IGN's Top 100 videogames of all time

No real difference, see? :)
There is a difference.

Nobody starts ranking Bass against other members, and there is at least a certain amount of Bendis discussion that actually critiques his writing style --- and I don't just mean the vicious tearing apart that Bass subjects him to, but the phenomenological deconstruction of his denouements that I think I've done before.

And Bendis hate seems limited to threads where it actually matters, other than the off-topic jokes made at his (and Card's) expense. Bass praise immediately follows a good post, and doesn't just come in out of nowhere unless he decides to indulge in his mock egomania.

Ice said:
So chill. Let them talk about which one was great/weaker for which one to be in the list and whatever.
Oh I wasn't even thinking about that. Whether Halo should be on that list or where is legitimate discussion. I just hope that it doesn't become all about Halo.

Nobody starts ranking Bass against other members, and there is at least a certain amount of Bendis discussion that actually critiques his writing style --- and I don't just mean the vicious tearing apart that Bass subjects him to, but the phenomenological deconstruction of his denouements that I think I've done before.
"Greatest UC Member"

CHECK AND MATE GOOD SIR!

And Bendis hate seems limited to threads where it actually matters, other than the off-topic jokes made at his (and Card's) expense. Bass praise immediately follows a good post, and doesn't just come in out of nowhere unless he decides to indulge in his mock egomania.
Hence "before". :wink:

Oh I wasn't even thinking about that. Whether Halo should be on that list or where is legitimate discussion. I just hope that it doesn't become all about Halo.
Which is what I mentioned in the stuff from that paragraph you took out. Pfft. McWeirdo.

Last edited:
SUPER SMASH BROS.
Platform(s): N64
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Year Released: 2001

GUITAR HERO 2
Platform(s): PS2, X360
Developer: Harmonix
Publisher: RedOctane
Year Released: 2006

SHINING FORCE 2
Platform(s): GEN
Developer: Sonic Software Planning
Publisher: SEGA
Year Released: 1994

GOD OF WAR
Platform(s): PS2
Developer: SCE Studios Santa Monica
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Year Released: 2005

TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 2
Platform(s): DC, MAC, N64, PC, PSX
Developer: Treyarch
Publisher: Activision
Year Released: 2000

BATTLEFIELD 1942
Platform(s): MAC, PC
Developer: Digital Illusions CE (DICE)
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Year Released: 2002

PANZER DRAGOON SAGA
Platform(s): SAT
Developer: Team Andromeda
Publisher: SEGA
Year Released: 1998

BALDUR'S GATE 2: SHADOWS OF AMN
Developer: BioWare
Publisher: Interplay

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA
Platform(s): NES
Developer: Nintendo R&D4
Year Released: 1987

SUPER MARIO WORLD 2: YOSHI'S ISLAND
Platform(s): GBA, SNES
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Year Released: 1996

I figured this list is a good opportunity to comment on games that I've actually played --- thereby giving away what an old school PC gamer I am --- since nobody actually brings up any of the old games I know.

I've also posted links to about each game which will probably give you a better picture of what gamers probably felt like when they first played them and how they fit into the history of gaming.

ULTIMA 7: THE BLACK GATE
Platform(s): PC, SNES
Developer: Origin Systems
Publisher: Origin Systems
Year Released: 1992
:rockon:

One of the most morally complex and introspective RPGs of all time, which would only be surpassed seven years later with Planescape: Torment. Almost every console and PC RPG that puts the emphasis on role-playing over combat was beat by Ultima before them.

And I say that as someone who is not a total fan of the series.

Gemini said:
ALONE IN THE DARK
Platform(s): 3DO, MAC, PC, PSX, SAT
Developer: Imotion
Year Released: 1992

The original 3D survival horror game. Resident Evil is great and all, but it didn't 'invent' the genre as most people mistakenly believe (though it certainly made it more exciting). Also, who knew that a green translucent polygonal mess could pass as a frightening Lovecraftian horror?

Also AITD benefits from the fact that it was written in comprehensible English. Too bad almost every game after it kinda took the series from mediocre by having AITD2 become a shootfest featuring pirate kidnappers and then down to horrible when AITD3 had radioactive zombie cowboys.

Then they decided to make the game 'bad-***' by reinventing it with Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare, and change the lead character from a stuffy tweed-wearing private detective to a trenchcoat wearing mofo with a sexy assistant.

MANIAC MANSION: DAY OF THE TENTACLE
Developer: LucasArts
Publisher: LucasArts
Year Released: 1993
Totally hilarious adventure game. Not much else to say. I like how one of the puzzles involves pushing an old lady down the stairs.

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/33/

Gemini said:
SYNDICATE
Platform(s): 3DO, GEN, JAG, MAC, PC, SNES
Developer: Bullfrog Productions
Publisher: Electronic Arts

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1916

Totally bad-*** action oriented 'real-time strategy' game in which you control a squad of cybernetically enhanced killers. Insanely violent, and a lot of the strategy revolves around micromanaging the amount of drugs pumping into your squad.

SAM & MAX: HIT THE ROAD
Developer: LucasArts
Publisher: LucasArts
Another hilarious adventure game based on a largely unknown comic book with a cultish fanbase. It features an overly verbose canine detective named Sam and a hyperactive naked rabbit named Max. They are Freelance Police meaning they randomly solve crimes whenever they feel like it and through whatever means necessary.

MECHWARRIOR 2
Platform(s): MAC, PC, PSX, SAT
Developer: Activision
Publisher: Activision
Year Released: 1996
One of the most advanced fantasy simulations of its time, putting you not in a space ship or warplane, but in a battle mech. Might not mean much to most people who aren't sim fans, but it was a big deal to those who were crazy about the Battletech franchise as it was the most awesome videogame representation of a pen and paper RPG.

