HDDVD or Blu-Ray - which do you prefer?

• HDDVD

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Blu-Ray

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

E

Excelsior Club
I bought an HD DVD player today and it came with a few movies. I'm hedging my bets that if there is a "winner" in the HDDVD vs. Blu-Ray war, HDDVD will come out on top.

Which do you prefer (or I guess a better question is which to you hope emerges as the "winner") and why?

Does anyone have one of the HDDVD/Blu-Ray hybrid players or can tell me about them?

I am also considering buying a high-def TV for Christmas and was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions. I'm not looking to spend 3 grand, but I do think I want an LCD TV. But it's open to suggestion.

I bought an HD DVD player today and it came with a few movies. I'm hedging my bets that if there is a "winner" in the HDDVD vs. Blu-Ray war, HDDVD will come out on top.

Which do you prefer (or I guess a better question is which to you hope emerges as the "winner") and why?

Does anyone have one of the HDDVD/Blu-Ray hybrid players or can tell me about them?

I am also considering buying a high-def TV for Christmas and was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions. I'm not looking to spend 3 grand, but I do think I want an LCD TV. But it's open to suggestion.
I can't really say which is better in quality, HD DVD or Blu-Ray, but I can say that the odds are in favor for HD DVD in the HD war and the reason is simple: the name. Even if you not consider that Blu-Ray sounds like a pop-band from the 80's the name HD DVD sounds more trustworthy since we subconscious draws parallels to the already established DVD format.

Never tried any hybrid players but from what I have heard they suck compared to players that support only one format. This will change in the future but for now it stands.

When it comes to HD TVs I recently bought a 32" LCD from LG (32LC51) that I'm more than happy with.

Last edited:
I have hundreds of DVDs and am not looking to switch any time soon, especially since there's no way of being sure which of the two products will actually last.

Also, we'd have to get a high-def TV just to be able to use the thing, and there's no chance of that happening any time soon.

I don't think I've ever actually seen either HDDVD or Blu-Ray in motion, but I have watched Hi-Def television and and can see that the conversion will be worth it when the time comes. In the meantime I think they may have tried to mass-market all this a little bit too soon.

My roommate uses his PS3 for Blu-Ray, it looks pretty good but I haven't been able to compare. However, I would place my bet on HD-DVD as the next thing.

Booo.

I've seen Blu-Ray and HD at electronics stores and I can honestly say that they look no better than a regular DVD. It's at least not a dramatic enough difference to make it seem like anything that incredible.

Stupid companies trying to make people waste their money on pointless new formats.

That's it, I'm done with DVD.

betamax-sl-7200-1976.jpg

That's right.

BetaMax mother****ers.

I can't really say which is better in quality, HD DVD or Blu-Ray, but I can say that the odds are in favor for HD DVD in the HD war and the reason is simple: the name. Even if you not consider that Blu-Ray sounds like a pop-band from the 80's the name HD DVD sounds more trustworthy since we subconscious draws parallels to the already established DVD format.

Never tried any hybrid players but from what I have heard they suck compared to players that support only one format. This will change in the future but for now it stands.

When it comes to HD TVs I recently bought a 32" LCD from LG (32LC51) that I'm more than happy with.

Another LCD...that's what I've been looking at and hopefully I will find one that's not too much money.

Interesting developments in the last week. Apple is expected to announce that their computers will be shipping with Blu Ray support, and Warner Bros. announced plans to go Blu Ray exclusive later this year.

The WB head said it was because that's what customers are moving toward, even though HDDVD players are outselling Blu Ray players something like 3:1 not counting the PS3.

I think Blu Ray might get the win here.

I think Blu Ray might get the win here.

Bluray already has the win IMo as it has so much more exclusive companies working for it. HD dvd is almost dead

Bluray already has the win IMo as it has so much more exclusive companies working for it.

Doesn't matter. Nobody is buying Blu Ray players and one of the executives in the Blu Ray consortium all but announced that they screwed up and should have done things differently (i.e. working with HDDVD instead of against).

It doesn't matter who is behind it if no one is buying it.

Doesn't matter. Nobody is buying Blu Ray players and one of the executives in the Blu Ray consortium all but announced that they screwed up and should have done things differently (i.e. working with HDDVD instead of against).

It doesn't matter who is behind it if no one is buying it.

Ah but people have bough those ps3's and others are wanting price drop so there IS a lot of bluray play players sold in way thank to people buying ps3's for some reason

Ah but people have bough those ps3's and others are wanting price drop so there IS a lot of bluray play players sold in way thank to people buying ps3's for some reason

Difference being that the PS3 owners aren't really buying Blu Ray movies. I don't remember where I read that.

And game console buyers are a faaaaaaar different market from video player.

Difference being that the PS3 owners aren't really buying Blu Ray movies. I don't remember where I read that.

And game console buyers are a faaaaaaar different market from video player.

true I get what your saying , I was just saying say 20 , 000 ps3's have been sold then 20 , 0000 blu ray players have been sold , like a few people i know did not buy dvds till they got a ps2

but we'll wait and see

I am 100% SURE, that I've posted in this thread, but apparently not...

I love DVDs. Quality doesn't bother me. What I like about them is that they're compact and you get to select which scene you want to watch and you get to select subtitles. Also, a lot of the time, there's special features available. All that HD-DVDs/Blurays have is that they have ''better quality''. People talk about there being more space in Blurays, but so far, I haven't seen anything extra.

Last edited:
For the price, DVD will own the market for at least another five years. The quality isn't a clear enough jump to switch to the more expensive HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray. Not to mention shelling out a minimum of 400 dollars for a player.

Honestly, what I think is going to happen is a new, unified, clearly superior format is going to emerge in the next five years, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will fall off the map, and this new format will slowly replace DVD, similar to the way DVD replaced VHS.

Honestly, what I think is going to happen is a new, unified, clearly superior format is going to emerge in the next five years, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will fall off the map, and this new format will slowly replace DVD, similar to the way DVD replaced VHS.

Although I'd be happy if DVD dominated the market forevermore; if this happened, I'd be pleased.

I'm waiting for when I have the tv for the blu-ray before I start buying them. It wouldn't hurt to come down in price a little.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back