IGN Exclusive look at Ultmates Vol. 3.

I'm afraid for what this all means in Ultimate X-Men.

Ultimate Spider-Man stole Kitty Pryde and now Ultimates 3 stole the Brotherhood....I feel sorry for Robert Kirkman right now. Other writers keep stealing his stories and characters.

And really, Ultimate X-Men is my only care for this whole universe at the moment.

It's not like the other titles still can't use The Brotherhood and Kitty.....

It's only an arc....

I always expect the worst.

And besides, the Ultimates aren't really known for taking prisoners.

The people at Millarworld seem to like it...I can't help but think the more cynical minded people hang out on this site.

Last edited:
You guys are hating this before anything comes out? Saying that this is going to be so close to 616 that you're going to miserable reading it? You're pissed at the artwork despite the fact that it looks brilliant? You guys are hating this before anything comes out?

You guys are beginning to sound like me. :roll: And I'm not even complaining about this...

I have to say that I'm really disappointed (but not surprised) to see Spidey and Wolverine and the rest of the X-Men in it.

The Ultimates stopped being "The Ultimate Avengers" during Grand Theft America and instead became "Ultimate Marvel Universe". It's the franchise flagship - not that there's anything wrong with that, the problem is that it generally means over-saturation of popular characters in shallow stories to sell more comics. I think there's not going to be much point to the series at all. But then it's Jeph Loeb writing, and so I'm sadly not surprised.

I wish I wasn't 'fanboyish' in hating something on principle ("Jeph Loeb's writing it?! It MUST be terrible!") but - ugh, it's just how I feel. Sad but true.

As for the art - I like Joe Mad a lot. But for some reason, he's ****ed up Thor and Captain America and Wolverine a great deal. The three main characters on his heroes cover, and I think they look poopy. I believe this is something of a rush promo job Joe Mad did, as opposed to a finished piece of the quality of the comic (crosses fingers). One thing I can't fathom is Magneto. Why is he looking at us? He's turned sideways from the fighting. Does no one else think he just looks insanely stupid?

That said, ignoring the lack of cohesion of the 'story' side of the cover (why is Venom with the Brotherhood? Why is Storm a villain?), there's some brilliant images. Venom looks great. His tongue is serrated! Madrox and Sabretooth look cool too. My fave villain though, is the Blob. This is why I've enjoyed Mad when he draws pre-existing characters as he has a way of drawing them very... uniquely. I don't mean the japanimerican style, I mean the approach to the character. Making Blob a kind of gluttonous zombie, to my knowledge, hasn't been done before, and in my opinion, a great approach to Blob. I really like it a lot. Black Panther and Sif (or is it Valkyrie) both look great too.

I also really like Hawkeye.

Two reasons - on a story level, with Black Widow gone, it makes sense that Hawkeye would kinda fill the 'spy' role (the alternative is to get a new spy in). Hawkeye was always the 'second spy' of the Ultimates, without Widow, he gets promoted.

The other reason is I think it's great for Ultimate Hawkeye. Like Cap lost his bucanneer boots and his wings, replaced with a military-issue costume, Thor lost his cloak and archaic boots, and so on in Hitch's redesign, it actually makes a lot of sense for Ultimate Hawkeye, who's part of a military superhuman defense initiative, and a member of covert operations within said initiative, formed in the 21st century to use easily compactable firearms and infra-red goggles than a bow and arrow.

Actually seeing this Hawkeye makes me wish Hitch had gone this route originally, with Hawkeye being a master sniper. That said, if he had done so, he would've overlapped too much with Black Widow, and so, it doesn't bother me that he does use a bow and arrow.

But as I say, for Ultimate Hawkeye, when you look back at the ultimizing ethic in place when the Ultimate universe was fresh and strong (about five years ago), I think Mad's design is absolutely on the money - though, perhaps, a little too Grifter.

Nonetheless, I have less trouble with Hawkeye using guns (something he did do in Hitllar's Ultimates), then I do with him using cutlery and fingernails to destroy his enemies.

Hitllar had Hawkeye ripping off Bullseye long before Joeb did.

You're right! It kinda does look like an automatic crossbow.

But it's firing bullets?!

Crossbows that work and are as compact as automatic weapons?

Actually - that's much better than just guns. I really like that. I'm not sure exactly how it works in my head or how Mad's intending it to work, but they way I'm thinking about it - like a bat-themed boomerang (the batarang) for Batman, arrow-themed firearms for Hawkeye - that's it. That's exactly what it should be. I'm so for it. :D

Last edited:
You know what pisses me off the most? The fact that this has essentially been turned into 616 New Avengers. I'm honestly surprised that Captain America doesn't have little wings on his head. Also, Thor is all wrong. ALL WRONG!!!! How are they going to justify Thor's hammer changing from the awesomeness of what it was to FREAKING 616 THOR'S HAMMER??!!?? Why are they changing nearly thirty issues of continuity to make it as bland as the regular Marvel Universe? Wasn't the point of the Ultimate Universe that it was different than the 616 universe? But, hey, we don't have the creative power to think about Ultimatizing characters even after we already have nearly thirty issues that have already done the job for us. It's just sheer laziness, no ifs ands or buts.

