High Def and HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray

HDDVD or Blu-Ray - which do you prefer?

• HDDVD

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Blu-Ray

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
It still surprises me that you of all people are so pro-immeadiate-generation-conversion. People can't afford this stuff and it sucks to have the industry force them into it.

Wah.

ETA: What Skotti said.

I'm all for the advancement of technology, I just don't see why HD or Blu-Ray are such incredible, mind-blowing technological leaps forward. It just strikes me as some companies deciding that they can bilk people out of their money by convincing them that having a clearer picture is worth replacing all their dvds and buying a bunch of new crap or else they're going to be old and lame and behind the times.

I'm all for the advancement of technology, I just don't see why HD or Blu-Ray are such incredible, mind-blowing technological leaps forward. It just strikes me as some companies deciding that they can bilk people out of their money by convincing them that having a clearer picture is worth replacing all their dvds and buying a bunch of new crap or else they're going to be old and lame and behind the times.

As seeing every single bloody HD/BR-DVD player on the market also plays AND upscales your standard DVDs you don't need to replace ****. Christ, it's like a old folks' home here. You, as the consumer have ALL of the power. If you don't want to do this effectively DVD 1.5 and wait for DVD 2.0 or digital media 1.5, then wait. It's wonderful you do. I have zero intent on replacing my DVD collection with BR-DVD, they work just fine in my PS3. The only thing I had to replace was my Blade Runner box (because the discs had come loose in transit, and Sam's Club gave me a great deal on getting the BR version).

So, I'll repeat, you don't have to buy a *******ed thing. If you want to hold on to your Pentium 1's and cassette walkmen, that's your thing.

It just strikes me as some companies deciding that they can bilk people out of their money by convincing them that having a clearer picture is worth replacing all their dvds

It's just a clearer picture though like I mentioned on previous page. And skotti is right you don't have to buy anything.

I think Planet-Man's point is you very well may have to buy BR eventually. No one knows when Digital Distribution is going to take off, seeing as there isn't a reliable service for it yet and the quality isn't as good as BR yet.

Since it's pretty clear Blu-Ray has won the format war, it's possible, likely not soon, that companies might start releasing new content exclusively on Blu-Ray. . .skipping DVD entirely. Now, we might get lucky and an affordable, quality DD service may be available by then, but we just don't know.

So, sure, you don't have to replace anything, at least not until DD takes off, but you might be missing out on new stuff. It all depends on how hard these companies want to push Blu-Ray. And that's bad for consumers. You'll buy your Blu-Ray player and then a couple of years later (And by a couple, I mean two or three), you'll have to start using a DD service. Which is an incredibly short amount of time to switch formats.

Last edited:
I think Planet-Man's point is you very well may have to buy BR eventually. No one knows when Digital Distribution is going to take off, seeing as there isn't a reliable service for it yet and the quality isn't as good as BR yet.

Since it's pretty clear Blu-Ray has won the format war, it's possible, likely not soon, that companies might start releasing new content exclusively on Blu-Ray. . .skipping DVD entirely. Now, we might get lucky and an affordable, quality DD service may be available by then, but we just don't know.

So, sure, you don't have to replace anything, at least not until DD takes off, but you might be missing out on new stuff. It all depends on how hard these companies want to push Blu-Ray.

With Hi Def DVDs of both flavors, combining to make up around 10% of the market, it won't be anytime soon. Those of you old enough, this is the exact same as when DVDs beat VCDs for the new market, the players and media were both prohibitively expensive. After a couple short years, you could start getting DVD players for less than $200, around 5 years after the introduction of the format (2002). Most places were still selling VHS well up to 2004, and by then DVDs were around the price of a VHS. Same will happen here.

With Hi Def DVDs of both flavors, combining to make up around 10% of the market, it won't be anytime soon. Those of you old enough, this is the exact same as when DVDs beat VCDs for the new market, the players and media were both prohibitively expensive. After a couple short years, you could start getting DVD players for less than $200, around 5 years after the introduction of the format (2002). Most places were still selling VHS well up to 2004, and by then DVDs were around the price of a VHS. Same will happen here.

Well, that's all fine and good, but my point was that Blu-Ray will likely be the dominant hard format in five years. Of course, by that time, it's likely either HVD or, far more likely, Digital Distribution, will really be taking off. What then? Do we dump Blu-Ray after just adopting it and switch again to HVD or DD? With DVD and VCD, there wasn't a new format beyond them on the horizon. With HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, there is something else on the horizon.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see pure digital distribution ever completely replacing people's desire to actually own copies of a film. Electronic storage of media is too ephemeral for many.

I do think that DD will probably replace/drive rental places out of business, but I don't forsee everyone all of a sudden okay with the lack of reliability having the information on a professionally-produced storage medium.

What Skotti is saying - and I totally agree with - is what difference does it make? All your life you've lived with evolving technology; why is it a problem now? Do you guys want me to convert UC to a mailing list? That's a great idea - any replies just write them out on paper and send it to me Pony Express, and I'll write a reply and send it to the next person. You should get a reply in about 60 years.

