IGN's Top 100 videogames of all time

Morrowind couldn't be any more boring. I tried it out, and got bored so quickly.

I LOVE Rpgs, but that's one game/series I can't stand.

Last edited:
Morrowind couldn't be any more boring. I tried it out, and got bored so quickly.

:shock: really?

It's cool and and you can like what you like. I just thought Morrowind and Oblivion later on were amazing with what you could do what you could look like ect....

I think whether or not you like Morrowind and the rest of the Elder Scrolls series depends entirely on which end of the spectrum you prefer your RPGs to fall in.

Some prefer their RPGs to be intricately detailed sandboxes --- meticulously crafted virtual realities in which you get to act out an alternate life --- that favor open-ended possibilities: Ultima Online for example, let you get away with making a living baking bread. Elder Scrolls games are infamous for the number of alternate non-adventuring careers you can gain. Darklands was more intricate representation of medieval Germany than a party quest.

Games that fall on the extreme end of this spectrum de-emphasize storytelling or scripted characters --- if not being generally plotless altogether --- by leaving the experience entirely up to the player, instead of chaining him to a narrative or binding his character growth to monster kills. The game developers doesn't pretend the computer can GM better than a human, and thus creates the world rather than a narrative experience.

Other people prefer their RPGs to be a meticulously crafted plot makes them the hero of a story. Unfortunately, to tell a decent story you have to create a relatively linear experience --- with freedom being limited to branching paths and variable-dependent endings --- and that severely curtails the freedom.

It just makes no dramatic sense for The Chosen One to spend several years of his life becoming the most wealthy cow-herder in all of Tolkienishlandia, then slaughter everyone in the town of Quaintsville because he decided to be homicidal, and then save the world from an army of supermutants.

The best of RPGs, I think fall somewhere in between.

In any case, the point I'm trying to make here is that Morrowind isn't a bad RPG, it's just built very differently from the RPG you want.

In the same fashion, Knights of the Old Republic isn't a bad RPG, but it's hardly as open-ended and 'role-playing' as other RPG fans want it to be.

I think whether or not you like Morrowind and the rest of the Elder Scrolls series depends entirely on which end of the spectrum you prefer your RPGs to fall in.

Some prefer their RPGs to be intricately detailed sandboxes --- meticulously crafted virtual realities in which you get to act out an alternate life --- that favor open-ended possibilities: Ultima Online for example, let you get away with making a living baking bread. Elder Scrolls games are infamous for the number of alternate non-adventuring careers you can gain. Darklands was more intricate representation of medieval Germany than a party quest.

Games that fall on the extreme end of this spectrum de-emphasize storytelling or scripted characters --- if not being generally plotless altogether --- by leaving the experience entirely up to the player, instead of chaining him to a narrative or binding his character growth to monster kills. The game developers doesn't pretend the computer can GM better than a human, and thus creates the world rather than a narrative experience.

Other people prefer their RPGs to be a meticulously crafted plot makes them the hero of a story. Unfortunately, to tell a decent story you have to create a relatively linear experience --- with freedom being limited to branching paths and variable-dependent endings --- and that severely curtails the freedom.

It just makes no dramatic sense for The Chosen One to spend several years of his life becoming the most wealthy cow-herder in all of Tolkienishlandia, then slaughter everyone in the town of Quaintsville because he decided to be homicidal, and then save the world from an army of supermutants.

The best of RPGs, I think fall somewhere in between.

In any case, the point I'm trying to make here is that Morrowind isn't a bad RPG, it's just built very differently from the RPG you want.

In the same fashion, Knights of the Old Republic isn't a bad RPG, but it's hardly as open-ended and 'role-playing' as other RPG fans want it to be.
I like RPGs to be intresting and fun. The Elder Scrolls series are not that.

Of course, Knights of the Old Republic was great and is the only time I've ever played a game and got to that one point and I was actually dumbstruck. It was a gaming moment I will always have.

I'm going to assume you mean the twist?

I'm in agreement here. Don't get me wrong, though. I appreciate what The Elder Scrolls series has done for the genre, but, personally, I find them to be incredibly boring and too open-ended.

Is it weird to love both?

KOTOR is my favourite game ever. I love Morrowind and Oblivion.

I think the only RPG's I don't like (with some exceptions) Is the final fantasy style BUT I still admit Final Fantasy games a great games just not my cup of tea.

The twist in KOTOR is ****ing awsome

Last edited:
I like RPGs to be intresting and fun. The Elder Scrolls series are not that.
I'm not disagreeing with that.

Interesting and fun are relative, however.

As it is, I don't care much for The Elder Scrolls series either.

SSJMole said:
No.

Clearly freelance RPG reviewer P. Stefan "Desslock" Janicki doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

:lol: Who?
If you've read a lot of computer gaming magazines or websites, then you might have noticed his name attached to a review of almost every PC RPG made from the 90s onwards.

