Houde's Ultimate Baby Advice Thread

I did it out of love and affection to show that I am 100% committed to ruining her life. And she deserves a person that makes a stupid promise like that. I think we all do.

Marriage is beautiful. It can be anything but beautiful, but if its done right and both the husband and the wife can be selfless enough to put the other person first, it should be the greatest thing ever. I don't believe its just a social contract, it's a covenant between two people, before God (you disagree, I know) to be absolutely committed to one another forever, no matter what else happens. Our society has screwed it up so that now (as you say) it's only a social contract where they promise to be absolutely committed to each other forever, no matter what happens, but they really only mean as long as it is convenient and they feel like it. That kind of marriage is vile - and if that's the way you think about it then I agree, why bother? But marriage, the way its intended to be is amazing.

Why do you need marriage to love someone and put their needs before your own? And for that matter, why should it matter to God, who in all His infinite glory, can identify love and commitment without an official contract being in place?

Let's be honest. The premise of state or church officiated weddings are fairly recent. If I remember correctly, it wasn't until the Protestant revolution that an officiated ceremony became canon. Until then, marriage was either a political contract (in the case of royal/noble/merchant families) or a state less than common law marriage wherein the agreement of co-habitation was essentially the one requirement for marriage. And we all know the diamond ring didn't become a thing until DeBeer's decided it wanted to sell more diamonds.

It just strikes me that all this romance about the ritual behind marriage is largely manufactured. We retroactively place this rich history of "what marriage means" when the historical evidence isn't really there.

To me, the origins of marriage seem far more pragmatic. It's a contract that insures dude gets laid and lady gets taken care of, in a time where woman barely had rights and where virginity was one of the few points of leverage they had in society. That's what marriage is intended to be. We might shower it with all sorts of romantic notions and these might be true in the case of the people who believe them, but I don't think marriage is necessary at all to having those things like mutual sacrifice and devotion in a relationship.

The fact that so many more marriages are falling apart than ever before doesn't strike me as a decline in moral and ethical behavior. It's just the natural repercussion of marriage no longer being a necessity in life. It means women aren't nearly so reliant on marriage as a means to safeguard their livelihood. It means the stigma of divorce isn't so great that couples are stuck in unhappy or abusive relationships out of fear of being ostracized. It strikes me as evidence that this backwards and puritan notion that all (or even most) people are hard-wired to pursue a singular and staid relationship is a false notion that has long been enforced by shame-based social propaganda.

Last edited:
The sad part for me is, I hate dealing with any of this, and I have become 95% comfortable changing diapers (up from 0%). i still can't really deal with boogers, and Jen bought one that looks like a pen connected to a suction tube. The only standing between you and sucking up boogers is a fine piece of sponge. Also vomit...I cannot stand the site of vomit. it's like watching food spoil as it spews.

houde, I can rummage through some of Jett's old stuff and send them your way. I'll ask for an address once Jen can collect me some things. I'll get you a nice 1yr old hoodie I saw at target.

Don't feel like you have too J. Agamemmon.

Or next to corn ballers.

Arrested Development +1

While I have no doubt they have opinions about babies, I don't believe I've ever seen evidence they know anything about them or there care thereof.

I'm just trying to get them to post. I managed to get both Seldes and Eroz to post in this thread, I'm going for a hat trick here.

Sexynurse's feet have swollen over the past couple of weeks. They are worried about preeclampsia, but there is no protein in her urine. She did a 24 hour collection yesterday to today, and now they are testing that and will get back to her.

If she does have it, she will get admitted, and then we shall see from there.

This is what I was worried about most. Something happening to her.

No. She has gained complete water weight in the last week, and we are going back in tomorrow, and we think she's getting admitted.

They are worried about her kidneys failing.

She has been admitted, they were going to induce, and found the baby's head ready to go and already 3 cm dilated.

I am currently in the hospital, in her room, and confined to a lazy boy chair.

Details in San diego.

If it has tentacles, you're going to want to pull it out immediately.

I will raise our future Cthulhu overlord with love and passion it deserves.

When it eats me when it reaches maturity, I will make sure that I am a nurturing meal for it to consume.

Congrats and I hope the lilHoude and SexyNurse are doing well.

Latest posts

Back