As for the art- it's pretty, but if every issue is like that, each issue will take just as long as (if not longer than) Bryan Hitch's issues to come out.

And don't even get me started on how they are now apparently fighting every villain in the Ultimate Marvel Universe. Can't they Ultimatize some characters we haven't seen before? Are they really that lazy (well actually, as we saw with Thor, they are)? I mean, I've already seen all these characters before! Where's the new stuff? Where's the interesting villains with new backrounds and cool powers? Are they just doing this so they don't have to have any character development from the villains, period? After all, other and obviously better writers have already delved into the complexities and backgrounds of these characters, so now Loeb doesn't have to bother!

In the end, I am utterly disappointed. I chalk it up to laziness- unwillingness to be creative, and to come up with new material. Loeb could have gone a hundred different directions with what Millar gave him, and he chose to write 616 Avengers. Disappointing.

And someone needs to tell Joe Madablabbityblabhowtheheckdoyouspellhislastname that this isn't 616 Marvel, and drawing a picture based on the first picture that comes up on a Google image search of Thor isn't going to cut it.

i 100% agree with everything you said

Crap!

I hadn't noticed Mad drew Mjolnir as 616! Boo! I much prefer Ultimate Mjolnir!

I think I didn't notice because Thor isn't carrying it. If I'd seen the Ultimate Thor costume design holding 616 Mjolnir I would've noticed and been upset. As it is right now, I disagree but am rather indifferent.

Not trying to justify it, but maybe since Thor's Godhood isn't suspect at all, Loeb and Mad thought giving him a more ancient look was the right thing to do. That could explain the ancient Mjolnir, the skirt, the leather belt. I'm not happy about it but I can understand their reasoning if that's it. And I think Wanda and Pietro are just going back to their roots. I mean when they first came out they had identical costumes to their 616 counterparts. If they want to be superheroes, they're going to dress like it. The rest of the characters look fine. The only one I have a gripe with is the white Wasp. Black Panther does look kickass though.

In so many ways

:cry:

Considering that Ultimate shouldn't be 616. . .yes, yes it is. If you want 616 Venom, read 616.

This is just bull****.

But was the point of the ultimate universe not to make them different but close to the basic idea of the the original was?

Original Idea is not big black monster than uses tentacles and sucks people in to eat them.

Original idea was pretty much an evil Spider-man. The ultimate version should be like that , Ok cure for cancer that works , give him the webbing from Spider-man 3 that would work.

turning him in pretty the blob from the blob movie doesn't work and I even hated Ultimate Venom untill game came out I thought "ohhh Perfect Venom is closer to what he should be"

:cry:

But was the point of the ultimate universe not to make them different but close to the basic idea of the the original was?

Original Idea is not big black monster than uses tentacles and sucks people in to eat them.

Original idea was pretty much an evil Spider-man. The ultimate version should be like that , Ok cure for cancer that works , give him the webbing from Spider-man 3 that would work.

turning him in pretty the blob from the blob movie doesn't work and I even hated Ultimate Venom untill game came out I thought "ohhh Perfect Venom is closer to what he should be"

Ultimate Venom is better for one main reason: Personality. And I like the more organic feel of Venom. He can still paralell Spider-Man and not have the same powers. Zoom parallels Flash but he has time control powers, Bizarro parallels Superman and his powers are in reverse. Ultimate Venom was a much more interesting character.

Ultimate Venom is better for one main reason: Personality. And I like the more organic feel of Venom. He can still paralell Spider-Man and not have the same powers. Zoom parallels Flash but he has time control powers, Bizarro parallels Superman and his powers are in reverse. Ultimate Venom was a much more interesting character.

Bizarro is in reverse but same powers pretty much so bad example.

I agree with the Zoom thing. However Ultimate venom had no personality untill game as when he was venom he pretty much just roared and attacked.

The thing though is in order to stay true to original but yet make him new keep the organic thing that's ok. But he needs spider-man's powers otherwise he's not what Venom should be.

If it was a brand new charracter then sure go with that. However as it's based on 616 it would be like if All-star batman does the joker but makes him look The Batman cartoon and act like hulk. Maybe that's not explaining it too well but that's what i'm getting at mate.

Because Hawkeye's got a crossbow gun, people hate this...

Anyway, I just have to say this - that's NOT STORM! It can't be...

Also, I feel assured that the reason Toad is now on the X-Men without much of a problem other than Jean *****ing will be explained in U3.

Last edited:
Because Hawkeye's got a crossbow gun, people hate this...

Well, it's utterly pointless. There's no reason for it to look like that besides "it looks cool", and doing stupid things because "it looks cool" is a sign of dark times coming.

Anyway, I just have to say this - that's NOT STORM! It can't be...

Isn't there a Thor villain called the Enchantress or something? I think it was the one who got turned into a zombie but was able to fool Ash into thinking she looked normal in the last issue of Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness. Anyway, she'd be a good counterpart to Thor.

Having the crossbow gun is perfected expected. In the UU, where everything is a modern interpretation of 616, things are only slightly altered, bearing resemblance to the things people loved in the original universe. So... All of a sudden, when Hawkeye is given a crossbow gun, this idea is stupid to everyone.

I was thinking a Thor villain, too, actually... Just didn't know anyone.

Latest posts

Back