PLANESCAPE: TORMENT
Platform(s): PC
Developer: Black Isle Studios
Year Released: 1999
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Highly philosophical, deeply moral, insanely existential take on Dungeons & Dragons. Instead of using the usual Forgotten Realms setting, the developers throw you into the middle of the multiverse where all the D&D-verses intersect and places you onto a LITERAL search for the self.

You also get to hang out with a talking comedian skull, an 'orderly' chaos fiend, a justice-animated suit of armor and a mentally unstable, constantly burning ex-mage. It is quite literally the best D&D RPG ever. Once you've finished the game, you'll constantly be uttering "What can change the nature of a man?"

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6135401/index.html

Gemin said:
THIEF 2: THE METAL AGE
Developer: Looking Glass
Publisher: Eidos Interactive
The best stealth game there ever was. Probably even better than Metal Gear Solid OR Hitman. Hide in the shadows, use trick arrows a la Hawkeye and go ape**** and rob people's homes crazy. You're a completely amoral rogue who makes no apologies for being a heartless grabby fella.

Gemini said:
ICO
Platform(s): PS2
Developer: SCEI
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Year Released: 2001
Anybody who hated ICO has no soul.

Gemini said:
DUNE 2: THE BUILDING OF A DYNASTY
Developer: Westwood Studios
Publisher: Virgin Interactive
The originator of the real-time strategy game. The computer is still a ****ing cheater though. But I fixed that by editing the mission files manually and giving myself unlimited credits using only a text editor.

http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/halloffame/dune2.shtm

Last edited:
Damn Ourchair is rocking it out today.

It's like he just walked into the children's department of a library.
Let's just say there's finally a thread that talks about video games 'from my time'. I'm so not kidding.

It's slightly obvious that I think a lot about video games --- evident in some of my earlier posts, and in random treatments --- but I just don't participate in man threads because I don't relate to most everyone else's experiences.

And any time I DO make a long post about videogames most everyone ignores them anyway (try searching the site for Planescape, Fallout and Jagged Alliance)

Part of that has to do with the fact that a console is a luxury I can't really afford, and therefore most of my console gaming experience is limited to the PS1 and PS2 and the 8-bit FamiCom and the other part is that I haven't upgraded my system since 2004.

I must say, I love seeing Total Annihilation and Thief 2 on the list.

Back in the day, me and my best friend would argue endlessly over which was better: StarCraft or TA. I was always the SC boy and he was always the TA boy.

I respect TA an awful lot since it had a great sense of freedom in RTS's that previously did not exist. The choice of waging war on the land, air, sea, and underwater was GREAT whereas StarCraft only gave you land and limited air. I loved taking both online and fighting others. And online both were great fun. StarCraft was more balanced but TA was more hectic and brutal.

A TA match would have hundreds of units with air, missiles, missile defense towers, and mechs and tanks and Cavedog (the company that made it) would release brand new units once a week/month/whenever. It was kept up to date amazingly well with some weeks giving you multiple new units which were free to download and constantly changed how you and everyone else played the game.

But StarCraft still won out to me due to a great balance gameplay, and an actual storyline. The TA storyline was something about a great big war....and robots....and they were the ARM or CORE which looked a lot alike.

StarCraft's races looked differently, played differently, and had a story that connected them. And I always rate games better for single player than multiplayer.

And while I love seeing Thief 2 on the list, I must say I thought it was rather weak compared to Thief 1. Thief 2 reused far too much and didn't add enough new things to the game.

Slightly better AI, but for it's day Thief may have had the best AI around, even though it's easy to make fun of the guards seeing you, yelling, and then saying "Must be the wind."

Starcraft, the original Super Mario Bros, and Ocarina of Time are going to be in the top 10. Just watch.

If there's one thing you're known for, its your risky and controversial predictions.

Super Mario Bros and Ocarina of Time are safe bets though. I recall another 100 games list a few years ago had LoZ Link to the Past, tetris, and Super Metriod in the top three.

Reeeally?:wink:

not only is SMB1 a safe bet, SMB3 is, SMW is, and SM64 is

Mario Kart SNES is a safe bet

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country

Pokemon Red/Blue

Tetris and Pong

one of the other three 2D Sonics (IGN rated #1 lowest out of the 4)

one of the early MK's

a Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur game

a Tekken

a Street Fighter

and Super Smash Bros. Melee

Last edited:
But influence is only half the resume of a game on this list. You also have to factor in the scope of the game itself. The Halo games are popular for a reason, and that reason is that they're incredibly fun and compelling. Personally, Halo 2 is my all-time favourite game because I've yet to play a game that's topped it in plot, action gameplay, overall look, and music. It may not be the #1 best game of all time, but I still think it's of amazing quality, easily as good or better than....Tetris.... was at it's time.

Well said, and completely agree.

Super Mario Bros and Ocarina of Time are safe bets though. I recall another 100 games list a few years ago had LoZ Link to the Past, tetris, and Super Metriod in the top three.

not only is SMB1 a safe bet, SMB3 is, SMW is, and SM64 is

Mario Kart SNES is a safe bet

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country

Pokemon Red/Blue

Tetris and Pong

one of the other three 2D Sonics (IGN rated #1 lowest out of the 4)

one of the early MK's

a Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur game

a Tekken

a Street Fighter

and Super Smash Bros. Melee

Super Metroid is still my favorite game of all time and deserves a place in the top 3. I wouldn't mind seeing Halo in the top 5.

Latest posts

Back