What difference does it make if it's Blu-Ray or digital downloads or whatever?

What Skotti is saying - and I totally agree with - is what difference does it make? All your life you've lived with evolving technology; why is it a problem now? Do you guys want me to convert UC to a mailing list? That's a great idea - any replies just write them out on paper and send it to me Pony Express, and I'll write a reply and send it to the next person. You should get a reply in about 60 years.

What I was trying to imply was that Blu-Ray, to me, seems like it's not that big of a technological leap.

I'm all for evolving technology. Just this technology seems, to me, very commercialized, if that makes any sense to you. To use this tech, you need this thing, and that thing, and that thing, plus this to make it sound and look it's best.

To me, someone who is trying to actually save money in this very commercialized world we find ourselves in right now, it's too much. But like Skotti said, DVD's will still be produced and marketable for a long time, so I'll stick with them right now.

I'm also someone who doesn't like Cable TV, not because of the tech, but because of the price. I guess you can say I'm looking at this through a very economical hole, not a technological one.

Last edited:
To use this tech, you need this thing, and that thing, and that thing, plus this to make it sound and look it's best.

Like when people wanted dvd players they had to get a tv with a scart socket on the back to get best picture and lot of old tv's did not so people ended up upgrading their Tv's

As seeing every single bloody HD/BR-DVD player on the market also plays AND upscales your standard DVDs you don't need to replace ****. Christ, it's like a old folks' home here. You, as the consumer have ALL of the power. If you don't want to do this effectively DVD 1.5 and wait for DVD 2.0 or digital media 1.5, then wait. It's wonderful you do. I have zero intent on replacing my DVD collection with BR-DVD, they work just fine in my PS3. The only thing I had to replace was my Blade Runner box (because the discs had come loose in transit, and Sam's Club gave me a great deal on getting the BR version).

So, I'll repeat, you don't have to buy a *******ed thing. If you want to hold on to your Pentium 1's and cassette walkmen, that's your thing.
I was mistaken then. If you can convert your old DVDs, then that's fine. I just don't think it's worth the trouble at this point. Technology does naturally evolve, but I suppose I just don't see anything that incredible in Blu-Ray or HDDVD and they just seem like making up new formats just for the sake of making up new formats.

And no offense, but you're being really condescending. I'm not stupid so don't talk to me like I am.

Oh jesus, grow a pair. I'm telling you, don't buy it if you don't want it.

There was in truth VERY little difference between VHS and the early DVDs (as they used the same transcoding). So like I've said far too many times, I've had to deal with this arguement before, don't buy it if it doesn't fit your needs. Most importantly, by the time Blu-Ray replaces SD-DVD's players and media, they'll cost the same as SD costs now.

Would you guys be happier if tech just stopped evolving? I mean, seriously, maybe we should roll back to pre-broadband days.

Fine, technology evolves in pointlessly small increments because Sony says so. I get it.

I'm sorry that I'm not as accepting of all this brilliant new technology as you are. I guess I just can't overcome my feeble, technologically inept mind. I apologize, and will now go commit seppuku with the sharp edge of this broken DVD.

Oh jesus, grow a pair. I'm telling you, don't buy it if you don't want it.

There was in truth VERY little difference between VHS and the early DVDs (as they used the same transcoding). So like I've said far too many times, I've had to deal with this arguement before, don't buy it if it doesn't fit your needs. Most importantly, by the time Blu-Ray replaces SD-DVD's players and media, they'll cost the same as SD costs now.

Would you guys be happier if tech just stopped evolving? I mean, seriously, maybe we should roll back to pre-broadband days.

8) new quote.

I honestly don't see pure digital distribution ever completely replacing people's desire to actually own copies of a film. Electronic storage of media is too ephemeral for many.

I used to have the same thinking, but look at what happened with MP3s and CDs. MP3s have nearly destroyed the CD market. Sure, people still buy CDs, but far, far more people download their songs. The same thing will happen with movies.

It has nothing to do with evolving technology and everything to do with this:

What I was trying to imply was that Blu-Ray, to me, seems like it's not that big of a technological leap.

I'm all for evolving technology. Just this technology seems, to me, very commercialized, if that makes any sense to you. To use this tech, you need this thing, and that thing, and that thing, plus this to make it sound and look it's best.

I guess you can say I'm looking at this through a very economical hole, not a technological one.

Technology SHOULD evolve, but Blu-Ray just isn't enough of a leap technologically or economically. Digital Distribution may not be much of a leap in technology either, but it has that "On Demand" aspect. You don't have to leave the comfort of your couch to get what you want.

Again, you're looking at it the wrong way. We should see meaningful leaps in technology, not small pushes every couple of years. It's not worth it to keep up with unless you're a technophile. And, while I enjoy new technology, I want it to have impact before I make the switch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back