Holy Terror by Frank Miller

Re: Batman vs Al Qaeda - By Frank Miller

I want to read this.

I don't know what I'm expecting. But it's one of those things that just because it has Batman punching out bin Laden (you KNOW that's a splash page near the end).

I'm not sure if I want to see Batman fighting people, or just 2D stereotypes of Muslim terrorists. One part of me wants to be able to read a Miller book that's so controversial because he refuses to pull a single punch no matter if you agree or disagree with him.

I am so reading this.

I really really really don't understand what the big deal would be about Al Qaeda vs. Batman.

Some people say it's politically correct, some say it's not right to mix the real world with the tights fantasy of superheroes. However, the idea that pop arts like comics should assume 'neutral' stances is complete baloney.

If comic creators want to do it, then comics should be allowed to reflect whatever the hell America feels, wrong or right, and to hell with whether or not it might seem short-sighted or wrong-headed later.

Maybe twenty years down the line it might be 'wrong' to have featured Bin Laden against Batman, but you know what, that's PERFECTLY OKAY, because those were the times and nobody needs to explain that.

Back in our parents' time, we had Fu Manchu stereotype Asian warlords and Communist super-apes. And most importantly, our grandparents grew up in a world where Captain America's FIRST appearance had him punching HITLER on the cover.

I really really really don't understand what the big deal would be about Al Qaeda vs. Batman.

Some people say it's politically correct, some say it's not right to mix the real world with the tights fantasy of superheroes. However, the idea that pop arts like comics should assume 'neutral' stances is complete baloney.

If comic creators want to do it, then comics should be allowed to reflect whatever the hell America feels, wrong or right, and to hell with whether or not it might seem short-sighted or wrong-headed later.

Maybe twenty years down the line it might be 'wrong' to have featured Bin Laden against Batman, but you know what, that's PERFECTLY OKAY, because those were the times and nobody needs to explain that.

Back in our parents' time, we had Fu Manchu stereotype Asian warlords and Communist super-apes. And most importantly, our grandparents grew up in a world where Captain America's FIRST appearance had him punching HITLER on the cover.

I agree with everything.

Is DC dragging it's feet on All-Star Batman as well? ;)

Last edited:

I'd heard it was cancelled, then a few days later covers for #5, 6, 7 appeared on Newsarama by Lee, so I guess its still happening.

That's race now. Who will finish their horribly delayed series first----Miller's AS Batman....or Lindelof's Ultimate Hulk Vs Wolverine? :lol:

I hope Ultimate Wolverine vs, Hulk never comes out. It's more fun to complain about the delays than to read the comics.

Whereas with All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder it's more fun to complain about reading the lousy book than about its delays. Because no one's looking forward to it. Because it sucks.

I'm still waiting on the end of Sonic Disruptors. . .

I really think it's a dumb idea, not to mention he's badmouthing cap.

Hitler was a monster. An absolute basket-case crackpot. He was the bad guy. America was the good guy. There was just no question about it.

Now, I am not for one second saying that Al-Qaeda are not evil men, but America can't be seen as the righter of all wrongs in this war the way they were in WWII. It's not black & white like it once was.

Here's hoping that Batman kicks the **** out of Bin Laden, but then comes back to america and takes down the government officials who gave them the guns and weapons and money back in the Cold War.

I want to see Political Miller here, but not Right Wing Crazy Miller, but The Old Lefty who created Nuke as a criticism of Vietnamese War Policy.

And the situation behind Al Qaeda runs deeper than people realize.

Comic book named "Holy Terror, Batman!".

Al Qaeda comes to Gotham, Batman kicks butt.

~200 pages.
Because it's about 200 pages, it's fair enough that it didn't come out in 2001. September is late in the year, after all. 2002 would have been the right time for it to come out.

Last edited:

WHAAAAAAT?!
Obviously Frank Miller can only bring out comics in future, he can't bring them out in the past. (Except within comics, through the magic of retroactive continuity.)

But, if you want to do something equivalent to Captain America punching Hitler in the face, then waiting till 2007 or 2008 to disrespect Osama in comics is a bit like waiting till 1947 or 1948 to disrespect Hitler.

Captain America went in sale in 1940, a year before Pearl Harbor, and the first issue had Captain America on the cover punching Adolph on the jaw.

That was timely. Actually it was Timely Comics, that was the company. That was bold and gutsy. It meant Cap really stood for something. Nobody today is up to that standard.

Obviously Frank Miller can only bring out comics in future, he can't bring them out in the past. (Except within comics, through the magic of retroactive continuity.)

But, if you want to do something equivalent to Captain America punching Hitler in the face, then waiting till 2007 or 2008 to disrespect Osama in comics is a bit like waiting till 1947 or 1948 to disrespect Hitler.

Captain America went in sale in 1940, a year before Pearl Harbor, and the first issue had Captain America on the cover punching Adolph on the jaw.

That was timely. Actually it was Timely Comics, that was the company. That was bold and gutsy. It meant Cap really stood for something. Nobody today is up to that standard.

My opinion of you just went from "Another malfunctioning robot?" to "Whoa."

Captain America: Punching Hitler before it was cool!

Okay, good, you're cool now. I thought you were just bringing back an old thread with some freaky bizarre comment that doesn't make sense. Actually, you kinda did, but you actually redeemed yourself. Good job, David.

I can't believe a series whose very title is a joke, could have much relevance at all anyway, though.

My opinion of you just went from "Another malfunctioning robot?" to "Whoa."

Totally.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back