How many members here are Christians?

There are many "types" of "Christians", and many of them don't consider other types to truly be "Christians".

I would bet that if asked, most people would consider themselves Christians, whether they adhere to or practice a specific religion, grew up in a church, or closely follow the teachings of Christ.
To quote the esteemed Mr. Webster: Christian, n. 1) a person who believes in Jesus Christ as the Messiah or Son of God; an adherent of Christianity. 2. a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ.

This, of course, offers a lot of leeway, and includes people who practice any of the many demoninations of Christianity, even those who don't attend formal services.

I honestly don't understand people who believe that their religious practices embody the only "true" form of Christianity, and that everyone else is hopeless. If the two main drives in Christianity are supposed to be to love God and love one another, why do we spend so much time creating divisions?

Oh, and I'm a long-time practicing Roman Catholic. Even if I do think our upper-level leadership is still living in the Dark Ages in some respects.... but that's a sore subject, and one best left alone for now.

I have a few additional comments to make on the Christianity in comics topic, but I'll have to wait until I get home to post those.

Oh, and I'm a long-time practicing Roman Catholic. Even if I do think our upper-level leadership is still living in the Dark Ages in some respects.... but that's a sore subject, and one best left alone for now.

NONSENSE! If you ever decide to make a Roman Catholic thread, Seldes, I have quite a bit to say. :D

I definately exemplify the teachings of Christ even though I don't believe he was the son of God. I'm so nice, though.

And humble.

I still want to petition Alan Moore to do that book about the life of Jesus that Alex Ross said was his dream project.

If Alan Moore and Alex Ross did the story of Jesus, I'm absolutely sure that they'd have to officially replace the Gospels with it in all copies of the New Testament. And honestly, what would make the Bible more entertaining than a 300-page comic book story in the middle of it?

I honestly don't understand people who believe that their religious practices embody the only "true" form of Christianity, and that everyone else is hopeless. If the two main drives in Christianity are supposed to be to love God and love one another, why do we spend so much time creating divisions?

Because those aren't necessarily the "main drives" of some sects. For some, loving God and loving one another are parts of Christianity that stem from whatever their main drives are. Fundamentalists are examples of this.

In turn, they take issue with the teaching that Christianity is about loving one another. Not that doing so isn't important, but rather doing so is what makes one a Christian.

I still want to petition Alan Moore to do that book about the life of Jesus that Alex Ross said was his dream project.

If Alan Moore and Alex Ross did the story of Jesus, I'm absolutely sure that they'd have to officially replace the Gospels with it in all copies of the New Testament. And honestly, what would make the Bible more entertaining than a 300-page comic book story in the middle of it?

This would absolutely, flat-out be one of the best things ever published.

I'm not Christian, I don't believe Jesus was the magical son of God(no more so than any other person), but I do hold him, as a person, in infinitely high regard, the exact same way I do with Mr. Rogers.

Dude, one page of the bible would be like 300 hundred pages. Think of all the volumes... :drooling:

What I find facinating is when die hard, blind faith Christians take what is written in the Bible completely literally. In my eyes, and I think most people, the Bible is a book of metaphor, written to give examples on how people should live, not a factual discription of Jesus doing magic tricks, and worlds being created in 6 days.

What I find facinating is when die hard, blind faith Christians take what is written in the Bible completely literally. In my eyes, and I think most people, the Bible is a book of metaphor, written to give examples on how people should live, not a factual discription of Jesus doing magic tricks, and worlds being created in 6 days.

Yep. It's always insanely frustrating to me.

I agree with this, specially when they made fun of it on South Park. I believe Pope John Paul even said that evolution is true, there's no fighting it and we should focus on the meaning of the story.

I remember a preist talking about when Jesus was giving a lecture and no one brought food and only this one kid had two fish and a loaf of bread. And he brought it to Jesus to share. The Bible says Jesus was able to feed everyone there with plenty left over. Now the priest says it could be that everyone there had food but was too selfish to share, and seeing that boy selflessly giving away his food encourage everyone to bring it up. I like that explanation than "Ooooo... magic" because it shows this supposed miracle is something we could actually do if we just stepped up. But I guess that's too much thinking for most people

I agree with this, specially when they made fun of it on South Park. I believe Pope John Paul even said that evolution is true, there's no fighting it and we should focus on the meaning of the story.

I remember a preist talking about when Jesus was giving a lecture and no one brought food and only this one kid had two fish and a loaf of bread. And he brought it to Jesus to share. The Bible says Jesus was able to feed everyone there with plenty left over. Now the priest says it could be that everyone there had food but was too selfish to share, and seeing that boy selflessly giving away his food encourage everyone to bring it up. I like that explanation than "Ooooo... magic" because it shows this supposed miracle is something we could actually do if we just stepped up. But I guess that's too much thinking for most people

he did say that, and alot of Catholics were pissed because that theory goes against creationism.

Born and raised Catholic, even went to a Catholic girls' school.

And we see where that got me :wink:

Oh yeah, now I'm a practicing buddhist.

Last edited:
I'm christian. I know a lot of people have a problem with the whole world and universe being created in 6 days...but if you think about it, if you have infinite power, is 6 days really that amazing? I personally think the Big Man took his time.

Latest posts

Back