IDW's Transformers Discussion (SPOILERS)

Man. I was hoping you'd tell me when you got to All Hail Megatron lol. It get better for you yet?

October Solicitations

Transformers VS G.I. JOE #4
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
THE WAR AT HOME! But whose home—and whose war?! Interstellar war has never been so cosmic! The G.I. JOE team faces the TRANSFORMERS—on Earth and Cybertron. Plus—just in time for Halloween… meet the OCTOBER GUARD!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
- The biggest crossover the cosmos has ever faced JUST KEEPS GETTING BIGGER!!!
- Ask your retailer about the Tom Scioli connecting variant cover! Connects with the variants for #2 & #3 creating one big piece!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #34
James Roberts (w) • Atilio Rojo (a) • Brendan Cahill (c)
THE DILEMMA! On a planet dedicated to Right and Wrong, four damaged AUTOBOTS must make an impossible choice: kill or cure? Whatever they decide, their lives will never be the same.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
- A character-intense prelude to next month's ELEGANT CHAOS event!
- 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Ken Christiansen!

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #34
John Barber (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a) • Andrew Griffith (a)
THE ENIGMA! At last… the secret origins of CYBERTRON's golden age are revealed to OPTIMUS PRIME—and what he learns changes everything about the AUTOBOTS' mission on Earth!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
- The greatest secret in AUTOBOT history? Or the greatest secret anywhere? You decide!

Transformers: Primacy #3 (of 4)
Chris Metzen & Flint Dille (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a & c)
CYBERTRON AT WAR! The giant city-sized Titans, METROPLEX and TRYPTICON, battle on a scale the universe has never seen—and the destruction they leave in their wake leaves CYBERTRON ready for the DECEPTICONS to strike!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
- The End of the Beginning of the TRANSFORMERS Saga!
- The early, brutal days of the war for CYBERTRON

Metroplex vs Trypticon!!? Rhinox!!? ANOTHER EVENT!!?

Last edited:
10425179_10152542621523279_5746448381609275696_n.jpg

More info coming in today's IDW and Hasbro panel.

Transformers vs GI Joe is in the old continuity, right? Not the newer IDW continuity, correct?

It's a rebooted continuity. Has nothing to do with any of the other Transformers or G.I. Joe books. I just threw it in because IDW publishes it and it is Transformers. I have yet to read it though so I don't know how the quality is. Going to after I'm done re-reading the IDW G.I. Joe universe.

I've just finished my Boy Meets World, Boardwalk Empire, and Falling Skies watch throughs so I'm going to focus more time on the remaining TF issues I have.

Sweet!

IDW/Hasbro Panel

Alright, first a quick run down on everything that is coming up!

Trasformers Robots in Disguise – John Barber writing, Andrew Griffith main artist. Searching on Earth for 'mysterious object' - everyone loves Thundercracker and Buster.

Transformers More Than Meets The Eye – James Roberts writing, teases return of old favourites, more horror, sci-fi and personal drama.

Transformers Windblade – Miniseries. Mairghread Scott writing. Sarah Stone art. Recently concluded first solo adventure, will return. Response has been impressive and amazing.

Transformers Primacy – Miniseries. Writers Chris Metzen and Flint Dille, artist Livio Ramondelli. Final part of Cybertron Wars (Autocracy, Monstrosity), Ramondelli co-plotted volume this time.

Transformers Punishment – Miniseries. Barber written, Livio Ramondelli drawn digital comic. Shortly arriving on other OS, and possibly other formats too.

Drift: Empire of Stone. Miniseries. Writer Shane McCarthy, artist Guido Guidi.

The cross-franchise Combiner Wars event, announced yesterday, will take place in the comics too, with John Barber and Mairghread Scott on writing duties, across 2015. We've already seen some seeding of the event in the comics so far.

Then some alternate universes stuff

Angry Birds Transformers crossover comic! Written by John Barber and art by Marcelo Ferreira. Covers by Livio Ramondelli, and Casey W. Coller & John-Paul Bove. Premise: All-Spark falls to Piggy Island, Transformers personalities merge with inhabitants. Very funny comic, panel says.

Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli and John Barber writing, Trypticon will show up in issue 2! Sold out at distributor level, Liefeld convention cover exclusive sold out.

No plans for a Transformers and My Little Pony crossover, more Grimlock coming, and aftermath of Dark Cybertron/Crystal City to be explored in RID #33.

So is all this in IDW's continuity? I know most is but just wondering about Punishment and Combiner Wars.

Trasformers Robots in Disguise – John Barber writing, Andrew Griffith main artist. Searching on Earth for 'mysterious object' - everyone loves Thundercracker and Buster. Transformers More Than Meets The Eye – James Roberts writing, teases return of old favourites, more horror, sci-fi and personal drama. Transformers Windblade – Miniseries. Mairghread Scott writing. Sarah Stone art. Recently concluded first solo adventure, will return. Response has been impressive and amazing. Transformers Primacy – Miniseries. Writers Chris Metzen and Flint Dille, artist Livio Ramondelli. Final part of Cybertron Wars (Autocracy, Monstrosity), Ramondelli co-plotted volume this time. Transformers Punishment – Miniseries. Barber written, Livio Ramondelli drawn digital comic. Shortly arriving on other OS, and possibly other formats too. Drift: Empire of Stone. Miniseries. Writer Shane McCarthy, artist Guido Guidi.

The cross-franchise Combiner Wars event, announced yesterday, will take place in the comics too, with John Barber and Mairghread Scott on writing duties, across 2015. We've already seen some seeding of the event in the comics so far.

Last edited:
Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye are the two current ongoings. Windblade was a miniseries that ended this week and a new miniseries is scheduled for after the Drift: Empire of Stone miniseries. Primacy is a miniseries that is a sequel to Monstrosity and finishes that trilogy. Punishment is a Madefire exclusive digital miniseries that will be eventually released in other digital stores and in print. Combiner Wars will be an event. Those are all in the universe you are reading.

Angry Birds and vs G.I. Joe are different universes.

Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye are the two current ongoings. Windblade was a miniseries that ended this week and a new miniseries is scheduled for after the Drift: Empire of Stone miniseries. Primacy is a miniseries that is a sequel to Monstrosity and finishes that trilogy. Punishment is a Madefire exclusive digital miniseries that will be eventually released in other digital stores and in print. Combiner Wars will be an event. Those are all in the universe you are reading. Angry Birds and vs G.I. Joe are different universes.

Ok, yeah I thought so, just wanted to confirm.

Where are you? I wanted to ask about your opinion on something but don't want to spoil it for you.

Ok, yeah I thought so, just wanted to confirm.

I'm pretty damn excited for these. In fact, this is probably my favorite news out of SDCC so far (which makes me really kind of sad in a way because these comics main goal is to sell toys but they're so damn good!). I'm excited for Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye because they're both awesome (as you soon will see), Windblade because the first one was cool (took a while to get used to the art) and having a female team on a female book is always a plus, Primacy because it is the end of the trilogy (which I've really enjoyed) of how the war began, Punishment because Optimus hunting down a serial killer sounds amazing and with Barber writing it should be, Drift: Empire of Stone because Drift is one of my favorite characters and having the creative team come back to tell the story of what happened when Drift left, in MTME #16 (which honestly made me cry reading (not him leaving, you'll see)), and Combiner Wars because this is something Barber has been very clearly seeding (at least I think I see where he is going with it) and I do love me some payoffs.

Last edited:
Where are you? I wanted to ask about your opinion on something but don't want to spoil it for you.

I'm just about to start the Drift mini series.

I'm pretty damn excited for these. In fact, this is probably my favorite news out of SDCC so far (which makes me really kind of sad in a way because these comics main goal is to sell toys but they're so damn good!). I'm excited for Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye because they're both awesome (as you soon will see), Windblade because the first one was cool (took a while to get used to the art) and having a female team on a female book is always a plus, Primacy because it is the end of the trilogy (which I've really enjoyed) of how the war began, Punishment because Optimus hunting down a serial killer sounds amazing and with Barber writing it should be, Drift: Empire of Stone because Drift is one of my favorite characters and having the creative team come back to tell the story of what happened when Drift left, in MTME #16 (which honestly made me cry reading (not him leaving, you'll see)), and Combiner Wars because this is something Barber has been very clearly seeding (at least I think I see where he is going with it) and I do love me some payoffs.

