Hobgoblin Primer

Friday

Well, since we've got the Ultimate HobGoblin just over the horizion I though we should take a look back, so I found an article series by J.R. Fettinger on just what happened with the 616 incarnation of Hobby, where it got screwed up, and why he coulda been a contender.

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/SquanderedLegacy/SquanderedLegacyTitle.html

Now let's hope that the best bits are pulled and that the rest is just dropped. A proper Ultimitzation.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, either. Bendis tends to like to build things up first; that's why we consistantly have five-six issue arcs all of the time.

title of reply

Goodwill said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that, either. Bendis tends to like to build things up first; that's why we consistantly have five-six issue arcs all of the time.

what you are saying is true...but i really dont expect to see the story progress without the antagonist at least making a cameo during the issue.

I really want there to be a mystery here. The only real problem I've had with Ultimate Spider-man so far is that villian wise we've been coddled a bit. Pretty much everything laid out and with some extremly final endings, not allowing for retuns. I mean face it, we're not seeing Ultimate Doc Ock, The Lizard, or even Norman Osborn again soon. Short of Venom, The Kingpin, and Black Cat most of them were run though. I'd like to see a little more long term action out of someone, and with The Hobgoblins 616 past he'd be a perfect choice.

I think you're partially right, Baxter. I do want to see some long term villainy here; I don't want Hob thrown away by arc's end... That's writing the title and the characters that are most interesting to read about (The villains) into a corner. There needs to be more to them than just an attempt at revenge gone awry.

Also, about the mystery, I don't think the time's right for one of those... The story, as I am concerned, is already pretty straightforward through thet solicitations. We shall see, though, it's not like I haven't been surprised before.

Goodwill said:
I think you're partially right, Baxter. I do want to see some long term villainy here; I don't want Hob thrown away by arc's end... That's writing the title and the characters that are most interesting to read about (The villains) into a corner. There needs to be more to them than just an attempt at revenge gone awry.

We already have the Green Goblin for long term villainy... I think it'd mean so much more if Harry was the Hobgoblin and died by arcs end...

Goodwill said:
Also, about the mystery, I don't think the time's right for one of those... The story, as I am concerned, is already pretty straightforward through thet solicitations. We shall see, though, it's not like I haven't been surprised before.

Agreed

But the Green Goblin is frozen, in a SHEILD facility, that I'm sure has even tighter security than the Triskelion does anymore. They don't want him getting out and it'll be near impossible for a breakout to occur. The only character taht would be more than likely able to get him out would be Venom or Carnage, and they've got no connection to osborn to want him out. Anything doen in that respect would be just bad writting.

Baxter said:
But the Green Goblin is frozen, in a SHEILD facility, that I'm sure has even tighter security than the Triskelion does anymore. They don't want him getting out and it'll be near impossible for a breakout to occur.

Except for stuff like Ultimate Six. He wasn't too securely confined, even if he wasn't free. So...I wouldn't write him off entirely just yet but I agree that SHIELD should keep control of him. I just wouldn't be so certain it will happen.

The solicits seem to me that Hobgoblin is going to die. But I just hope this story deserves to be told. Bring back the good Ultimate Spidey!

Caduceus said:
Except for stuff like Ultimate Six. He wasn't too securely confined, even if he wasn't free. So...I wouldn't write him off entirely just yet but I agree that SHIELD should keep control of him. I just wouldn't be so certain it will happen.

The events of Ultimate Six are exactly why I think that he's under such an increased level of security now, even in a frozen state. The man's more dangerous politicaly than Magneto for gods sake.

It wouldn't be too hard to bring The Green Goblin back (eventually, not soon). We don't know everything that Osborn was working on, or everything that he knew. It could come the time when SHIELD is forced with the decision to de-freeze Osborn to get information. Some kind of serious threat could arise, and they could discover or realise that Osborn's the only one with information who could help them. I'm not going to try and write the story here, but that's not too implausible. That would get him out of the cryogenic suspension thing, and that makes it easier to write him escaping.

Bludd_Rush said:
It wouldn't be too hard to bring The Green Goblin back (eventually, not soon). We don't know everything that Osborn was working on, or everything that he knew. It could come the time when SHIELD is forced with the decision to de-freeze Osborn to get information. Some kind of serious threat could arise, and they could discover or realise that Osborn's the only one with information who could help them. I'm not going to try and write the story here, but that's not too implausible. That would get him out of the cryogenic suspension thing, and that makes it easier to write him escaping.

Some kind of serious threat? You mean like his son going all goblin on everyone?

Nah something big time. The Ultimates didn't step in for the Original Goblin, only normal SHIELD agents. So why on earth would they send them in for Hobgoblin, especially when they are in the middle of their Thor-Related crisis.

Caduceus said:
Nah something big time. The Ultimates didn't step in for the Original Goblin, only normal SHIELD agents. So why on earth would they send them in for Hobgoblin, especially when they are in the middle of their Thor-Related crisis.

I'm not a chronology expert are they in the middle of their Thor crisis? and after the damage one Goblin has done, two would be kinda scary.

I think they really should be involved, though... Afterall, Harry SHOULD be holding grudges against the Ultimates, too. To blame only Spider-Man would be a stunt...

Yep... And, really, if he's out for revenge he should go for Iron Man. Spider-Man really had little to do with that.

Latest posts

Back