IDW's Transformers Discussion (SPOILERS)

Comixology is having a sale on More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise. Both first issues are also free. Now is the time to try these out!

I'll get there. I read the Megatron Origins mini series. That was horrible, though I know you said the early stuff wasn't very good. I'll keep reading to hopefully get to the good stuff.

I'll get there. I read the Megatron Origins mini series. That was horrible, though I know you said the early stuff wasn't very good. I'll keep reading to hopefully get to the good stuff.

Spotlight: Orion Pax, Spotlight: Blurr, Autocracy, and Monstrosity are good. Autocracy and Monstrosity are part of a trilogy of miniseries detailing how the war began. The third part is coming out in the next month or two. All Hail Megatron was a soft reset and is when things start to get really good.

Comixology is having a sale on More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise. Both first issues are also free. Now is the time to try these out!

My buddy took advantage of the sale after I pestered him to read them for a month. He messaged me that he was blown away by how good they were.

Just a reminder of what we could have had. Phil Jimenez's JL/TF crossover

jla-transformers-jimenez2.jpg

jla-transformers-jimenez.jpg

Last edited:
So I read the Orion Pax and Blurr Spotlights earlier, and just finished Autocracy and the Thundercracker spotlight.

They were alright, a major improvement over the meandering and non-sensical Megatron Origin mini.

Next up is Monstrosity, more Spotlights, and Infiltration, Stormbringer, etc. I'll be reading all that stuff and beyond over the next week or two, and then be up to the All Hail Megatron series.

I really liked the Blurr Spotlight. It added a lot of depth to a character who, in the G1 cartoon, didn't have any (none of them did) and I loved that struggle of trying to figure out where his place in the universe is. I also really enjoyed the Orion Pax Spotlight. Always love some Orion Pax. It was nice to get a young fresh Orion Pax story before he becomes Optimus Prime. Loved the face shield thing too. The Thundercracker one I remember liking but can't remember what it was about. Probably due to it being a more recent publication so I hadn't already read it during my re-reading and the fact that I don't really care for the Seekers outside of Starscream anyway.

I really liked the Blurr Spotlight. It added a lot of depth to a character who, in the G1 cartoon, didn't have any (none of them did) and I loved that struggle of trying to figure out where his place in the universe is.

Yeah it was ok. I wouldn't say it offered a lot of depth, it was pretty simplistic in regards to it's characterization (as I have a feeling all the TF comics will be). And that's ok, it doesn't need to be some character-driven, Shakespearean epic.

I also really enjoyed the Orion Pax Spotlight. Always love some Orion Pax. It was nice to get a young fresh Orion Pax story before he becomes Optimus Prime. Loved the face shield thing too.

I found that one pretty mediocre. Unimaginitive use of plotting (as basic as it was) and a wholly uninteresting approach to the character. The Autocracy series did a better job of showing who Orion was (and later Optimus after his transformation). The faceplate gag was probably the best part, and while I love little jabs at continuity like that, it's a bit sad that was the most memorable aspect.

The Thundercracker one I remember liking but can't remember what it was about. Probably due to it being a more recent publication so I hadn't already read it during my re-reading and the fact that I don't really care for the Seekers outside of Starscream anyway.

Thundercracker Spotlight was about him and some other Decepticons searching for Metroplex across space after he up and left the Autobot city for no explained reason (least so far). Features Bumblebee and crew helping prevent the Decepticons from killing innocent aliens. It did offer a bit of expanded characterization for one of the Decepticon characters, instead of just being evil and thirsty for power he was conflicted over their habit of wiping out innocents.

In G1 Blurr talked fast and was fast. That was his character. In comparison the Spotlight is deep. You won't get insane characterization until after Furman, maybe even until the current series. I am so looking forward to you getting to that stuff.

Oh yeah! That and Metroplex won't be super important until much later. That's a pretty recent Spotlight (January 2013) so it ties into more current events but takes place in the past.

In G1 Blurr talked fast and was fast. That was his character. In comparison the Spotlight is deep. You won't get insane characterization until after Furman, maybe even until the current series. I am so looking forward to you getting to that stuff. Oh yeah! That and Metroplex won't be super important until much later. That's a pretty recent Spotlight (January 2013) so it ties into more current events but takes place in the past.

Ok. Taking a break tonight to finish up Boardwalk Empire Season 3 (and maybe get into Season 4), but I'll get back to it in next few days.

Right on. I just realized since you think Smallville Season 11 is bad you're probably going to hate More Than Meets The Eye. It'll probably be too optimistic and fun for you :p

Last edited:
Right on. I just realized since you think Smallville Season 11 is bad you're probably going to hate More Than Meets The Eye. It'll probably be too optimistic and fun for you :p

Not at all. I enjoy optimism and fun comics just as much as I enjoy dark and gritty comics. I just don't enjoy mindless, unimaginative, uninteresting, immature, one-dimensional, and amateurish/hack crap like Ultimates 3. After all, I loved All-Star Superman, which was very optimistic and fun for the most part.

I don't have a certain type of comic I like beyond them being good with a quality story and characters behind it.