No big deal, just seems that he seems to quietly write about RPGs all the time in almost every magazine and website and yet very open-minded about his preferences.

I only mentioned him simply because you said you like both KOTOR and Morrowind.

If you've read a lot of computer gaming magazines or websites, then you might have noticed his name attached to a review of almost every PC RPG made from the 90s onwards.

No big deal, just seems that he seems to quietly write about RPGs all the time in almost every magazine and website and yet very open-minded about his preferences.

I only mentioned him simply because you said you like both KOTOR and Morrowind.

Ah , I never notice names. The name "P. Stefan "Desslock" Janicki" just looked funny :lol: I thought it was one of names like "I.P. Freely"

That it is. It blew my mind when I found out.

Then I ****ed it all up by going full Light Side in my fluffy, white Jedi robe. :D

You monster :lol:

I only did light side once and that was because if you do it as dark and light the third time you get a diffrent ending and in one of them they quoted lines from the movie ect....

completed it many many times each time dark. KOTOR 2 however .... while still good I just didn't enjoy it half as much , in fact that could be my most disappointing game ever

Last edited:
Ah , I never notice names. The name "P. Stefan "Desslock" Janicki" just looked funny :lol: I thought it was one of names like "I.P. Freely"
Probably why he rarely uses the name 'P. Stefan Janicki' and opts for "Desslock" instead.

He doesn't attempt to conceal his identity or adopt a persona, but it's been his pen name for years, just as GameSpot's Erik Wolpaw has never hid his association with Old Man Murray.

You assume correctly. Dated graphics aside, if anyone reading this hasn't played KOTOR, you really should hunt it down and play it.

KOTOR is my favourite game ever. I love Morrowind and Oblivion.

I think the only RPG's I don't like (with some exceptions) Is the final fantasy style BUT I still admit Final Fantasy games a great games just not my cup of tea.

The twist in KOTOR is ****ing awsome

I totally agree with all of this. Love KOTOR, love Morrowind, love Oblivion...respect Final Fantasy but could never get into it.

About KOTOR.

I always play a game light sided first. Then dark sided. Other playthroughs depend on my mood and the name I give the character. A character named Darth Malice will not heal the universe and get it on with Bastilla. Darth Malice will kill every NPC possible and rule the Sith without an apprentice so he isn't betrayed by some up-start.

You monster :lol:

I only did light side once and that was because if you do it as dark and light the third time you get a diffrent ending and in one of them they quoted lines from the movie ect....

completed it many many times each time dark. KOTOR 2 however .... while still good I just didn't enjoy it half as much , in fact that could be my most disappointing game ever

Ever read the things they cut/didn't have time to put in from KOTOR 2?

There was a group that wanted to create a mod that restored most of what was cut, but I don't know if they ever finished. I completely lost interest in the game...

It wasn't terrible....but it wasn't good either. Had a lot of potential but they rushed the game and it truly suffered for it.

I totally agree with all of this. Love KOTOR, love Morrowind, love Oblivion...respect Final Fantasy but could never get into it.

About KOTOR.

I always play a game light sided first. Then dark sided. Other playthroughs depend on my mood and the name I give the character. A character named Darth Malice will not heal the universe and get it on with Bastilla. Darth Malice will kill every NPC possible and rule the Sith without an apprentice so he isn't betrayed by some up-start.

I played my way at first , it happened to be dark side :lol:

It wasn't terrible....but it wasn't good either. Had a lot of potential but they rushed the game and it truly suffered for it.

Agreed it was rushed that's why if there is a KOTOR III i hope they get it right

GRAN TURISMO 3: A-SPEC
Platform(s): PS2
Developer: Polyphony Digital
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Year Released: 2001

SUPER MARIO BROS. 3
Platform(s): NES
Developer: Nintendo R&D4
Publisher: Nintendo
Year Released: 1990

FINAL FANTASY TACTICS
Platform(s): PSX
Developer: Square
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Year Released: 1998

POKEMON BLUE VERSION
Platform(s): GB
Developer: Nintendo

GRIM FANDANGO
Platform(s): PC
Developer: LucasArts
Publisher: LucasArts

GRAND THEFT AUTO 3
Platform(s): PC, PS2, XBX
Developer: DMA Design
Publisher: Rockstar Games

DUES EX
Platform(s): MAC, PC, PS2
Developer: Ion Storm
Publisher: Eidos Interactive
Year Released: 2000

FALLOUT
Platform(s): MAC, PC
Developer: Interplay
Publisher: Interplay
Year Released: 1997

HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED
Platform(s): XBX, MAC, PC
Developer: Bungie Software
Publisher: Microsoft

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA'S MASK
Platform(s): N64
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Year Released: 2000

'Used to'? What happened?

Did Grim Fandango break up with you? Did it do so in public at the food court? Did it never return those comics you lent it too?

:lol: :lol: Use to till I lost my disc of it and had my pc wiped. :cry: i miss it

Latest posts

Back