It's cool to see them expanding the universe so much.

I'm still pretty luke warm about it overall though. While it's gotten better as I go, the inherent problem is it's essentially just robots fighting. Sure, the reasons and motivations change, as do the settings, but it just seems to be missing some interesting or worthwhile aspect I can't quite out my finger on.

But I'm determined to stick with it and keep reading. Even after I get caught up to the current stuff I'll continue to check out the new issues that come out that are a part of the IDW continuity.

I'm also hoping that IDW publishes a new collection of Omnibuses that collect every issue in chronological order. The current omnibus releases they're doing kind of do that, but not perfectly since some newer stuff is set early on. If they do that I might actually buy those omnibuses.

But explain something to me. Drift. What the hell? Swords? He's really bringing swords to a gunfight? How is he not dead by now?

I'm just about to start the Drift mini series.

You aren't there yet, but you're close.

It's cool to see them expanding the universe so much.

I'm still pretty luke warm about it overall though. While it's gotten better as I go, the inherent problem is it's essentially just robots fighting. Sure, the reasons and motivations change, as do the settings, but it just seems to be missing some interesting or worthwhile aspect I can't quite out my finger on.

But I'm determined to stick with it and keep reading. Even after I get caught up to the current stuff I'll continue to check out the new issues that come out that are a part of the IDW continuity.

I'm also hoping that IDW publishes a new collection of Omnibuses that collect every issue in chronological order. The current omnibus releases they're doing kind of do that, but not perfectly since some newer stuff is set early on. If they do that I might actually buy those omnibuses.

But explain something to me. Drift. What the hell? Swords? He's really bringing swords to a gunfight? How is he not dead by now?

I'm gonna go ahead and spoil this since I think I already have. The war does come to an end eventually. The current on-goings explore what happens after that. RID is them putting Cybertron back together with a new government and MTMTE is a space adventure starring b-list characters and both are INCREDIBLY character driven. I have yet to have a person tell me they don't love More Than Meets The Eye which has a lot of heart and humor.

I hope not, I just started buying them haha. If they do it'll be a while. They're about to release IDW Collections for the RID and MTMTE stuff.

Drift is just that good. As you're about to find out.

Last edited:
It was so nice to get a little bit spotlight on Jazz with RID #31. Lots of story that needed to get filled. Especially since that big moment in the Transformers on-going. That cliffhanger though. Damn.

Read the two issues of G.I. Joe vs Transformers that are out. I can't tell if the art is so bad it's making it difficult to read or if the whole thing just sucks. Really disappointed in this. I'm going to keep reading due to me being a masochist, but I'm not hopeful in the slightest. Really bummed out.

Last edited:
Here it is DIB! A preview for the first NEW issue you'll be able to read. Primacy #1! I did some research (read: looked at the solicitations) into the writers. Chris Metzen was really the only one I hadn't heard of and that's because he works as a designer at Blizzard! Flint Dille I know very well due to him being a writer for The Transformers (G1 cartoon). He wrote the five part epic Five Faces of Darkness! Anyway, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when it comes out!

Last edited:
Here it is DIB! A preview for the first NEW issue you'll be able to read. Primacy #1! I did some research (read: looked at the solicitations) into the writers. Chris Metzen was really the only one I hadn't heard of and that's because he works as a designer at Blizzard! Flint Dille I know very well due to him being a writer for The Transformers (G1 cartoon). He wrote the five part epic Five Faces of Darkness! Anyway, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when it comes out!

I know Chris Metzen's work quite well as I'm a huge StarCraft fan since back in the day, and have read most of the spin off novels and comics. So the fact he's co-writing it is interesting.

Latest posts

Back