As for Smallville comics, if the pages you posted in that thread are an example of that book's quality, I'm not missing out. Never watched the show, anyway, so it wouldn't hold any meaning for me.

Botcon info!

• Primacy will conclude the Cybertronian War trilogy begun with Autocracy and Monstrosity and will be a "true war story".
  • Transformers: Punishment, a motion comic for the Madefire app, has Optimus hunting a killer after the Dark Cybertron event. The will be a print version.
  • There will always be two on-goings and a miniseries. After the upcoming Drift: Empire of Stone mini will be Windblade Returns by Scott and Stone.
  • More Spotlights are not planned. Nor are movie comics. A tie-in for the upcoming Robots in Disguise cartoon may be in the cards.
  • No plans for Simon Furman.

Not at all. I enjoy optimism and fun comics just as much as I enjoy dark and gritty comics. I just don't enjoy mindless, unimaginative, uninteresting, immature, one-dimensional, and amateurish/hack crap like Ultimates 3. After all, I loved All-Star Superman, which was very optimistic and fun for the most part.

I was playfully stabbing at the dark nature of most of Valiant's comics. Smallville is classic style Superman so it is optimistic and fun in nature.

As for Smallville comics, if the pages you posted in that thread are an example of that book's quality, I'm not missing out. Never watched the show, anyway, so it wouldn't hold any meaning for me.

I was more trying to show the amount of world building that has occurred since the show's finale. I showed how Superman has effected society, Wonder Woman, and Yellow Lantern Arkham inmates

Last edited:
Botcon info! [*]Primacy will conclude the Cybertronian War trilogy begun with Autocracy and Monstrosity and will be a "true war story". [*]Transformers: Punishment, a motion comic for the Madefire app, has Optimus hunting a killer after the Dark Cybertron event. The will be a print version. [*]There will always be two on-goings and a miniseries. After the upcoming Drift: Empire of Stone mini will be Windblade Returns by Scott and Stone. [*]More Spotlights are not planned. Nor are movie comics. A tie-in for the upcoming Robots in Disguise cartoon may be in the cards. [*]No plans for Simon Furman.

Cool.

I was playfully stabbing at the dark nature of most of Valiant's comics. Smallville is classic style Superman so it is optimistic and fun in nature.

Yeah, Valiant is definitely a darker version of a superhero world, arguably darker than Marvel or DC in most respects. Except Quantum & Woody and Archer & Armstrong. Overall those are pretty lighthearted.

I was more trying to show the amount of world building that has occurred since the show's finale. I showed how Superman has effected society, Wonder Woman, and Yellow Lantern Arkham inmates

Ah, I see. It's cool they were able to introduce that stuff in the comics, since they couldn't get away with introducing some of the bigger DC heroes (Batman, Wonder Woman) in the show itself.

I'll be reading through Monstrosity tonight.

Sounds good. I just remembered something. While that reading order works, it does split up arcs. You can also read them like this. I'd imagine it would read better since the miniseries and arcs wouldn't be split.

Megatron Origin #1-4
Spotlight - Orion Pax
Spotlight - Blurr
Autocracy #1-12
Spotlight - Thundercracker
Monstrosity #1-12
Spotlight - Shockwave
Spotlight - Cliffjumper
Spotlight - Wheelie
Spotlight - Hot Rod
Spotlight - Sixshot
Spotlight - Ultra Magnus
Spotlight - Soundwave
Infiltration #0-6
Stormbringer #1-4
Spotlight - Kup
New Avengers/Transformers #1-4
Escalation #1-6
Spotlight - Nightbeat
Spotlight - Ramjet
Spotlight - Galvatron
Spotlight - Optimus Prime
Devastation #1-6
Spotlight - Blaster
Spotlight - Arcee
Spotlight - Mirage
Spotlight - Grimlock
Revelation #1-4 (contains Spotlights on Cyclonus, Hardhead, Doubledealer & Sideswipe)
Maximum Dinobots #1-5
Spotlight - Drift
All Hail Megatron #15
Spotlight - Metroplex
Spotlight - Jazz
All Hail Megatron #1-14 & 16
Continuum
Spotlight - Prowl
Last Stand of the Wreckers #1-5
The Transformers #1-6
Bumblebee #1-4
Ironhide #1-4
The Transformers #7-18
Drift #1-4
The Transformers: Infestation #1-2
Heart of Darkness #1-4
Spotlight - Megatron
Transformers #19-31
Spotlight - Bumblebee
Transformers: Death of Optimus Prime

Post Death of Optimus Prime has the first two arcs of both books followed by the Trailcutter Spotlight and then the Hoist Spotlight. After that I'd alternate between the books after each arc since they came out at the same time. MTMTE annual is after issue #8 and RID annual is after issue #9.

Last edited:
Wyo, I just started Monstrosity, but I'm wondering if it shouldn't be placed BEFORE the Thundercracker Spotlight issue, since the Spotlight shows the Decepticons searching deep space for Metroplex who's left Cybertron. I'm only a few pages into the first issue of Monstrosity, but it clearly shows Metroplex is still on the planet, and even labels the scene setting as "Metroplex".

So I'm a bit confused as to the intended chronology, here.

