) and put such stringent control over them that it makes it impossible for companies or people to adapt.

But on the other hand, the last thing ANYONE needs is Microsoft having any control over any standards.

I liked the UMD and MiniDisc, fortunately they learned their lesson with DRMs.

skotti-chan said:
Aaaaand I just realized why Microsoft is so vehemently behind HD-DVD, the menu/navigation system in HD is MS's proprietary HDi.

Sony and the Blu-Ray Association voted to go with a Java menu/navigation system (probably due to Microsoft's draconian control scheme).

*Vomits*

I liked the UMD and MiniDisc, fortunately they learned their lesson with DRMs.

UMD sucks - Minidiscs were great but they were so restrictive that the licensing never took off.

UMD sucks - Minidiscs were great but they were so restrictive that the licensing never took off.

Before I had my iPod, I had an awesome MiniDisc walkman. I used that thing to death. Sadly, I could never get blank discs (the walkman could burn discs).

Before I had my iPod, I had an awesome MiniDisc walkman. I used that thing to death. Sadly, I could never get blank discs (the walkman could burn discs).

Yeah, I have a Minidisc player. I have a few prerecorded albums on Minidisc...a couple Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Aerosmith (all Sony acts). I made a ton of compilation discs and had a few discs for recording audio notes - worked great for that.

What was really nice was that my stereo had an optical out and I had a record player, so I was able to record vinyl records in pretty good quality.

Hmmm...I need to buy a new TV.

Not cause of the cable deal, I just won't get cable, just cause I hate lugging my TV around when I move from place to place.

So, new TV, new couches, new bedframe and I want to buy a house next year.

Should be fun.

Thank you. I could have sworn that it was the opposite but obviously not - maybe that was the case long ago?

BTW - Toys R Us is running a buy one get one free sale on Blu Ray movies. I'm heading over after work.

A local high end electronics store it having a 3 for 1 sale on BR-DVDs. I spent $100 for 12 movies.

Yesterday at Toys R Us I picked up Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Ratatouille, Cars, and Open Season which I hope to exchange for Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Not bad.

UC Store has some Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies for 50% off.

I just picked up Big Fish for $14.99 on Blu-Ray.

Either way, a clear winner means the new generation is going to be replacing DVDs on the market sooner, and guys like me get screwed.

It was one thing to save up for a simple DVD player and get a million new features. It's a whole different ball game to have to get a new player AND a whole television and possibly HD box just for a slightly better picture that we would've gotten along fine without anyway.

*sigh*..... ****.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Planet-Man for this one.

When DVD's came about, they offered more than just a better picture and clearer sound. They offered a chance to skip scenes easily, special features, and deleted scenes. The only thing we are getting from a Blu-Ray or a HD-DVD is more memory per disc, and a slightly clearer picture only if you have the correct equipment, which runs you alot more. For a DVD, you only needed the player, for these new discs, you need more than just a player to get a better quality picture.

When DVD's came about, they offered more than just a better picture and clearer sound. They offered a chance to skip scenes easily, special features, and deleted scenes. The only thing we are getting from a Blu-Ray or a HD-DVD is more memory per disc, and a slightly clearer picture only if you have the correct equipment, which runs you alot more. For a DVD, you only needed the player, for these new discs, you need more than just a player to get a better quality picture.

Blu-Ray also offers new interaction between content and user that DVDs can't.

They're scratch-proof too, which is nice for certain awesome people with 5 year olds and 2 year olds.

I totally forgot to mention it, but I went to my other aunt and uncle's house to babysit and watched "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" on their little HD tv. Looking at the screen up close, I could see that the picture was pretty clear, and that my inability to notice this may have actually been because of my crappy eyesight and refusal to wear my glasses. However, I still don't think it's worth throwing out my tv and replacing all my DVDs.

I agree with Houde.

And from what I've seen, the interactive new features that Blu-Ray offers are just stupid factoids and **** that pop up on the screen during movies, which I would think would just ruin a good movie with lots of distracting, unnecessary information.

Blu-Ray also offers new interaction between content and user that DVDs can't.

Such...as?

They're scratch-proof too, which is nice for certain awesome people with 5 year olds and 2 year olds.

You know what would do the same and NOT cost $600 and a huge pain in the ***? Higher shelves.

It still surprises me that you of all people are so pro-immeadiate-generation-conversion. People can't afford this stuff and it sucks to have the industry force them into it.

Such...as?

BD Live for one , It allows you to get ringtones of your movies sent to your phone , get games for the movie and "Portable copy" meaning a copy of a movie for the PS3 will be included on a Blu-ray disc

Also MySpace is meant to be big with BD Live in the future , it allows you to chat with friends , some games featured on the dis e.g a trivia game are online so you can play with friends

You can store interactivity and retrieve it again, or create custom trailers for friends. You can download new trailers or other new features for the disc which should eliminate stuff like Special editions that make you want to buy the same film again.

and a lot more , you can not do that with a dvd at all , Just with stuff like the games and creating trailers for friends it is so damn interactive that jump from dvd to Blu-ray is as big if not bigger than the jump from Laser disc to dvd

Such...as?

You know what would do the same and NOT cost $600 and a huge pain in the ***? Higher shelves.

It still surprises me that you of all people are so pro-immeadiate-generation-conversion. People can't afford this stuff and it sucks to have the industry force them into it.

The industry isn't forcing you to do a *******ed thing. They are not coming to your house, taking your DVDs/VHS tapes, and forcing you to buy. This is how consumer electronics work, it's been this way for the past 100 years. From 78's, to 33 1/3 LPs, to reel/reel tapes, to 8-tracks, to cassettes, to CDs, to MP3s. Electronics evolve more quickly than any other sector, and it has nothing to do with you.

I swear to god, you sound like all the old people my mom deals with. If you don't want to change, then don't. This is most likely the last evolution of physical media anyway (with the remote possibility of HVD). So skip it, go straight to online content, it's building as we speak.

Most importantly, where are you pulling this $600 figure out of? They've been dropping in price steadily since last September, you can find $300 BR-DVD players pretty easily. They will continue to drop in price, just like any other tech. I'm old enough to remember when my uncle bought a CD component for his stereo in 1983, it cost him about $1500, and the CD's were about $30 a piece. The first PC i bought was in 1991, it cost me $4500 for a 386 DX66 with, 1MB of Ram, two floppies, a 256MB HDD and a massive 9600 baud modem. If people more people had a similar mindset, we'd probably JUST be getting CD's.

Face it, we and out technology evolve quickly. If that's too scary for you, stay in your house and seal the windows and doors with plastic and duct tape.

Latest posts

Back