Also, the logical inconsistencies in Monstrosity are astounding. Scorponok sets off a fusion bomb, which wipes out thousands, yet somehow he, Optimus Prime, and all the other main Autobot, Decepticon, and Dynobot characters, who were standing right next to the thing when it went off, survived? WTF? There isn't even an attempt at giving an explanation for it other than "our fate was to live"... oh my God that's idiotically lazy writing.

Also, while they're investigating the bomb site to see if they can recover Energon they're worrying about radiation? But... why? Are there bodies made of metal parts or cells?

And then there's the whole Energon crisis that's been plaguing Cybertron since the beginning of the IDW continuity storyline. Apparently Energon reserves are running out (a pretty obvious parallel to oil). Ok... but then the Autobots discover Energon thats "naturally occurring"... so hold on... does this mean the other Energon wasn't naturally occurring? If so whats the point of it being refined? I'm honestly wondering if the writer was thinking any of this through.

So far it seems to be a case of throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Last edited:
Wyo, I just started Monstrosity, but I'm wondering if it shouldn't be placed BEFORE the Thundercracker Spotlight issue, since the Spotlight shows the Decepticons searching deep space for Metroplex who's left Cybertron. I'm only a few pages into the first issue of Monstrosity, but it clearly shows Metroplex is still on the planet, and even labels the scene setting as "Metroplex".

So I'm a bit confused as to the intended chronology, here.

Monstrosity wasn't out when Spotlight: Thundercracker was released so it was probably just in the wrong place. You'll know where it goes when you're caught up. Probably after the trilogy would be my guess. A lot of stuff happens with Metroplex.

Also, the logical inconsistencies in Monstrosity are astounding. Scorponok sets off a fusion bomb, which wipes out thousands, yet somehow he, Optimus Prime, and all the other main Autobot, Decepticon, and Dynobot characters, who were standing right next to the thing when it went off, survived? WTF? There isn't even an attempt at giving an explanation for it other than "our fate was to live"... oh my God that's idiotically lazy writing.

Yeah, that still has yet to be explained.

Also, while they're investigating the bomb site to see if they can recover Energon they're worrying about radiation? But... why? Are there bodies made of metal parts or cells?

And then there's the whole Energon crisis that's been plaguing Cybertron since the beginning of the IDW continuity storyline. Apparently Energon reserves are running out (a pretty obvious parallel to oil). Ok... but then the Autobots discover Energon thats "naturally occurring"... so hold on... does this mean the other Energon wasn't naturally occurring? If so whats the point of it being refined? I'm honestly wondering if the writer was thinking any of this through.

The whole Energon radiation started in Beast Wars as an excuse to give them organic alt-forms. Transformers have Sparks which is their soul and the radiation Energon gives off harms it. Some universe they Transformers built equipment to prevent this but I can't remember if IDW has it. While Energon is found in ore, crystal, and gas Transformers use Energon in a liquid state so it has to be processed and is stored in what is known as an Energon Cube. It's food! It's fuel! It's highly combustible! There is also artificial Energon that is created by processing oil and the like. Natural is only found on Cybertron though. This will, obviously, all be explained by the time you're caught up.

Monstrosity wasn't out when Spotlight: Thundercracker was released so it was probably just in the wrong place. You'll know where it goes when you're caught up. Probably after the trilogy would be my guess.

Yeah I figured that, but even the chronologies that people have online have the Thundercracker Spotlight in the wrong place. Timeline n00bs.

A lot of stuff happens with Metroplex. Yeah, that still has yet to be explained. The whole Energon radiation started in Beast Wars as an excuse to give them organic alt-forms. Transformers have Sparks which is their soul and the radiation Energon gives off harms it. Some universe they Transformers built equipment to prevent this but I can't remember if IDW has it. While Energon is found in ore, crystal, and gas Transformers use Energon in a liquid state so it has to be processed and is stored in what is known as an Energon Cube. It's food! It's fuel! It's highly combustible! There is also artificial Energon that is created by processing oil and the like. Natural is only found on Cybertron though. This will, obviously, all be explained by the time you're caught up.

Some of that I've picked up on, but as you said I'm sure more will be explained regarding as dragon as the series progresses.

I read a bunch last night. Got through Monstrosity, a bunch of Spotlights, and the first half of Infiltration and Stormbringer. Will finish those up tonight and maybe get in a handful of issues beyond that. I'll probably be up to the current stuff by month's end.

I have a feeling James Roberts is going to be your favorite of the writers. He's currently writing More Than Meets the Eye. He does a LOT of fixes to continuity and fleshes stuff out from the past that doesn't always make sense to make it make sense. He starts with Last Stand of the Wreckers which is argued to be the best of the universe. He did the Orion Pax Spolight. Another fun tidbit is that James Roberts gives his comics soundtracks. Those can be found on the wiki.

I thought I said it already but New Avengers/Transformers is a POS

Last edited:
Just finished the new issue of More Than Meets The Eye. Really did not care for Atilio Rojo's art but eventually the story became too good and I kind of just got used to it. Really digging the current ship crew and next issue looks like it's getting back into the "horror" that I loved in that earlier arc.

Latest posts

Back